Questions From a Returning Student

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Questions From a Returning Student

Post by 74novaman »

:iagree: Had an AK and a pistol in my car when I lived on campus. No problems.
TANSTAAFL

BroTyler
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BroTyler »

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the parking lot is clearly legal.
You're right. I just hadn't seen that. My summer project is essentially making sure I'm in the clear for when the Fall starts. Can school policy over-ride the state laws? I called the University Police to ask my initial question ("can I leave it in my trunk?"), and they kind of fumbled around for a second before telling me I was supposed to just check it in with them every day.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

BroTyler wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the parking lot is clearly legal.
You're right. I just hadn't seen that. My summer project is essentially making sure I'm in the clear for when the Fall starts. Can school policy over-ride the state laws? I called the University Police to ask, and they kind of fumbled around for a second before telling me I was supposed to just check it in with them every day.
Unfortunately yes, school policy can override the law as to the possession on campus for a student or faculty member. However, it would not be illegal, you would just be subject to disciplinary action by the school up to and including expulsion.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jester

Post by jester »

Schools can make all kinds of rules for employees and students. Section 6 of this file has the range of penalties for students violating University of Texas rules.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

BroTyler

Post by BroTyler »

Looks like I'll just check it in and out each day, then. No sense losing my academic career all because a university has decided I'm not big enough to think for myself and just follow the laws of the state.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Texas A&M University has a rule (http://rules.tamu.edu/PDFs/34.06.02.M1.pdf) that defines premises the same as the Texas CHL law does. So I take it to mean that a CHL can carry in a University driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage or other parking area.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Texgun

Post by Texgun »

Have you considered actually applying for permission to carry on campus. Your results would be interesting.
Texgun
College Station, TX

BroTyler

Post by BroTyler »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Texas A&M University has a rule (http://rules.tamu.edu/PDFs/34.06.02.M1.pdf) that defines premises the same as the Texas CHL law does. So I take it to mean that a CHL can carry in a University driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage or other parking area.
I'm trying to find similar documents for the other schools in the TAMU system, including the Health Science Center branches. The TAMU-Kingsville site just has a bunch of broken links.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

BroTyler wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Texas A&M University has a rule (http://rules.tamu.edu/PDFs/34.06.02.M1.pdf) that defines premises the same as the Texas CHL law does. So I take it to mean that a CHL can carry in a University driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage or other parking area.
I'm trying to find similar documents for the other schools in the TAMU system, including the Health Science Center branches. The TAMU-Kingsville site just has a bunch of broken links.
I've never looked at the other campuses, but there was a thread in late 2009 indicating that TAMU Galveston was more restrictive.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

BroTyler

Post by BroTyler »

UPDATE:

I just called the University Police Dept at TAMU-Kingsville and got a different answer. I explained I had a CHL and knew I couldn't carry in the buildings and just wanted to leave my firearm in the trunk of my car. The person on the phone checked with someone and said "normally we ask that you check it in with us, but you can leave it in your car." I even asked a few more questions to make sure it wasn't against campus policy, etc, and got the go-ahead.

My CHL is "pending manufacturing" but it look like a good start to a semester. :thumbs2:

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”