Texas State

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Texas State

Post by srothstein »

Well, the subject is being discussed on campuses now. It seems like there is at least the glimmer of hope for it if they will allow discussions.

Here is one article from a discussion on Texas State where my daughter attends:
http://star.txstate.edu/content/packing ... ty-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Rothstein

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas State

Post by kalipsocs »

Fellow Bobcat here as well as member of the SCCC. I am astounded though that these professors with such education cannot reason that having a firearm on or about my person doesn't all the sudden make me a mad man if I get a bad grade. I think its ignorance of the issue as well as naivety as these people walk amongst people who carry all day everyday and never know it. I am also offended that this Psychology professor would argue that I would result to murder over a heated debate or grades. The people who want to do that DON'T NEED A LICENSE TO DO IT!! One thing is for sure though, I will keep fighting the good fight I promise you that! :cheers2:

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Wow. Some of these people seriously need some perspective. Do they seriously think CHL holders are going to go shooting people because they got a bad grade? :???:
Joycelyn Pollock, professor in the criminal justice department, said faculty commonly joke, ‘if students have handguns, no one will want to hand back tests.’
None of them realize that if someone who would shoot a teacher over a bad grade is not going to care whether it is legal to have the gun there in the first place???

What a bunch of idiots.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

lj bluesboy

Post by lj bluesboy »

Sadly, this kind of thing is the rule rather than the exception. No matter how badly things will get, administrators, professors, and campus police chiefs will continue to cover their ears yelling "I CANT HEAR YOU" because to do anything else would risk their cushy retirement packages. One of John Farnam's "Quips" really sums up the situation well:

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/21Feb08.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At my school, last week there were three separate armed robberies committed by the same guy in one week (armed with a "silver revolver" and pepper spray). Not only that, but all three occurred in the same place! The PD has yet to catch the guy and has no suspects. And yet, the new police chief continues to urge us peon students in the Annual Security Bulletin to "...resist if the attacker is only after your purse or other valuables. Dont escalate a property crime into a violent confrontation." (emphasis added) Last I checked, armed robbery is a violent confrontation. Don't get me wrong, the rank and file campus cops here are about as good as they can be. However, their "leadership" and campus directors dont have a clue.
I'm a Ramblin Rack from George's attack, and an Elephant Engineer!
App received by DPS 5/9; CHL issued day 129, 9/15

bonehead1185

Post by bonehead1185 »

kalipsocs wrote:Fellow Bobcat here as well as member of the SCCC. I am astounded though that these professors with such education cannot reason that having a firearm on or about my person doesn't all the sudden make me a mad man if I get a bad grade. I think its ignorance of the issue as well as naivety as these people walk amongst people who carry all day everyday and never know it. I am also offended that this Psychology professor would argue that I would result to murder over a heated debate or grades. The people who want to do that DON'T NEED A LICENSE TO DO IT!! One thing is for sure though, I will keep fighting the good fight I promise you that! :cheers2:
After reading the story I feel exactly the same way as you do, being a fellow Bobcat as well. I'm just curious if those professors know what the qualifications are exactly to get a CHL? From the "excuses" they use it seems they don't. Now I'm not saying that someone could "snap" and lose control, an EXTREMELY small chance of happening. I would rather know that I am safe at school if anything were to ever happen. Just based on the layout of the school itself, it takes emergency personnel a while to get from one side of campus to the other since they basically have to drive around the whole campus. That extra time it takes them could have costly effects.

My other issue with the article is at the end with the criminal justice professor's quote "When UPD or first responders arrive on the scene, they’re not going to know who is the original shooter and who are citizens who are trying to defend themselves or others." I understand that is likely but its not 100% certain. This is just my opinion, but my common sense kicks in and I think to myself what I would do in that situation. I would immediately drop my weapon and get on the ground while following any other orders given to me. Then I think, what would the "shooter" do? More than likely I think they would not follow orders and continue shooting or something else but my point is that I feel the police would be able to identify the culprit relatively fast based on the actions of the people involved. Am I way off base here in my thinking?
8-10-08: CHL class taken
8-15-08: Mailed application
8-18-08: Received in Austin
9-3-08: PIN received - Processing Application
10-6-08: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active- 7 weeks after received!
10-10-08: Plastic received!!!!!!!!! 2 months to the day after class!!!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

bonehead1185 wrote:"When UPD or first responders arrive on the scene, they’re not going to know who is the original shooter and who are citizens who are trying to defend themselves or others."
An active shooter situation on a campus would be no different than one anywhere else. The bad guy is the one shooting indiscriminately at targets of opportunity and at the police. The good guy is the one shooting at the bad guy.

Many highly educated folks seem to be a bit flummoxed when faced with real world issues, because they don't operate in an environment where decisions lead to actions that have real consequences. They think it makes sense to have the certainty of identifying the bad guy as the one with the gun, and the good guys as all the submissive people he shot. They value ease of actor identification over survival, and are willing to accept repeated slaughters of the innocent to preserve their fantasies.

These folks apparently haven't successfully grasped Mark Twain's dictum that one shouldn't let his schooling interfere with his education.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kalipsocs »

Nope my friend you a right on. Cops usually don't shoot first and ask later. They would most likely not be quite as nice in other situations, but I expect to be yelled at, guns pointed, and detained if I have a gun out in a situation like that. But you got it....you do whatever they say. No one ever knows what exactly would happen until they are in the situation. I will tell you one thing...there is no way cops are getting anywhere fast around that campus. The fastest routes would be on foot and those hills aren't conducive to getting anywhere fast. Going from McCoy to Hines with 15 minutes between classes and I was late everyday not to mention out of breath!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kalipsocs wrote:Fellow Bobcat here as well as member of the SCCC. I am astounded though that these professors with such education cannot reason that having a firearm on or about my person doesn't all the sudden make me a mad man if I get a bad grade. I think its ignorance of the issue as well as naivety as these people walk amongst people who carry all day everyday and never know it. I am also offended that this Psychology professor would argue that I would result to murder over a heated debate or grades. The people who want to do that DON'T NEED A LICENSE TO DO IT!! One thing is for sure though, I will keep fighting the good fight I promise you that! :cheers2:
This argument in opposition to campus-carry is identical to the arguments against the CHL statute. Fender-benders would become gun fights, verbal disputes would become gun fights, more spouses will get killed, more kids will get killed, the price of oil will skyrocket! Oops, I got carried away with that last one. Seriously, the arguments against CHL were purely emotional scare tactics, as are the arguments against campus-carry.

Chas.

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I carried on campus when I went there.

Why?

Because my room mate and his friends did, and they were dealing drugs. I fully expected to one day have to shoot them.

Does anyone remember the Sagewood shooting that took place mid-October 2004? My room mate was the getaway driver and his best friend the shooter. :banghead:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Here's a clue for those morons:

The bad guy is the one shooting at a bunch of obviously defenseless people. The good guy is the one shooing at the guy shooting at everybody else. He's also the one who says "thank god you're here" when the useless rent-a-cops finally do show up.
Byron Dickens

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”