University of North Texas UNT

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Alex
Posts in topic: 1

University of North Texas UNT

Post by Alex »

Hi guys, I'm a current student at UNT. In our school's newspaper the "NT Daily" there was an article on Tuesday (3/31/09 I think) about the bill. Our School's president Gretchen said she opposes it. I'm going to try and get an old copy so I can scan it and upload it. Anyone else on here from UNT?

Aric
Posts in topic: 2

Re: University of North Texas UNT

Post by Aric »

I thought it was illegal for a state employee to comment on pending legislation. At least when they (the local news) where asking questions of the local colleges they all said the same thing. "Its illegal to comment on pending legislation"

Aric
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Aric »

dontshakepandas

Post by dontshakepandas »

I'm a UNT student also, and I am really hoping this passes.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

go mean green.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

barres

Post by barres »

I read the comments, and, as usual, there is some hand-wringing about blood in the streets (or campus, if you prefer). I posted the following reply:
barres wrote:This bill is not about arming faculty, staff, and students on college campuses. This is about allowing those who would be armed elsewhere to remain armed when they come on campus and into the classrooms. It's not about providing a wall of protection for the good-natured people on campus. It's about removing a wall of protection for those on campus wishing others harm. As things stand right now, a criminal on campus who wants to hurt or kill someone else knows that he will not meet armed resistance until the police arrive, usually several minutes after he starts doing his dirty work. Perhaps several long minutes after he has finished.

As far as those who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun, you've stood next to them at Walmart and sat near them in movie theaters, and you never knew it. Because they know that using their handgun in an illicit manner would have dire consequences. They've been through a class that emphasized those consequences to rashness with their handgun.

My last comment on this issue is simply this: this bill is not about preventing mass murders like what happened at Virginia Tech, though it may do just that to some degree. As Adam said, there wouldn't be enough armed students on campus to make that big of a difference. But the criminals won't know which 10 - 20 students are armed, and which are not. It's a Concealed Handgun License, after all. This bill is designed to help with all forms of violence and crime on campus. When my girlfriend (now wife) was going to school and living in a dorm, there was one semester where there were 2 rapes committed on-campus within one semester. She is a petite woman, and against a large aggressive male, would stand little chance of being able to protect herself from such a criminal. Unless she had a tool that gave her the advantage while taking away the criminal's size and weight advantage. You know, a tool like a concealed handgun.
Now we'll see if they approve it for publication. And we'll see if anyone sees the light.

ETA: They already approved it for publication.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

getamap

Post by getamap »

I'm also a UNT student. I'd be very pleased to see this bill pass. I know a couple faculty members who are chl's themselves and wish they could carry on campus too. :txflag:
-Mike

PocketGroove

Post by PocketGroove »

Hey Guys,
I'm also a UNT student and, coming off of 3 years active duty army, I don't know what I'd do if I had to live on campus! Thankfully, from what I've read and understand of the law, we are well within our rights to keep our firearms concealed in our vehicles in university parking lots, we just cannot bring them inside any "facility" like a building or stadium. But walking on the sidewalk outside a building is, supposedly, ok.

Zee

Post by Zee »

When I went to NTSU they didn't have CHL but they had packing.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”