Public College Opt Out?

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mreavis
Posts in topic: 2

Public College Opt Out?

Post by mreavis »

OK, I am trying to understand the idea of allowing an amendment to let public colleges opt out.

My question is: Say the bill did get the amendment and then did pass. What changes from the way things are right now?

I'm confused already because CHL hand book state law says carrying on college campuses is illegal but its the colleges choice? Does that mean if the college chooses to allow it, state law is voided?

And if the bill goes through with the public opt out amendment that would mean college campuses would be required to post 30.06 just like most businesses? And would no longer be a "given" no carry spot.

OR would it change absolutely nothing and our representatives don't even realize they are wasting their time debating the topic? I mean if it changes nothing and thats where you stand, why bother filling amended legislation that changes no laws?

Any help is appreciated, I usually try and research and figure these things out on my own, and I will continue to do so. However, I am interested in outside opinions.

P.S.- Obviously we don't want public college opt out. But if it takes away the "given" no guns in school state law and makes posting required it could lead to some campuses where only school policy would stop one from carrying, not state law.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Public College Opt Out?

Post by RPB »

Depends on how NEW law is written There are several different bills in the works.

I want it de-criminalized, (unable to post an enforceable 30.06 sign) but if they want to post a "gunbuster" sign and expel people, ok, good luck with that.

I could NOT go for an "opt out" allowing school policy to decide law (enforceable 30.06 signs)on public property.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
mreavis
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Public College Opt Out?

Post by mreavis »

Indeed, with there being different bills it could be different.

I am on the same page as you. If we can't get the flat out full right to carry, I just want to see it de-criminalized. I think risk vs reward for campus carry while against state law is too much. If it were only school policy being broken that would greatly tip the scales in my opinion.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”