Articles about zaffrini cutting off nose to spite face

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Articles about zaffrini cutting off nose to spite face

Post by RPB »

Took her ball and went home because others play better than she does

This thread for Articles/News SB 5 related

Campus-carry issue stalls higher-ed bill
By Mike Ward | Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... _in_s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another article
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-educa ... te--again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Articles about zaffrini cutting off nose to spite face

Post by hirundo82 »

Did they ever come back from recess? The website doesn't say they've adjourned until tomorrow--did they all go to dinner?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:Did they ever come back from recess? The website doesn't say they've adjourned until tomorrow--did they all go to dinner?
yes senate is in session on some budget thing now.

You missed campus carry attaching as amendment 8, Wentworth accepted one amendment to reimburse and college having higher insurance due to chls and immunity from lawsuits

all other amendments.... he opposed and they failed
and everyone agreed and it passed and Zaffrini pulled the entire bill and tore it up

so on to the next battle. zaffrini does not want cheaper insurance and to lower tuition.
Last edited by RPB on Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Yeah, I saw that whole thread; I was hoping Wentworth had some trick up his sleeve when they started up again.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:Yeah, I saw that whole thread; I was hoping Wentworth had some trick up his sleeve when they started up again.
2 news articles out on it ... Wentworth said he's looking for the next bill to attach it to ... unless he gets a 21st vote ;-)
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

RPB wrote:Wentworth said he's looking for the next bill to attach it to
The issue is finding a higher ed bill to attach it to whose author won't withdraw it if a campus carry amendment is offered. Looking over the intent and ROB calendars, the only higher ed bill authored by a Republican is by Ogden, so that won't work. There are several authored by Zaffirini, a couple by Van de Putte (the "doctors can't be trusted with guns" senator), and one by West (who is about as likely to allow it as Ellis).

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

hirundo82 wrote:
The issue is finding a higher ed bill to attach it to whose author won't withdraw it if a campus carry amendment is offered. Looking over the intent and ROB calendars, the only higher ed bill authored by a Republican is by Ogden, so that won't work. There are several authored by Zaffirini, a couple by Van de Putte (the "doctors can't be trusted with guns" senator), and one by West (who is about as likely to allow it as Ellis).
The question isn't will they allow it. The question is, will they withdraw the bill when the amendment passes. Because it's clear that the amendment will pass no matter what bill it's attached to. The sad part is that a minority of the Senate can prevent a bill from being debated on its merits, even if a majority will vote for it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warhorse10_9 »

I am beginning to wonder if it may not have been better to originally bring up a campus carry bill that would prevent a university from establishing any rules regarding handguns on the currently designated premises (like a campus carry "parking lot" bill ie I couldn't get expelled for keeping my gun in my car), and then amend the bill to extend the definition of premises after it had come up for consideration. I wonder if that would have worked better. Just a thought.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

warhorse10_9 wrote:I am beginning to wonder if it may not have been better to originally bring up a campus carry bill that would prevent a university from establishing any rules regarding handguns on the currently designated premises (like a campus carry "parking lot" bill ie I couldn't get expelled for keeping my gun in my car), and then amend the bill to extend the definition of premises after it had come up for consideration. I wonder if that would have worked better. Just a thought.
Wow... nice.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

baldeagle wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
The question isn't will they allow it. The question is, will they withdraw the bill when the amendment passes. Because it's clear that the amendment will pass no matter what bill it's attached to. The sad part is that a minority of the Senate can prevent a bill from being debated on its merits, even if a majority will vote for it.
Hirundo82, do you know what any of those other higher ed bills are about? I haven't looked in to them, but I would think the next best candidate for a campus carry amendment would be whatever bill is most critical or most sought by higher ed after SB 5.

I agree with what I think Baldeagle might be suggesting - if Ogden, Zaffirini, Van de Putte, and West won't allow SB 354 to be debated on its merits, will they actually pull their own higher ed bills after campus carry amendments are attached to them one by one? Would they be willing to have all their higher ed legislation shut down this session because they continue to stand in the way of campus carry? I'd love to see a campus carry amendment attached to each of these other higher ed bills, one by one, until either someone refuses to pull down their own bill with the CC amendment, or someone steps up to be the 21st vote for SB 354.
NRA Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

NorthTexas wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Hirundo82, do you know what any of those other higher ed bills are about? I haven't looked in to them, but I would think the next best candidate for a campus carry amendment would be whatever bill is most critical or most sought by higher ed after SB 5.

I agree with what I think Baldeagle might be suggesting - if Ogden, Zaffirini, Van de Putte, and West won't allow SB 354 to be debated on its merits, will they actually pull their own higher ed bills after campus carry amendments are attached to them one by one? Would they be willing to have all their higher ed legislation shut down this session because they continue to stand in the way of campus carry? I'd love to see a campus carry amendment attached to each of these other higher ed bills, one by one, until either someone refuses to pull down their own bill with the CC amendment, or someone steps up to be the 21st vote for SB 354.
Here's what a text search for "higher education" turns up:

Zaffirini - SB 32
Van de Putte - SB 639 - this one looks promising - it involves veterans and military personnel - let's see a Dem pull that bill!
Van de Putte - SB 1348
Patrick - SB 1396 - this one looks promising, Patrick supports campus carry, so Wentworth could offer his amendment and Patrick could accept - then we get an up or down vote and campus carry passes.

There may be others as well, but I have to go to bed. Not retired yet.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I see it being germane to and university money saving due to cheaper premiums/immunity
I see it being germane to military/veterans on campus ... sorta

Too bad it can't now be tacked onto Parking lots .... for those employed at schools ....
I'm no lawyer

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Are there any crime bills that SB 354 could be attached to as an amendment? To me that would highlight the most important aspect of campus carry, namely that it is a personal security, anti-crime measure.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Are there any crime bills that SB 354 could be attached to as an amendment? To me that would highlight the most important aspect of campus carry, namely that it is a personal security, anti-crime measure.
:iagree:

The remaining higher ed bills are either:
A) better acceptance of credits of non-traditional means
B) free rides for vets and families (including reimbursements from soldiers of previous wars)
C) free rides for kids who "qualify"

That's my take after a very quick perusal.

Don't see any way to make CC germane to any of these.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

NorthTexas wrote:Hirundo82, do you know what any of those other higher ed bills are about? I haven't looked in to them, but I would think the next best candidate for a campus carry amendment would be whatever bill is most critical or most sought by higher ed after SB 5.
Looking at the Senate calendars for today, the higher ed bills upcoming (excluding SB5 and SB321) are:

On the ROB:
SB 1581 (CS) Ogden Relating to state fiscal matters related to public and higher education.
SB 1564 (CS) (LC) West Relating to developmental education courses and the assessment of student readiness under the Texas Success Initiative for public institutions of higher education.
SB 32 (CS) (LC) Zaffirini Relating to the consolidation of related higher education programs governing tuition, fee exemptions, and waivers respective to specific target populations.
SB 1621 Van de Putte/ et al. Relating to establishing veterans resource centers at certain institutions of higher education.

On the intent calendar:
SB 1823 (CS) Patrick/ Hinojosa Relating to guaranteed student loans and alternative education loans.

SB1823 would be the best option--Patrick is an SB321 cosponsor, and Hinojosa isn't 100% opposed. The main issue I can see is whether a campus carry amendment would be considered germane to a higher ed loans bill (although if the author is the only one that can challenge that it may not be an issue).

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”