Universities creating regulations against students carrying

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
aggie10
Posts in topic: 2

Universities creating regulations against students carrying

Post by aggie10 »

If the concealed carry on campus bill passes will schools be able to create regulations in the student/staff handbook that keep students from carrying. The reason I ask is that some schools have regulations that do not allow students to store firearms in their vehicles on campus even if they have a CHL, or at least that is what I have heard.
Thanks
05/31/09- CHL Class
06/02/09- Mailed application to DPS
07/02/09- Received pin number
09/05/09- Application Approved
09/12/09- Plastic in hand

aggiedev
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Universities creating regulations against students carry

Post by aggiedev »

As written, no. The bill explicitly prohibits an institution of higher education from adopting such rules. However, they will be able to regulate and make provisions for how guns are stored in dorms. Easy solution: live off campus.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

PM sent because I learned how to send PMs and it's fun :mrgreen:
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
aggie10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aggie10 »

GREAT!! Sorry for the dumb question but as I am in medical school now I don't have much time to look over the bills. Thank You
05/31/09- CHL Class
06/02/09- Mailed application to DPS
07/02/09- Received pin number
09/05/09- Application Approved
09/12/09- Plastic in hand

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

As it currently stands, campus carry will only apply to public institutions of higher education. Private schools could still ban guns.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

aggiedev

Post by aggiedev »

baldeagle wrote:As it currently stands, campus carry will only apply to public institutions of higher education. Private schools could still ban guns.
Is there a place where we can read the "engrossed" version of SB 1581?

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jasonw560 »

Not until the Senate vote record is up. And it's not up yet.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

aggie10 wrote:GREAT!! Sorry for the dumb question but as I am in medical school now I don't have much time to look over the bills. Thank You
The final version hasn't been posted yet, but it's my understanding that this bill will not apply to medical schools.

Brian

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

so far that student from Baylor College of Medicine who was robbed by two men at gunpoint, giving up his cell phone and wallet.,,, at Rice who was robbed weeks ago n campus at gunpoint ... is still what they want.
See viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44659&p=541955&hilit=rice#p541171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We'll see what comes out in the wash
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

BrianSW99 wrote:
aggie10 wrote:GREAT!! Sorry for the dumb question but as I am in medical school now I don't have much time to look over the bills. Thank You
The final version hasn't been posted yet, but it's my understanding that this bill will not apply to medical schools.

Brian
If it's the same one as presented in SB 5, then it just bans them "on the premises of a hospital maintained or
operated by an institution of higher education". Not the medical schools. Van De Putte offered that amendment, and it was tabled in SB 5.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Yeah, I recall one certain campus where the school was physically connected to the hospital .... she wanted an opt out for ...didn't happen
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:Yeah, I recall one certain campus where the school was physically connected to the hospital .... she wanted an opt out for ...didn't happen
UT Health Science Center-San Antonio.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

aggiedev wrote:
baldeagle wrote:As it currently stands, campus carry will only apply to public institutions of higher education. Private schools could still ban guns.
Is there a place where we can read the "engrossed" version of SB 1581?
Not yet. Within the next few days, it should show up here under the section "Amendments". Also, I disagree with the analysis that it won't apply to private schools. We haven't seen today's amendment yet, but I expect it will be the same as the one Wentworth attached to SB 5 last week. That amendment is available here and makes no distinction between public and private schools. That means it applies equally to all schools - both public and private.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Jasonw560 wrote:If it's the same one as presented in SB 5, then it just bans them "on the premises of a hospital maintained or
operated by an institution of higher education". Not the medical schools. Van De Putte offered that amendment, and it was tabled in SB 5.
Yep, that's the one that's in the engrossed version of SB1581:
(e) This section does not permit a license holder to carry a
concealed handgun on or about the premises of a hospital maintained
or operated by an institution of higher education. In this
subsection, "hospital" has the meaning assigned by Section 241.003,
Health and Safety Code.
As far as I am aware, that would only apply to UTMB, MD Anderson, and UTHSCSA. Most medical schools in Texas don't actually own or operate the hospitals where there students rotate.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

A-R

Post by A-R »

hirundo82 wrote:
(e) This section does not permit a license holder to carry a
concealed handgun on or about the premises of a hospital maintained
or operated by an institution of higher education. In this
subsection, "hospital" has the meaning assigned by Section 241.003,
Health and Safety Code.
As far as I am aware, that would only apply to UTMB, MD Anderson, and UTHSCSA. Most medical schools in Texas don't actually own or operate the hospitals where there students rotate.
Is this now ADDING restrictions to concealed carry? Currently a hospital would be required to give 30.06 notice to prevent concealed carry. Or is this just saying that ONLY university hospitals are now statutorily off limits (instead of the entire university premises)?

:headscratch

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”