Professors plan to boycott classes where students carry

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Monker10
Posts in topic: 2

Professors plan to boycott classes where students carry

Post by Monker10 »

This is hilarious :smilelol5:
quote from the linked article "If the bill in Texas becomes law, some professors there have said they plan to include a clause in syllabi stipulating that students are not be permitted to carry guns into their classroom -- and then simply refuse to teach classes where students don't assent. "

Here is the article link http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archi ... ca/237915/

Reloader
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Professors plan to boycott classes where students carry

Post by Reloader »

They can and will lose funding from Federal and state for discrimination against the student's right to receive an education. they can also receive fines, loss of tenure, and assorted other civil rights violations.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

Monker10 wrote:This is hilarious :smilelol5:
quote from the linked article "If the bill in Texas becomes law, some professors there have said they plan to include a clause in syllabi stipulating that students are not be permitted to carry guns into their classroom -- and then simply refuse to teach classes where students don't assent. "

These folks have spent too long in the ivory tower.

Tantrums notwithstanding, if the campus carry bill becomes law, they will either have to live with it or work to change it, as we're doing right now.

If they don't show up for work because they believe they have the authority to deny the constitutional rights of their students, the follow up is pretty simple - they'll have to be fired and replaced with folks who will do what they're paid for.

That's called real life - and it occasionally catches up with folks in universities too.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Monker10 wrote:This is hilarious :smilelol5:

That's fine with me. People that stupid shouldn't be lecturing anyone else anyway. :mad5
TANSTAAFL

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

This might work if you actually had any clue who was or wasnt carrying. *sarcasm*

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

Yes this dog has no bite. I have worked with professors for a number of years and some love to yell and rant about things and try to control every facet of the students life. But ultimately they will back down if they realize it will hurt them careerwise. I can just imagine several professors I know will be saying the exact same empty threat. :biggrinjester:

fickman

Post by fickman »

. . . concealed is concealed, and most professors are not law enforcement officers (schools with police academies being the obvious exception) to whom we must show our CHL upon request of an ID.

Sounds like a bunch of self-righteous, sanctimonious academics spewing empty rhetoric to me. Business as usual. :tiphat:
Native Texian

packingmusician

Post by packingmusician »

Works for me! I'm about to get my doctorate, so I'll be in the market for a job. Go ahead and make it easier for me! :txflag:
06/03/2010:application sent
06/07/2010:photo's
06/08/2010:Prints
06/16/2010:Class taken
06/28/2010: Checklist complete and sent. Let the wait begin!
07/06: status
08/05: background check complete!
08/11/2010: Plastic!!!!!!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

How will they know the students are carrying if the guns are concealed? :mrgreen:
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

Venus Pax wrote:How will they know the students are carrying if the guns are concealed? :mrgreen:
DING, DING, DING! We have a winner!

I was wondering the same thing.

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GEM-Texas »

Won't happen.

1. They won't know
2. That's grounds for breaking tenure if you refuse to meet your classes.

Horsepoop.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Monker10 wrote:"If the bill in Texas becomes law, some professors there have said they plan to include a clause in syllabi stipulating that students are not be permitted to carry guns into their classroom -- and then simply refuse to teach classes where students don't assent. "
I think that's an excellent idea. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

WildBill wrote:
Monker10 wrote:"If the bill in Texas becomes law, some professors there have said they plan to include a clause in syllabi stipulating that students are not be permitted to carry guns into their classroom -- and then simply refuse to teach classes where students don't assent. "
:iagree:

Students will get a much better education from rational, intelligent substitute instructors than immature dimwits. One of my best classes was taught by a grad student.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Ameer wrote:
WildBill wrote:
:iagree:

Students will get a much better education from rational, intelligent substitute instructors than immature dimwits. One of my best classes was taught by a grad student.
:iagree: The problem with many professors is that they talk at the students rather than to them. It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that communication is supposed to go both ways.
NRA Endowment Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

And I don't like the idea of anyone carrying a gun in public, let alone a 21-year-old student fueled by testosterone and alcohol. When I was at university in the mid-'90s, we drank far more than was good for us. Add guns to the mix and it's a volatile concoction. When you think of it like that: giving guns to young students largely interested in sex and booze, I'd wager it seems less of a genius idea.
Ya gotta love these arguments. I'd love to see one, just one, real life example of this kind of thinking. I wonder what the author would do if he realized that there could be over 600,00 concealed handgun licenses in Texas before the end of 2011? It is certainly a statement that the entire college population is only interested in sex and booze. I wonder what the student counsels in the Texas universities might say to the author if he had to stand up in front of them and defend that statement?

:iagree: that all of the professors who will just need to change their underwear if there are students in their classes with concealed handguns need to find another line of work. If we could do without the air traffic controllers under Regan, we can sure do without a few protesting professors in Texas. Maybe they can move to CA where they might find some more kindred spirits.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”