Special Session?

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Special Session?

Post by GEM-Texas »

On some other forums, proponents of campus carry seem to think that if Perry is forced to call a special session, campus carry can resurface.

From those close to the fray - is this a reasonable possibility?

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Special Session?

Post by RPB »

PLEASE CALL FAX EMAIL NOW
CALL & FAX Gov. Perry - Campus Carry in Special Session

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=45482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking to a staffer ,,, hold time is short, bout 20 seconds

Now whether Perry thinks its a good move or not for a Presidential possibility ... is another matter.

Can't hurt to ask and .. maybe (since President Pro Tem of Senate is Pro 2A ... A+ NRA rated ..... maybe ......

Optimists "Never say (sine) die" :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Oops, sorry to have missed that. I was not optimistic about asking Perry to call a special session just for campus carry and thought faxing for that was a waste.

But if one is actually occuring, it might work. But I see the point about ratings. On the other hand, since Perry deliberately didn't give priority to campus carry, might he have his rating threatened to be lowered if he doesn't take another chance to make up for his disinterest?

Maybe someone should tell him they saw a coyote in the Intro Bio lecture section in Austin? :lol:

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I have no particular inside knowledge, but I suspect campus carry won't be considered important enough for the special session. Gov. Perry could have added it to the special session 2 years ago when we were so close to getting it passed, but he didn't.

Still, it certainly doesn't hurt to contact him and ask.

Topic author
GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

2009, well that's a hint. I supposed sonograms were a burning issue for his emergency viewpoint. :banghead:

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Yeah, like I said, can't hurt to ask; they'll all be having a Special Session anyway at a cost of 5 million to us
TWIA (Wind/Hurricane Insurance) Hurricane Season statrts soon
and Education ... may as well make it a 3some on issues

Here's John Woods congratulatory speech (read the whole thing)
http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=211 ... aa685913a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Send some cookies
"rlol"

Let's see, if Lt. Gov Dewhurst is "out of town/State/country", the new Pro Tem becomes Lt. Gov/ presides over Senate, if Perry goes along too ... I guess the Interim Gov is Jackson?

Perhaps if timing was right, he could preside over the Senate, then sign it as Gov too?

Perry might need a little rest before starting a Presidential Campaign ...

Doesn't hurt to ask, and Wishing on something there's a "chance" is better than doing nothing.... we may only get 2013 anyway, but lets show that we won't just "go away"

A New Session: New Rules, and a GOP Wish List

by Ross Ramsey
2 minutes ago
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-legis ... wish-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dewhurst asked Perry to consider a number of other issues, which he listed in his letter: His healthcare bill, SB 8; a Medicaid reform bill considered essential to the state budget passed last weekend, SB 23; interstate health compacts, HB 5; a ban on sanctuary cities in Texas, HB 12; the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association reforms that died during parleys between tort reformers and trial lawyers, HB 272; higher class sizes and other loosened state mandates on public schools, SB 12/HB 400; legislation restricting "intrusive touching" by security personnel at airports and other buildings, HB 1937; and congressional redistricting, HB 900/SB 308. The bill numbers are from the regular legislative session; those issues would get new numbers in a special session.
Dewhurst told reporters Monday that the Senate won't put a "blocker bill" in place during the special session, erasing the normal requirement that two-thirds of the Senate agree to something before it can be debated. That will make several of those issues easier to pass, should Perry agree to add them to the call.

"Given that a small number of Senate Democrats have demonstrated their unwillingness to find consensus on these important legislative items, I can see no other alternative than to operate under a simple majority vote in the special session," he wrote in his letter to Perry.
The governor has talked to legislative leaders about including several items in the special session, but not all at once. Instead, they're talking about trying to pass legislation in series, moving quickly and adding items to the call as each item wins passage, according to sources.
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jasonw560 »

Methinks the Rubenesque beauty has not yet intoned her final aria.

I will lament if it does not appear in the special session. Until then, I will be cautiously optimistic.

Faxing tonight. Callng tomorrow, before I go to South Padre for a few days.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Dewhurst's letter:
Dear Governor Perry,

Unfortunately, despite the very hard work and determination of the majority of Members of both the House and Senate, the Legislature was unable to pass a number of important bills, including SB 1811 needed to fund the budget, before the deadline of midnight last night.

Still, there is still an outside possibility that SB 1811 could pass the Texas Senate today with the bipartisan support of four-fifths of the Members. However, if this vote should fail − forcing us into Special Session − I believe that it would be in the best interest of all Texans to start tomorrow and ask you to consider including the following bills in your call:

SB 1811 – Relating to certain state fiscal matters and making necessary appropriations; providing penalties;

SB 8 – Relating to improving the quality and efficiency of health care;

SB 23 – Relating to the administration of reforms, efficiency, cost-saving, fraud prevention, and funding measures for certain health and human services and health benefits programs;

HB 5 – Relating to establishing an Interstate Health Care Compact;

HB 12 – Relating to the enforcement of state and federal laws governing immigration by certain governmental entities;

HB 272 – Relating to the operation of the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association and to the resolution of certain disputes concerning claims made to that association;

SB 12/HB400 – Relating to the flexibility of the Board of Trustees of a school district in the management and operation of public schools in the district and theflexibility for public schools to administer primary and secondary education efficiently;

HB 1937 – Relating to prosecution and punishment for the offense of official oppression by the intrusive touching of persons seeking access to public buildings and transportation; and

HB 900/SB 308 – Relating to the composition of the congressional districts for the State of Texas.

As you know, certain Senate procedures – such as the two-thirds tradition – exist to bring Democrats and Republicans together, encouraging Members to work in good faith in order to achieve positive outcomes for the people of Texas. Given that a small number of Senate Democrats have demonstrated their unwillingness to find consensus on these important legislative items, I can see no other alternative than to operate under a simple majority vote in the Special Session.

I look forward to working with you and Speaker Straus to finish the important business Texans elected us to accomplish.
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

House
"It's up to the Governor's call what he wants to include in there, but we sure will be lobbying. And even when he starts the special session he can add things to that call, and I'm sure we'll be working on the types of issues that we'd like to get done."
http://www.lonestarreport.org/Home/tabi ... -call.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

When I called Perry's office (and left a msg for Dewhurst too)

I said

Campus carry passed TWICE in the Senate as amendments, never got heard in the House, original bill blocked in the Senate, because of 2 or 3 Democrats' chicanery. Even though a majority want it passed.

If it is allowed to be brought up in Special Session, it should pass, because of the different rules for the Special Session, we'd only need 16 votes out of 31, instead of 21 out of 31 ... and we consistently had 20, so 16 shouldn't be a problem

But it could end up as "Ye have not, because ye asked not, or asking, ye asked amiss"
So, we gotta ask ... and ask loudly a lot.

Perry, Dewhurst, Straus .... and wouldn't hurt to mention it to Mike Jackson
too ;-)

The "TWIDIOTS" (I made a new word) are doing victory dances
CSGV CSGV
Congratulations to @sgfstexas and @gunfreeschools for defeating the insane #NRA guns on campus bill in #Texas & saving lives in the process!
CoryBooker Cory Booker
Yes, and we all must find more ways - even if small - 2 b a part of the solution RT @NJoiYaWorth: Glad to hear. The violence needs to stop.
flickingtail New Thoughts
by mohawkjohn
With no guns on campus, we can at least say we are better than Arizona. Not by much, but still better. #txlege #texas
gunfreeschools SGFS
Way to go Texas! us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=21153b83953… #nogunsoncampus #peace #highered #p2
KeepGunsoffCamp Andy Pelosi
Guns on campus goes down in Texas http://fb.me/Z5QF6Lbz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sgfstexas TX Gun-Free Schools
by gunfreeschools

We did the impossible. We defeated guns-on-campus in Texas when everyone said it was a "slam dunk." http://eepurl.com/d4mGP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #p2 #highered
CSGV CSGV
IT'S OFFICIAL. Students, faculty & law enforcement defeated the #NRA gun on campus bill in #Texas! #TX #Highered #p2 http://fb.me/ZTPfFpDz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I prefer to think of t as a flat tire/temporary delay/bump in the road on the way to our destination of restoring our rights.
I'm no lawyer

katiethompson

Post by katiethompson »

RPB wrote:
by mohawkjohn
With no guns on campus, we can at least say we are better than Arizona. Not by much, but still better. #txlege #texas
What is he even talking about, better than Arizona? They don't have campus carry either...

I'm disappointed... but this means we get to come back even stronger next session!!
"When a man who is honestly mistaken nears the truth, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -Thomas Paine

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

katiethompson wrote:
RPB wrote:
by mohawkjohn
What is he even talking about, better than Arizona? They don't have campus carry either...

I'm disappointed... but this means we get to come back even stronger next session!!
It just goes to show how uninformed he is on the subject. Arizona tried to pass a law so that they could do what we already can, carry outside of buildings on campus. The governor vetoed. The anti's and their "leader" really have no idea what campus carry does: Extend the rights of licensed law abiding citizens.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

warhorse10_9 wrote:
katiethompson wrote:
RPB wrote:
by mohawkjohn

It just goes to show how uninformed he is on the subject. Arizona tried to pass a law so that they could do what we already can, carry outside of buildings on campus. The governor vetoed. The anti's and their "leader" really have no idea what campus carry does: Extend the rights of licensed law abiding citizens.
I believe what he means is that, in Arizona, carrying on a college campus is not statutorily off limits. Universities can prohibit carrying but it's not off limits by default like it is here in Texas. The Arizona Campus Carry bill would have prevented universities from adopting rules that prohibit carrying.

Brian

Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

Link to find updates regarding Calls to Action for the campus carry movement:

http://www.texascalltoaction.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I just think it's funny that Wendy Davis forced the special session, and now the Dems can't block the legislation the Rs want passed.
What a twit! Even Bud Kennedy says so.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”