Campus Carry

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 4

Campus Carry

Post by MeMelYup »

Next school year Students for Concealed Carry on Campus should wear a holster with a rubber gun in it to all their classes. Every month change out for a new one of a different color so that It becomes common for a difference. This will get fellow students and teachers use to seeing students with guns and they will grow to pay no attention to them. If they (faculty or students) objest to the holsters with rubber guns, ask them why they object, why are they trying to curtail your 1st Amendment right to freedom of speach and expression, your right to peacefully protest. Wearing the holster like his will solve 2 problems, it will get the fellow students and facalty use to people with guns so they will ignore them and people that "fear that someone beside them might have a gun" will loose that fear.

Need to work on a fill in the blanks form letter requesting from the appropriate authority that one be allowed to CHL carry on the premises of the college. If your parents carry request authorization for each parent to carry on premises also (a seperate letter for each person). This letter would serve multiple purposes. It would notify the board how many students (parents) would like to carry and would carry if approved. There RBI's would be enlightening as to the reasoning for allowing, or not allowing, the granting of CHL carry on premises. This information could be used next legislative session.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Campus Carry

Post by BrianSW99 »

I understand the thought behind it, but I'm not sure openly wearing rubber guns would really help our cause. I don't think that type of confrontation is the way to reach the people who are opposed to it. I think it would perpetuate the idea that we're all kinda crazy.

I also suspect that not even the university presidents, as autonomous as they are, really have the power to grant written authorization to CHLs, especially not in any great number; particularly the public universities. They still have to answer to the board of regents, and I don't know of any who are in favor of campus carry.

Brian

Topic author
MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

BrianSW99 wrote:I understand the thought behind it, but I'm not sure openly wearing rubber guns would really help our cause. I don't think that type of confrontation is the way to reach the people who are opposed to it. I think it would perpetuate the idea that we're all kinda crazy.

I also suspect that not even the university presidents, as autonomous as they are, really have the power to grant written authorization to CHLs, especially not in any great number; particularly the public universities. They still have to answer to the board of regents, and I don't know of any who are in favor of campus carry.

Brian
The idea behind it is, why are people not afraid of police with guns? They are expected to have them. People that fear others that carry a gun are not afraid of a police officer, so why be afraid of the person standing beside you. Oh, it's a rubber gun he can't hurt me. Perpetuating the idea that we are all kind of crazy, define the opositions idea of GUN NUT. I think we are all kind of crazy, that is what makes the world go around.

Don't ask is a sheep response. In this case we don't care if they are in favor or not a response is what is being solicited. Besides, if you don't ask, the answer is no. "The only dumb question is the one not asked."

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Unfortunately, even a fake gun might cause problems for the user. Look how many school kids have gotten in trouble for toy guns.

Just an empty holster would get the point across and be much more poignant.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I agree that it's a bad idea. You certainly have a right to protest, but how you protest can either help or harm your cause, regardless of which issue you are protesting. The empty holster would be a more effective protest. An additional piece of "flair" might be to carry a placard at all times with a running list of those crime victims who were victimized on your campus. For each victim, list the name, the type of crime, the place the crime occurred, the amount of time AFTER the crime occurred before campus police got involved, and whether or not the perpetrator has been caught and convicted. Add each new victim to the bottom of the list throughout the year.

Bonus points: instead of a placard, put the list on a scroll and carry the scroll in your holster. When asked about it, "draw" the scroll and hand it to them to read for themselves. That can be a non-confrontational conversation starter giving you a chance to propose campus carry in a calm and rational one-on-one manner. Those are the best kinds of conversations, with the best chance of actually converting someone to the cause.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

MeMelYup wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:I understand the thought behind it, but I'm not sure openly wearing rubber guns would really help our cause. I don't think that type of confrontation is the way to reach the people who are opposed to it. I think it would perpetuate the idea that we're all kinda crazy.

Brian
Don't ask is a sheep response. In this case we don't care if they are in favor or not a response is what is being solicited. Besides, if you don't ask, the answer is no. "The only dumb question is the one not asked."
To clarify, I didn't mean that we shouldn't ask for written permission. I just think that the number of times permission will be granted will be near 0. I do think that, depending on the political climate, a university employee should consider whether it's a good idea to ask permission and whether it might bring unwanted attention.

Topic author
MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

BrianSW99 wrote:To clarify, I didn't mean that we shouldn't ask for written permission. I just think that the number of times permission will be granted will be near 0. I do think that, depending on the political climate, a university employee should consider whether it's a good idea to ask permission and whether it might bring unwanted attention.
I must agree that the granting will most likely be zero. Is there any documentation where students in the past have requested permission to carry on the premises? Is there any documentation as to whether the requests have been approved or denied? This kind of documentation would be invaluable if a lawsuite were instituted for some reason (rape, mugging, etc.). This documentation would also be invaluable as reasoning for legislation.

I agree that a university employee would have to carefully pick and choose if the timing is right for soliciting CHL permission.

Maybe a rubber gun would be much and I have to agree that TAM's idea of a scroll in the holster is reasonable. Isn't that the idea of this forum to throw out ideas and discuss if they are good or bad, and what might work:

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

MeMelYup wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:To clarify, I didn't mean that we shouldn't ask for written permission. I just think that the number of times permission will be granted will be near 0. I do think that, depending on the political climate, a university employee should consider whether it's a good idea to ask permission and whether it might bring unwanted attention.
I must agree that the granting will most likely be zero. Is there any documentation where students in the past have requested permission to carry on the premises? Is there any documentation as to whether the requests have been approved or denied? This kind of documentation would be invaluable if a lawsuite were instituted for some reason (rape, mugging, etc.). This documentation would also be invaluable as reasoning for legislation.

I agree that a university employee would have to carefully pick and choose if the timing is right for soliciting CHL permission.

Maybe a rubber gun would be much and I have to agree that TAM's idea of a scroll in the holster is reasonable. Isn't that the idea of this forum to throw out ideas and discuss if they are good or bad, and what might work:
I don't have any information on students requesting permission, but I do know of another employee at the university where I work that did ask permission and was denied.

Brian

Topic author
MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

BrianSW99 wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:

I don't have any information on students requesting permission, but I do know of another employee at the university where I work that did ask permission and was denied.

Brian
The request and answer, was it written or verbal? What was the reason given for denial?

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:

My wife and I have been out of Texas for 6 weeks..RVing to see family in Midwest states (except ILL). She is employedby UTMB ,so her office is on the campus. We heard that the campus carry by CHL had passed. But she emailed me today that it had not passed per memo by UTMB ADMIN.
So what is the status? :headscratch

Thank you.
God Bliss America.

ELB

Post by ELB »

old farmer wrote::tiphat:

My wife and I have been out of Texas for 6 weeks..RVing to see family in Midwest states (except ILL). She is employedby UTMB ,so her office is on the campus. We heard that the campus carry by CHL had passed. But she emailed me today that it had not passed per memo by UTMB ADMIN.

Thank you.
SB 354 passed the Senate, but could not/was not allowed to go to the House floor for a full vote, so it never passed the house. So still no legal concealed carry on the "premises" of universities/colleges. :grumble
USAF 1982-2005

seeker_two
Banned

Post by seeker_two »

I echo the idea of an EMPTY holster.....or, if you're going to have something in it, maybe have some pamphlets on the CCW on Campus bill to hand out to others....
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

blackmesa

Post by blackmesa »

old farmer wrote::tiphat:

The Republican leadership in the house stopped the Second Amendment from going into effect at Texas colleges. Vote accordingly.
Think of me as a Karma facilitator.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

MeMelYup wrote:
anie wrote::rules: According to me, students are not allowed to carry concealed equipment with them.......
Define equipment please. I carry a concealed pen all the time, even when not carrying a gun.
No pockets allowed? or no Belts allowed? Perhaps only pocketless pants/shorts are allowed which can't have a belt, because Belts/gunbelts are part of concealment equipment?
Since I and most CHLs carry IWB inside waistband and pocket carry, I'm guessing a "no - pants" policy?
Of course that's "no cargo shorts" in the Summer?
Gotta wonder who checks for Bra holsters and Thunderwear?
Since shirts are responsible for concealing most concealed handguns ... perhaps it's a topless policy?
Maybe "equipment" means Tupperware, like the Glock Box? ... or backpacks ... or fanny packs ... or purses. I knew a 65 year old Grandma who purse carries, that's what she did when she returned for her accounting degree a few years back.
I carried in my boots before/boot carry ... perhaps only sandals are allowed?
I used to wear a North American Arms .22 under a baseball cap, perhaps it's a no-cap/hat/dew-rag policy.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

RPB - you are replying to a spammer. That post has been deleted.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”