Guns on campus bill faces another hurdle

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

By Enrique Rangel
AUSTIN BUREAU
Lubbock Online
Posted: February 19, 2012
http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/201 ... 0PLkHmHSOG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So far, it lacks an author and a sponsor who can convince their fellow legislators the bill is good for law-abiding citizens.
Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, the author of last year’s bill, said if re-elected, he probably won’t file a similar proposal when the 83 rd Legislature convenes in January.
And Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland, the bill’s sponsor in the House, is not seeking re-election, mainly because of a scandal
Marsha McCartney, president of the Dallas-based North Texas Chapter of the Brady Campaign, a nationwide organization in favor of gun ownership restrictions, said she is glad to hear Wentworth does not plan file the guns on campuses bill next year
More at http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/201 ... 0PLkHmHSOG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Guns on campus bill faces another hurdle

Post by The Annoyed Man »

At first I was going to ask why Wentworth wasn't planning to file a bill, but on consideration I suspect it is because campus carry supporters burned up a lot of political capital last session on this issue, without garnering positive results. Maybe the political calculus is to let things lay for a while before taking this particular cudgel up again.

I am in favor of Campus Carry, and I would like to see another bill filed, but there may be politically strategic reasons for not taking it up again at this time.

Here is a question for Charles Cotton: would it be possible to have a paid membership level of access to a private forum on this board where you would feel comfortable divulging those things which you say you are not free to discuss in a public forum? It seems that it would be simple enough to vet the members who apply based primarily on post count, on the notion that our most active members are very likely sympathetic to the cause. And if you wish to do so, the "membership fees" collected could be used toward campus carry advocacy.

The reason I ask the question is that Charles has stated on numerous occasions that he is privvy to the strategic thinking in advocacy matters, but that he cannot share the information on the public board because our ideological opponents would then be informed of it. But if there was a way for committed members of this board to know what was going on behind the scenes, then perhaps we could think of ways in which we might proactively help the cause instead of simply riding along on its coattails.

Just a thought...
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I believe Wentworth is facing 2 particular opponents one says is a better shot that he is, the other "supports the Second Amendment "even on college campuses"

Depending on how districts are being carved up ... he may just be trying to get re-elected if he gets an anti-gun population of voters :headscratch It seems San Antonio has an anti-Wentworth/anti-gun flavor and prefers the armed robberies in second floor bathrooms on campus still. :banghead: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=40241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I'd be happy to chip in on something like this. I find the legislative session to be more captivating, interesting, and important than watching NFL on TV... and I enjoy being actively engaged in the process - contacting legislators, staffers, showing up in person in Austin, etc.
The Annoyed Man wrote:Here is a question for Charles Cotton: would it be possible to have a paid membership level of access to a private forum on this board where you would feel comfortable divulging those things which you say you are not free to discuss in a public forum? It seems that it would be simple enough to vet the members who apply based primarily on post count, on the notion that our most active members are very likely sympathetic to the cause. And if you wish to do so, the "membership fees" collected could be used toward campus carry advocacy.

The reason I ask the question is that Charles has stated on numerous occasions that he is privvy to the strategic thinking in advocacy matters, but that he cannot share the information on the public board because our ideological opponents would then be informed of it. But if there was a way for committed members of this board to know what was going on behind the scenes, then perhaps we could think of ways in which we might proactively help the cause instead of simply riding along on its coattails.

Just a thought...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

croc870
Posts in topic: 1

Post by croc870 »

Robert, if you're interested in doing legislative work Students for Concealed Carry always has things going on.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Even with no sponsor for the campus carry bill this session?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Douva

Post by Douva »

RHenriksen wrote:Even with no sponsor for the campus carry bill this session?
I assume you understand that "this session" doesn't start for ten and a half months and that the 2011 House and Senate bills had a combined 103 authors, joint authors, and coauthors, right? Though there may be some question as to who will sponsor the bill, there will certainly be a bill (or two), and there is plenty of work to be done before the session starts.

sumyungai

Post by sumyungai »

RPB wrote:I believe Wentworth is facing 2 particular opponents one says is a better shot that he is, the other "supports the Second Amendment "even on college campuses"
Has either of them pledged to support campus carry next year? That would make the primary decision easier, if the supreme court allows Texas to have primary elections this year.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

sumyungai wrote:
RPB wrote:I believe Wentworth is facing 2 particular opponents one says is a better shot that he is, the other "supports the Second Amendment "even on college campuses"
Has either of them pledged to support campus carry next year? That would make the primary decision easier, if the supreme court allows Texas to have primary elections this year.
I'm about to watch this debate and see ...
Debate http://www.sachamber.org/cwt/external/w ... cleID=2086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donna Campbell (website says pro 2A ... even on college campuses)
(I BELIEVE, she's Endorsed by TexasGrizzlette, a member of this forum, but I have not heard a specific, "supoort for Campus Carry" other than that brief mention on Donna's site :mrgreen:
http://texasgrizzlette.com/2011/11/out- ... -campbell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://legalinsurrection.com/2011/06/me ... -thompson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/#!/TexasGrizzlette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

)
http://donnacampbell.com/issues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right to Bear Arms
The Second Amendment gives Americans and Texans a fundmental right to own guns in order to defend their lives and property. These rights should never be taken away. I support the conceal and carry law that is currently in place in Texas, and I will fight tirelessly to ensure that the Second Amendment is protected, including on college campuses.
Elizabeth Ames Jones is the current chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission (website says "I am not only the strongest proponent of Second Amendment rights in this race; I am also the best shot. I")
http://www.jonesfortexas.com/OnTheIssue ... ndment.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment Rights

As a strong supporter of our Second Amendment, I routinely exercise my rights as an American citizen. An accomplished shooter and hunter, I am not only the strongest proponent of Second Amendment rights in this race; I am also the best shot. I pledge to continue Texas’ proud tradition of responsible and constitutional gun ownership.

As a lifelong outdoorswoman and hunter, I understand the natural gifts Texas has provided us. As the Texas Railroad Commissioner, it is my duty to ensure that the procurement of energy is done in a thoughtful and environmentally safe manner. While serving on the Coastal Land Advisory Board, I had the privilege of being named the 2010 “Woman of the Land” by the Texas Wildlife Association Foundation. I will bring that spirit as a “woman of the land” to guard Texas’ resources while ensuring that Texans take advantage of their God-given gift of Texas resources.
Doesn't mention Campus Carry, who knows what the rest of the strongest supporter and best shot hunter woman means?

I LIKE Wentworth's position and Seniority and persistence (until now) BUT IMHO it was a big mistake to do press releases about a "slam dunk" expressing overconfidence and drawing so much attention to which a huge response occurred from the Anti group.... Sometimes, like in Desert Storm, it's better to flank and come in under the radar, get'er done quietly. Perhaps that's why both others are quieter on it, but Donna does more than hint she has an understanding that Second Amendment isn't about hunting, though Jones did work with Jerry Patterson I think...
I'm no lawyer

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here is a question for Charles Cotton: would it be possible to have a paid membership level of access to a private forum on this board where you would feel comfortable divulging those things which you say you are not free to discuss in a public forum? It seems that it would be simple enough to vet the members who apply based primarily on post count, on the notion that our most active members are very likely sympathetic to the cause. And if you wish to do so, the "membership fees" collected could be used toward campus carry advocacy.

Just a thought...
The only problem here is the old saying............if you wish to keep a secret and three people know about it, the only way for it to stay a secret is if two of them are dead.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I think this is a god idea. I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for a more private forum
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

canvasbck wrote:

Just a thought...
The only problem here is the old saying............if you wish to keep a secret and three people know about it, the only way for it to stay a secret is if two of them are dead.
I'm OK with that as long as it's the other two guys. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

canvasbck wrote:

Just a thought...
:iagree: As much as I'd love to know what all is going on, I'll gladly trade being kept in the dark for a greater chance at success for any gun-related laws that Mr. Cotton is pushing. I don't agree with all his politics, but it this area his actions have proven him to be innately trustworthy.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”