Security gig in DFW area.

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grog
Posts in topic: 1

Security gig in DFW area.

Post by Grog »

If anyone has any info on good companies to work for, let me know. I have a thread posted asking for general info already, did not see this area of the forums.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mctowalot

Re: Security gig in DFW area.

Post by mctowalot »

Out of curiosity, what is the average pay for an armed guard in Texas?

CarlosMartinez

Post by CarlosMartinez »

mctowalot wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the average pay for an armed guard in Texas?
Thats a good question I am wondering, I am about to complete my Certification with Level III and Level IV card. What is the average pay??

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

From what I've seen, it's usually $10.50-14 to start at a contract company. In-house jobs are a little harder to find, but usually pay much better. My last job was unarmed and paid about $14.75 (in house).

If anyone comes across a good armed job in Austin, lemme know... I could use more hours (I'm working part time right now).
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

packina45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by packina45 »

Typical starting pay for armed security in the DFW area is $10-11 per hour. Level IV officers can make $20+ per hour, IF you can find work. Most security companies will tell you there's no PPO work out there.

That's not the case, but it's mostly a matter of who you know.
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox

packina45

Post by packina45 »

CarlosMartinez wrote:
mctowalot wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the average pay for an armed guard in Texas?
Thats a good question I am wondering, I am about to complete my Certification with Level III and Level IV card. What is the average pay??
Best of luck on that, you've chosen a tough job, my friend. Of your classmates, half won't last two years in the industry. Less than 25% of the ones that do stick it out will still be with the same company after two years.

You've chosen a field where you'll be underpaid, receiving barely a "living wage". As a security officer, you'll get no respect...not from your Operations Manager, the client, the police, or the people you're protecting the client from. Your employer will talk about pay raises, promotion, advancement within the company...then stick you somewhere on a fixed post and promptly forget about you. Until you're involved in an incident, or need a day off, which you won't get.

To your employer, you're a dime-a-dozen. Just another warm body to fill a hole on the schedule.

You'll work long, boring hours, mostly on your feet, in all weather conditions, with a big, shiny target pinned on your chest. You'll learn that the words "duty belt" and "comfortable" cannot be used in the same sentence.

Your level IV card? Don't waste your money to have it registered, my friend. A Lvl IV card from the state won't get you work as a Personal Protection Officer unless you have a strong military (preferably special ops) or LEO background, are in better physical shape than a recent Marine Corps boot camp grad, and have had a lot of expensive additional training from ESI or another big-name executive protection school. That's for starters. Then you need someone with connections to take you on.

Most of the Lvl IV cardholders in the state have never worked a PPO gig, and never will.

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

packina40 wrote:
CarlosMartinez wrote:
Best of luck on that, you've chosen a tough job, my friend. Of your classmates, half won't last two years in the industry. Less than 25% of the ones that do stick it out will still be with the same company after two years.

You've chosen a field where you'll be underpaid, receiving barely a "living wage". As a security officer, you'll get no respect...not from your Operations Manager, the client, the police, or the people you're protecting the client from. Your employer will talk about pay raises, promotion, advancement within the company...then stick you somewhere on a fixed post and promptly forget about you. Until you're involved in an incident, or need a day off, which you won't get.

To your employer, you're a dime-a-dozen. Just another warm body to fill a hole on the schedule.

You'll work long, boring hours, mostly on your feet, in all weather conditions, with a big, shiny target pinned on your chest. You'll learn that the words "duty belt" and "comfortable" cannot be used in the same sentence.

Your level IV card? Don't waste your money to have it registered, my friend. A Lvl IV card from the state won't get you work as a Personal Protection Officer unless you have a strong military (preferably special ops) or LEO background, are in better physical shape than a recent Marine Corps boot camp grad, and have had a lot of expensive additional training from ESI or another big-name executive protection school. That's for starters. Then you need someone with connections to take you on.

Most of the Lvl IV cardholders in the state have never worked a PPO gig, and never will.
Um... let me guess, you had a bad experience somewhere and gave up? "rlol"

I've been in security since 2006 and don't have any complaints. I was making more than the average income for my demographic at my last job...
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

packina45

Post by packina45 »

Actually, I'm a field supervisor in a security company. I also pull the occasional PPO gig. Just tellin' it like it is. The job isn't for everyone.

Return to “Job Board”