Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Campus Carry & Open Carry in the news

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is an article from San Antonio discussing open-carry v. campus-carry. I find it interesting that the article appears to be fostering the idea that there is "tension" between the campus-carry and open-carry folks. I agree that there are some concerns, but I don't see them as rising to the level of "tension" as that term implies some level of hostility.

I also find it most revealing that the Texas Brady folks are rallying to defeat campus-carry. "For now, the Brady Campaign's top priority for the session, McCartney said, will be trying to mount a good defense to the issue of concealed carry on campus."

Chas.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... oups_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TENSION BETWEEN GUN GROUPS
A couple of interesting things stood out while researching today's story on proposed gun laws.

First: Gun control advocates appear to be doing little this session in terms of pushing legislation they deem favorable.

Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the group might not ask lawmakers to carry two pieces of legislation -- one that would require background checks for all firearm sales at gun shows and another that would limit handgun purchases to one every 30 days -- that the gun control group normally advocates.

"We haven't completely decided if we're going to ask for those bills to be filed," said McCartney. "But probably not if we have the same committee heads."

She added: "We know how things work in Texas and if you don't have the backing, you don't go far."

For now, the Brady Campaign's top priority for the session, McCartney said, will be trying to mount a good defense to the issue of concealed carry on campus.

On that note, there appears to be some hostility brewing between the group advocating for concealed carry on campus and the group backing the push for licensed Texans to be allowed to openly tote their pistols.

Michael Guzman, a senior at Texas State University and president of the grassroots gun group called "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus," is worried that the two issues will be "muddled" together by the media once the respective bills are filed, causing confusion among lawmakers and regular Texans.

Plus, there appears to be another element causing tension between the members of SCCC and the Virginia-based group OpenCarry.org -- one of competing interests.

"If these open carry guys get enough attention with the introduction of their bill, it's going to knock off our bill," Guzman said. "Our biggest obstacle is another gun rights group. It's ridiculous that two gun rights groups are going to be canceling each other out."

The open carry folks say they understand the concerns, but argue that both have their aim set on identical goals: broadening Second Amendment rights for Texans.

"I think it's one and the same. We're both going for gun rights," said Ian McCarthy, chairman of the Texas Open Carry work group. "They just think people are afraid of open carry."

One last note: While the push to allow students and faculty to carry concealed handguns on campus has garnered the support of the powerful gun lobby, the open carry movement doesn't yet have the official backing of the National Rifle Association or their state affiliate, the Texas State Rifle Association.

"They're going about it the wrong way," Guzman said. "I hope their bill dies quickly so we can move on to more substantive debates about concealed carry on campus."

optman09

Re: Campus Carry & Open Carry in the news

Post by optman09 »

Here is another story from the same paper.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... 79537.html

Seems San Antonio is pretty interested in gun rights today.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Houston Comical...er, I mean Houston Chronicle, either totally botched in editing David Rauf's article that optman09 linked to, or Rauf himself took an ill-advised scalpel to the piece. The result is completely unintelligible because it merges the two issues and you can't tell what's being discussed where. This sort of journalism borders way close to flat-out prevarication and, in my opinion, is unconscionable:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6239518.html
Proposals would let licensed owners tote guns more easily

By DAVID SALEH RAUF
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau
Jan. 30, 2009, 9:19PM

AUSTIN — Michael Guzman, a 25-year-old Texas State University senior and Marine veteran, takes his Kimber Ultra Carry II handgun just about everywhere he goes. Except to school.

Texas lawmakers, how­ever, are crafting ways to allow licensed handgun owners to tote their guns more easily. One proposal would let guns be carried on campuses, and another would allow licensed handgun owners to openly brandish their guns in public.

Together, the two issues are likely to be the most contentious gun-related laws of the session.

State Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, is preparing the campus concealed-carry gun measure. He calls it a “safety protection bill” for students and faculty.

“I don’t want to wake up one morning and hear on the news that some madman went on a Texas campus and picked off Texas students like sitting ducks,” Wentworth said. “I’m doing what I can to prevent that from happening in Texas.”

A national debate over guns on college campuses was sparked almost two years ago after the fatal shootings of 32 students at Virginia Tech.

Since then, 17 states have introduced legislation to let students and faculty pack heat on campus. None has passed.

A Texas House study conducted by the Law Enforcement Committee — which noted only 11 U.S. universities allow concealed guns on campus — recommended passing a campus gun bill.

It wouldn’t be the first time the Legislature considered an open-carry measure. In 1997 and 1999, then-state Rep. Suzanna Hupp, a Republican from Lampasas whose parents were shot and killed in the 1991 Luby’s massacre in Killeen, authored similar legislation. The bills didn’t pass.

Wild West attitude feared

Gov. Rick Perry is among those supporting the notion of letting adult students bring handguns on campus if they are licensed to carry them.

The issue has been met with opposition from gun-control advocates, university officials, campus law enforcement and some lawmakers.

Earlier this week, the University of Texas at Austin’s student government overwhelmingly passed a resolution supporting their campus gun ban and calling on “elected officials in Texas to oppose attempts to eliminate campus weapons bans.”

“I don’t want to return to a 19th-century Wild West urban atmosphere for Texas,” said state Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth. “I oppose both concealed-carry on campus and open-carry, but psychologically open-carry is the worst by far because of the implications it has when you’re walking down the street.”

Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, said he has not seen the bills but would not be inclined to support guns on campuses. “I think it’s an issue of safety,” he said. “Will that improve or diminish the safety of students? My gut instinct is most members would say it actually diminishes the safety of faculty and staff. … They didn’t pass it before, and they don’t have as good a chance for passing it now.”

Texas State Rifle Association lobbyist Alice Tripp said the group is “not forwarding the issue.”

At present, people with handgun permits have to keep their weapons concealed.

Online push for change

Ian McCarthy, a 22-year-old online marketing entrepreneur in Austin, wants to be able to brandish one openly.

“Criminals want an easy target. When they see you can fight back, they’re going to go somewhere else,” McCarthy said.

He is a member of the national pro-gun group OpenCarry.org, which has raised more than $10,000 online to buy radio and billboard ads across the state and has collected more than 53,000 online Texas signatures in favor of changing the law.

Coleman doubts it will get the nod from fellow lawmakers.

“Open-carry, I think that for most members that would be going too far,” he said.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Ah, yes, the same old arguments. "Wild west". "Going too far". Bah.

When campus carry is passed -- and I predict that it will be -- it will be a big non-issue just like CHL. Same for parking lot carry. We see doomsday predictions from those opposed yet we are never supposed to look at empirical evidence. Other states have campus carry (and bar carry, and polling place carry, and open carry) and the 19th-century-gun-fights-in-the-streets don't happen. If lawmakers are presented with and look at the actual reality of other places where the proposal is in place, they'll understand that there is no boogeyman here.

I'm shocked (shocked!) that Garnett Coleman would think that open carry is going "too far". This from a guy who has opposed 2A rights at every turn. He desperately hopes he can convince his colleagues that something that 44 other states has is radical. Debunking this myth is E-A-S-Y: simply show the common-sense fallacy of it. If 5 CHL holders are sitting around a restaurant table each carrying, how is this different from one or more of them carrying partially or fully unconcealed? There are still 5 guns at the table.

The bottom line is that those that would benefit most from open carry are concealed carriers. Why? No more worries about "printing" (yeah, not illegal, but some people think that it is). Ever gone to the bathroom while carrying concealed? Not so easy to keep it fully concealed, is it? I promise you that there are times that I have gone unarmed just because of the burden of concealment. With open carry, I would have carried. That doesn't mean I would have carried fully openly, but it means that I could carry partially concealed or concealed but without worrying that my clothing choice might, if the situation were right, unconceal my pistol. The bottom line is that true fully open carry would be really rare. What would be less rare was situational, temporary open carry and CHL holders would be perfectly within their rights to do so. IMHO, it would be a huge improvement in when the temperature is 100+ and I'm making the "how do I carry" decision.

We should not make make unneeded sacrifices. We really don't have to settle for "this or that" yet. The session is early. If you are certain that we do, please tell me why. Thus, I think Mr. Guzman's comments are unfortunate. I think that they are exactly what we do NOT need right now. Similarly, we don't need folks at OpenCarry.org critizing the NRA, TSRA, or Students for Campus Concealed Carry. Can't we work together for the benefit of all Texans?

Charles, can you get a new "tilting at windmills" emoticon for me? :biggrinjester:

SA-TX

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

In the ARFCOM tradition I say "get both."

I've already emailed my representatives encouraging them to support both if they come up for a vote, I'll write and/or call them again when there are actual bills put out there.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”