ACTION NEEDED! Employer parking lot bills

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

jrosto
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ACTION NEEDED! Employer parking lot bills

Post by jrosto »

Which Senator did not vote?

eta: Dewhurst was not present for the morning roll call so I will assume he was not there for the vote.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jrosto wrote:Which Senator did not vote?

eta: Dewhurst was not present for the morning roll call so I will assume he was not there for the vote.
I don't know who wasn't present, but Dewhurst was there. He's the one who recognized Senator Hegar for SB730.

Chas.

artx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by artx »

I know the focus is on Campus Carry right now, but when must SB730 be voted on by the house? What is the drop dead date? I'd hate to see it go down as far on Calendars as Campus Carry.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

artx wrote:I know the focus is on Campus Carry right now, but when must SB730 be voted on by the house? What is the drop dead date? I'd hate to see it go down as far on Calendars as Campus Carry.
I'm not sure of the deadline for Senate Bills in the House, but we have some time. Not a lot, but enough as long as no one tags it in Calendars Committee.

Chas.

artx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by artx »

If I'm reading this right http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/sessions/dates.html, we only have till May 24 to get SB730 on the House Calendar, have to have it passed by May 27, then have to get it ironed out of conference committees my May 30th. Given all the other Senate bills on the house calendar, it looks like this one is being intentionally slowed down as well....

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

URGENT ACTION ITEM: Parking Lots

There is good reason to believe that Representative Brian McCall, Chairman of the House Calendars Committee, has tagged SB730 (employer parking lot bill) and will not let it out of Calendars Committee. In the alternative, he can let out of the committee so late that SB730 will have no chance of getting to the House Floor before time runs out. This is precisely what the Calendars Committee did to our parking lot bill last session.

We need to flood Chairman McCall's office with calls and faxes and tell him we want SB730 to be set on the House General Calendar now! It's fine to let him know that you understand that letting it out too late to be heard is just another way of killing the bill.

I'm so tired of this garbage.

Chas.

Chairman Brian McCall (512) 463-0594

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: URGENT ACTION ITEM: Parking Lots

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:There is good reason to believe that Representative Brian McCall, Chairman of the House Calendars Committee, has tagged SB730 (employer parking lot bill) and will not let it out of Calendars Committee. In the alternative, he can let out of the committee so late that SB730 will have no chance of getting to the House Floor before time runs out. This is precisely what the Calendars Committee did to our parking lot bill last session.

We need to flood Chairman McCall's office with calls and faxes and tell him we want SB730 to be set on the House General Calendar now! It's fine to let him know that you understand that letting it out too late to be heard is just another way of killing the bill.

I'm so tired of this garbage.

Chas.

Chairman Brian McCall (512) 463-0594
He's my Rep. Called and left a voice-mail in Calendars, and spoke with an aide in his office. Aide wasn't sure of his stance on this (supposedly), but I enforced the fact that I expected his support of this bill and that he lead the push to get it out of Calendars early so it will have adequate time for vote on the House floor.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Alice Tripp's article in the May/June issue of the TSRA Sportsman left me a bit discouraged.

Sometimes I wonder if "making nice" is always the best method for achieving what we want in Austin.

I believe in respect, decorum and common courtesy....but I also believe in being plain spoken and forceful when its called for. I think some of our elected officials need to hear some "persuasive" language (respectfully) from the voting public.

The anti's and big business are pretty much running over us. That happens alot when you have to "plead" for what you want.

My sincere Thanks to all who worked tirelessly on these bills, my hat is off to you. Also, to those made the calls, emailed or faxed their concerns. Maybe next "go round" we will fare a little better. But, I suggest...next time, we come out with the "gloves off".

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I just called his office and let his office person know the word is out on all of the major gun boards that Chairman McCall has tagged SB730 and that if he wants to counter this information he had better get the bill out in time to be debated and voted. I let him know that gun owners are aware that the campus-carry bill was placed on the House General Calendar sufficiently late in the process to guarantee that time would run out. I also advised him that this is precisely what the Calendars Committee did to us last session on the parking lot bill and that gun owners are growing weary of this treatment from people who are supposed to be our friends.

Please make the calls and let them know the word is spreading.

Chas.

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just called his office and let his office person know the word is out on all of the major gun boards that Chairman McCall has tagged SB730 and that if he wants to counter this information he had better get the bill out in time to be debated and voted. I let him know that gun owners are aware that the campus-carry bill was placed on the House General Calendar sufficiently late in the process to guarantee that time would run out. I also advised him that this is precisely what the Calendars Committee did to us last session on the parking lot bill and that gun owners are growing weary of this treatment from people who are supposed to be our friends.

Please make the calls and let them know the word is spreading.

Chas.
Chairman McCall's office tells you to call the Calenders Committee number 512 463-0758. Have been calling them and either they are being flooded with calls or have just quit answering the phone period. I keep getting the "leave a detailed message and phone number" recording, which I will do eventually if I can't get through.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

jrosto
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrosto »

Call and fax Joe Strauss, Speaker of the House also.

As the ranking R, and the one who staffed the committees, he has some obligation to see this bill through.

(512) 463-0686
(512) 463-0675 Fax
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TrueFlog »

From another thread, dated 2/20:
TrueFlog wrote: Rep. McCall personally returned my call today. He said that he had not read the bill but generally supports "guns in cars". He listed a couple of reasons why he supports this type of legislation, and I chimed in with a few reasons of my own. He closed by stating that he can't make a commitment to support (or oppose) HB1301 until he sees it in its final form, but stressed his support for the idea behind it. Overall, I was very impressed and believe that we can count on him to make the right decision if/when the bill comes to a vote.
Oh, to be young and naive again... I guess he was just telling me what I wanted to hear, or else somebody got to him.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I got attitude from "I just answer the phone." at his office, and then transferred to "Sean" who gave me more attitude.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

jimlongley wrote:I got attitude from "I just answer the phone." at his office, and then transferred to "Sean" who gave me more attitude.
I've gotten that from every representative's aide that hasn't been supportive of the bills.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

immadmacs

Post by immadmacs »

The bill was amended to exclude school districts. Is my safety less important because I work for a school district? I have no desire to carry while at work, but I see no reason that I can't have a handgun in my locked car. If my car breaks down on a commute to and from Houston before and after work, my life could be in jeopardy. Please ask your rep to reconsider excluding school district employees. Perhaps they could require a trigger lock on the gun while it is in the parking lot.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”