Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Urgent Action Items: Parking lots & campus-carry

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It's time for us to get to work! I get a lot of PMs and emails every session asking how people can help get our bills passed. The power of the NRA and TSRA lies in our ability to get our members to respond to calls for action with phone calls and faxes at the right time. This will happen periodically throughout the session.

Well, we need your help now. The House and Senate bill authors for both the employer parking lots and campus-carry bills are working hard to get co-authors. Below are links to each bill's authors/ co-authors. Please check to see if your Senator and Representative has "sign-on" to the bill and call to thank them if they have and ask them to do so if they have not. The Senate parking lot bill SB730 needs a lot of help, we have only one co-author. I will include my standard request to be nice and respectful, that's the Texas way. (Hint to foreigners.)

You can identify your Senator and Representative and get their phone numbers from this link. Just fill in the information on the "Who Represents Me?" section. If you already know your Senator and Representative, you can get their phone numbers by clicking here for House Members and here for Senators and clicking on the appropriate name.

Please get your friends and family members to do likewise. For those of you who frequent other forums, it would be helpful if you would post something referring those folks to this post, or copy it in total with a link to this thread. I'll be updating it periodically. I don't have time to go to a lot of other boards now and I need your help so we can get the biggest response possible.

Thanks,
Chas.

Employer Parking Lots
Campus Security (a/k/a campus-carry)
Here are the authors and co-authors signed-on to each bill as of 3/2/09 @ 14:43 This information is provided as a quick reference, but it is strongly suggested that you check the link above to verify your Senator or Representative hasn't signed-on before you contact their offices. I will update this list as often as possible, but I cannot guarantee it is not outdated.

Employer Parking Lot Bills

SB730 Authors/Co-authors
  • Primary Author Hegar

Coauthors (1)
    Eltife 02/17/2009
HB1301 Authors/Co-authors
  • Primary Author - Frost

Joint Authors
    • Farabee
      Lucio III
      McReynolds
      Driver
    Coauthors (27)
    • Anderson
      Berman
      Bonnen
      Brown, Betty
      Christian
      Crabb
      Davis, John
      Eiland
      Eissler
      Elkins
      England
      Fletcher
      Flynn
      Gattis
      Hardcastle
      Harper-Brown
      Howard, Charlie
      Hughes
      Jackson, Jim
      Kleinschmidt
      Kuempel
      Laubenberg
      Orr
      Riddle
      Sheffield
      Smith, Wayne
      Swinford
Campus-Security Bills (a/k/a campus-carry)

SB1164
  • Primary Authors
    • Wentworth
      Deuell
      Eltife
      Estes
      Fraser
      Harris
      Hegar
      Hinojosa
      Lucio
      Patrick, Dan
      Williams
HB1893
  • Primary Author - Driver

Joint Authors
    • McReynolds
      Kolkhorst
      Ortiz, Jr.
      Merritt

Coauthors (51)
    • Anderson - 03/02/2009
      Berman - 03/02/2009
      Bohac - 03/03/2009
      Brown, Betty - 03/02/2009
      Button - 03/04/2009
      Callegari - 03/03/2009
      Chisum - 03/02/2009
      Corte - 03/03/2009
      Crabb - 03/03/2009
      Darby - 03/04/2009
      Davis, John - 03/03/2009
      Eissler - 03/04/2009
      England - 03/03/2009
      Fletcher - 03/04/2009
      Flores - 03/03/2009
      Flynn - 03/02/2009
      Frost - 03/04/2009
      Geren - 03/03/2009
      Guillen - 03/04/2009
      Hamilton - 03/04/2009
      Herrero - 03/04/2009
      Hopson - 03/02/2009
      Howard, Charlie - 03/03/2009
      Hunter - 03/05/2009
      Isett - 03/04/2009
      Jackson, Jim - 03/03/2009
      Keffer - 03/05/2009
      King, Phil - 03/02/2009
      King, Tracy O. - 03/02/2009
      Kleinschmidt - 03/03/2009
      Kuempel - 03/03/2009
      Laubenberg - 03/04/2009
      Legler - 03/05/2009
      Lucio III - 03/04/2009
      Madden - 03/02/2009
      Martinez, "Mando" - 03/03/2009
      Miller, Doug - 03/03/2009
      Miller, Sid - 03/05/2009
      Orr - 03/05/2009
      Otto - 03/03/2009
      Paxton - 03/04/2009
      Pena - 03/02/2009
      Phillips - 03/05/2009
      Quintanilla - 03/02/2009
      Riddle - 03/05/2009
      Sheffield - 03/02/2009
      Smith, Wayne - 03/03/2009
      Swinford - 03/05/2009
      Taylor - 03/02/2009
      Truitt - 03/02/2009
      Weber - 03/03/2009

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Urgent Action Items: Parking lots & campus-carry

Post by KC5AV »

I see where my Senator (Eltife) has signed on to both bills, and my Representative (Hughes) has signed on to HB1301. I'll send out a note of thanks for Senator Eltife, and see if I can find out why Hughes hasn't signed on to HB1893.
NRA lifetime member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

How do you tell which Senators and Representatives have signed onto a particular piece of legislation?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Purplehood wrote:How do you tell which Senators and Representatives have signed onto a particular piece of legislation?
The most accurate way is to click on the bill number, as I have made them links to the bill on the legislative website. I've also added a list of people who have signed-on to each bill, but I can only update it once or twice a day. So it's possible additional people have signed-on that are not on my list. For this reason, I strongly suggest that check the official list before contacting your Senator or Representative.

Chas.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

If your Rep is a Republican, it may help if you remind them that supporting this legislation is part of the party platform:
...We believe the Legislature should enact legislation: allowing: Concealed Handgun License holders to carry concealed weapons on publicly owned institutions of learning; and, preventing employers from prohibiting Concealed Handgun License holders from storing their concealed handgun in their vehicle while on a company parking area, and removing civil liability from property owners who do not prevent Concealed Handgun License holders from carrying on their premises.
A lot of work went into getting this added to the Texas Republican Party Platform, this should lend some weight to our requests.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

I just called Senator Estes' office in Austin and requested that he sign on as a coauthor for SB730. I also called my Rep for HB1301 and HB1893. I text messaged all the CHL'ers that I know of, where I work, and requested that they make the same calls. This will have a major effect on us since we are forced to travel back and forth to work unarmed at this time due to company policy and the parking lot being posted 30.06. Some of us had already emailed them for support, but a phone call is a little more personable.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

We picked up one more House co-author on HB1301 (parking lots) and twelve more co-authors on HB1893 (campus-carry). Great job Rep. Joe Driver!!!

I'm going to include the dates each Senator and Representative signed-on to the bill, but I'll add this only as changes are made.

Chas.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I just got off the phone with Rep. McCall's office. He was in committee meetings, so I left a message with his staff. I tried to hit the talking points on both bills and requested that he consider signing on as a co-author.

As an aside, which do you guys recommend - calling or faxing? I prefer to call because I don't have a fax at home, and I'm not comfortable using the office fax to send long-distance, personal, political faxes. However, I wonder if the rep's staff is really taking notes on my talking points (and how accurate those notes are) or if he's just taking my name and noting my support for the bill.

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

I talked to Chuck Hopson's secretary and left a message through her for Mr. Hopson. I thanked him for supporting HB1893 and asked him to coauthor HB1301 as well. We actually ended up talking for quite a bit about the parking lot bill and she understood the problem of employees being disarmed between home and work (thus she saw the ultimate value in this bill).

Anyway, she said she'll pass along all the information to Chuck Hopson.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

In my location, it looks like Senator Harris is a "Sponsor" of the "Campus Security" bill (SB1164). I just spoke with his a rep. in his office who told me that Senator Harris is also a license holder and will be supportive of the Senate's present version of the Employer Parking Lot bill (SB730).

A rep. from Tan Parker's office just returned my phone call, indicating she will mail me something regarding (his position on?) HB1301 and HB1893.

Also e-mailed link to this thread to lots of former students ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Luggo1 »

I spoke with Robert Duncan's office (Sen. Lubbock) this morning. The staffer read me (it sounded verbatim) a response from Duncan on both 1164 and 730. Duncan has apparently not taken a position, the response included the normal "I respect the 2A" verbage, but that he and the senate as well as the house needed to "examine all the data on both sides" and come together as a legislature to make decisions.

I was very disappointed with the response, though for now I will take him at his word that he hasn't made a decision.

I guess I'm writing another letter today.

4copas

Post by 4copas »

I spoke with reps from Senate District 12--Senator Jane Nelson and House District 64--Representative Myra Crownover today by phone call on these 4 bills. Both said they would get the message to them and let me know about support. Hope to see their names on the list.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

oilman

Post by oilman »

Just phoned my reps.

I will follow up with letters.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I called Sen. Shapiro today and spoke with a staff member. The young lady said that the senator has not yet taken a position on either bill and is open to input from her constituents. I expressed my support for both bills and followed up with the reasons why. The staff member agreed to pass those along to Sen. Shapiro. (She also noted that "Those are good reasons", but I suspect she was just being friendly, and I don't put too much stock in that.)

If you live in Sen. Shaprio's district and haven't called or written recently, please do so. From what I've heard, she's on the fence, and I'd really like to see her on our side. As Charles noted, we need all the help we can get, especially in the Senate. For the parking lot bill, I know many of our reps are trying to balance the employee's 2A rights against the employer's property rights. I think it's important to remind them that in Texas, we regard a person's vehicle as his private property and an extension of his home. With that mindset, this bill has nothing to do with employer's property rights since the gun never leaves the car (the employee's private property). Moreover, this bill affirms the property rights of the employee, and protects his vehicle (home) from intrusion by his employer.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Rep. Joe Driver, author of campus-security (a/k/a campus-carry) is really working that bill. He now has 51 co-authors!! That's up 8 from Wednesday. That doesn't include the 4 joint authors (that's the limit).

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”