Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

New Bill Status Report Format

Post by Purplehood »

Bill No.: HB1863
Author: (Berman, R, A+)
Caption Relating to exempting the intrastate manufacture of a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition from federal regulation.
Description: This bill attempts to exempt firearms, accessories and ammo made in Texas from federal law.
Companion:
Position on bill Neutral on support.
Legislative History: Legislative History.
Final Disposition:
Charles,

Out of curiosity, why are you neutral on this issue? It appears to me that the more states that enact this kind of law, the more pressure it presumably puts on the feds to back off on regulating these items.

Call me optimistic.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: New Bill Status Report Format

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I philosophically support the thought behind the bill, but state law cannot trump federal law. As an attorney, I have a hard time supporting something that in not enforceable.

Chas.

Topic author
Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I philosophically support the thought behind the bill, but state law cannot trump federal law. As an attorney, I have a hard time supporting something that in not enforceable.

Chas.
I figured you had a good reason.

My problem is that I see the Federal Law as an illegal attempt to do a "work-around" through the interstate commerce articles of the Constitution to limit our rights to guns and gun-related items ownership. That is why I tend to like this proposed state law, and would see it as a challenge to the status quo.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I absolutely agree on a personal level. On both a personal and professional level, I am sickened by the way the Commerce Clause has been expanded beyond reason to be used as a basis for the federal government to do that which the Constitution would otherwise prohibit.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”