Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Urgent Action Item: HB1301 Parking Lot Bill

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB1301, the House version of the employer parking lot bill that passed the Senate (SB730) needs your help!!

Freshman Representative Tryon Lewis (R, C+, Odessa) needs to hear from one heck of a lot of people, especially people from his district in Odessa. Please call him and politely tell him to vote for HB1301 as filed and without any amendments for chemical companies. It would be great to send a follow up fax as well.

Also call Houston Representative Hubert Vo (D, A-, Houston) and ask him to do likewise.

We need at least one of these two Representatives to vote with us to get it out of committee. The chemical companies were stunned by their loss in the Senate (SB730) and they are making a strong press on the two swing votes. We must counter this pressure, so please call and fax now!

Chas.

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Urgent Action Item: HB1301 Parking Lot Bill

Post by TrueFlog »

I called them both about 15 minutes ago. As it turns out, they were actually in the Public Safety committee meeting at the time. Both aides took a record of my opinion but neither offered an indication of how the rep might vote (and I didn't ask).

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TrueFlog wrote:I called them both about 15 minutes ago. As it turns out, they were actually in the Public Safety committee meeting at the time. Both aides took a record of my opinion but neither offered an indication of how the rep might vote (and I didn't ask).
Yeah, they had a "special" meeting of the Public Safety Committee today to vote on several bills previously heard, and more importantly, to take care of some "procedural" matters. :totap:

Chas.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RHenriksen »

Emailed both offices.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

ELB

Post by ELB »

Just came across this and called both offices. Both call-takers said their bosses were still essentially "non-committal, weighing the factors" etc etc. Politely asked them to pass the bill w/o amendment.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

tllstaco

Post by tllstaco »

I sent the following to both representatives:

I am writing to request your positive support of HB 1301 to allow law abiding citizens to provide for their own self-protection by legally leaving a firearm in their vehicles. A firearm does not magically make a law abiding person use it in a heinous act of violence. Furthermore, voting against HB1301 will not improve the safety of a chemical plant or any other business. People who are inclined to break the law, bring a firearm to work and use it to commit an act of violence, will do this irregardless of the law. Not passing HB1301 only impacts the safety of law abiding people.
Contrary to what chemical plant representatives (I work at one) tell you, they do not provide for the safety of their employees in parking lots. In fact, my plant has a disclaimer that they are not liable for theft from our vehicle in their parking lots. Many of the plants do not have parking on the road available. This means law abiding people who went through the time, effort and expense of meeting the background and testing requirements of a CHL will have to provide for their own protection.
Most chemical plants are not surrounded by the most crime-free environment. Limiting my right to self defense on my way to and from work does not make me feel comfortable and could leave my family without a parent/spouse if something does go horribly wrong. The police officers in our great state do a wonderful job, but they can not be in all locations all the time.
I appreciate your efforts and look forward to your support.
TLLsTaco

artx
Posts in topic: 4

Post by artx »

called both today. Both folks acted like they were tired of taking phone calls!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

artx wrote:called both today. Both folks acted like they were tired of taking phone calls!
I have always felt that contacting other than your own reps does no good and can become bothersome to them.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Mike1951 wrote:
artx wrote:called both today. Both folks acted like they were tired of taking phone calls!
I have always felt that contacting other than your own reps does no good and can become bothersome to them.
I understand your feeling in that, but these two Reps are on a committee, so that's why we're calling them in spite of not living in their districts.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks folks for the calls/faxes to Rep. Vo!

Now it would be nice to call him and thank him for his support of HB1301. Yeah, it worked!

Chas.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Charles, are you implying that Mr. Lewis did note vote in favor of the bill? (The House web site has not been updated since March 23.)

If so, I wonder why.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

seamusTX wrote:Charles, are you implying that Mr. Lewis did note vote in favor of the bill? (The House web site has not been updated since March 23.)

If so, I wonder why.

- Jim
It didn't come up for a vote in the "special" meeting held in Public Safety yesterday. It should come up for a vote soon. My post about Rep. Vo is based upon his comment to Alice. We've had no feedback from Rep. Lewis.

Chas.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

so, it's still in committee?
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mikeintexas »

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it is in committee. I signed up at the above link and get automatic updates. The companion bill (SB730) passed the Senate.

Kyle Brown

Post by Kyle Brown »

Susan King's office responded today and stated she will support the bill as written. This is a hugh shock because, as I understand it, Hendrix Medical Center (one of the area's largest employers) opposes the bill.
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”