Is campus carry dead?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Is campus carry dead?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:Marsha 'Brady' McCartney is getting hammered by the questions from Sen. Deuell!! ;-)
Senator Deuell is doing a great job for us! There's a reason he has an A+ rating.

Chas.

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Did anybody record it? How did it go? I was in class this morning and missed the whole debate. :cryin

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Pinkycatcher wrote:Did anybody record it? How did it go? I was in class this morning and missed the whole debate. :cryin
It will be available on the legislative website, but I don't know if it will be today or tomorrow.

Chas.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Greybeard »

The portion on the Campus Carry issue this morning lasted for around 70 minutes and I believe will pick up in a few hours where they left off, so Pinkycatcher, uou might can still see some of it live later today. I'm pretty sure that this is the same op/ed that Senator Wentworth mentioned and had distributed when I was watching the Senate's Hearing on the Campus Carry bill this morning. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... nts_anchor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yeah, Senator Deuell is taking some pretty good "shots" at those who appear to deserve them the most.
Last edited by Greybeard on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

So you think they're going to vote on it or let it die??

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It's too early to guess yet, but from some of the comments that Senator Duncan made regarding the intramural games, rodeos and such, I do think he wants to "get it right".

Topic author
Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

Greybeard wrote:It's too early to guess yet, but from some of the comments that Senator Duncan made regarding the intramural games, rodeos and such, I do think he wants to "get it right".
Explain "get it right". Will he support campus carry?

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

As I said, it's much too early to do more than "guess" what may happen. The "get it right" comment was made this morning in the midst of controversies over the definition of premisis and pending potential changes. Please listen to the hearing itself or the archives so that things are heard in the full context. Edited to add: An announcement was just made that the hearing will resume at 3:00 p.m. - about 50 minutes from now.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrianSW99 »

Definitely too early to tell for sure, but my initial impression of this mornings session based on the questions asked is that Sen. Duncan could possibly support it if the language in the bill could be satisfactorily amended to remove any ambiguities, particularly relating to the prohibition of carrying at collegiate sporting events.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

BrianSW99 wrote:Definitely too early to tell for sure, but my initial impression of this mornings session based on the questions asked is that Sen. Duncan could possibly support it if the language in the bill could be satisfactorily amended to remove any ambiguities, particularly relating to the prohibition of carrying at collegiate sporting events.
There is no ambiguity and that is what worries me about Senator Duncan's questions. SB1164 is very clear:
  • 1. You can carry on a college campus;
    2. The institution can regulate the storage of firearms in on-campus dorms and and residential housing;
    3. The prohibition on carrying at a collegiate sporting event found in TPC §46.035(b)(2) is still applicable, but only if a 30.06 sign is present.
DPS attorney Steve Moninger's testimony about a potential conflict between the definition of "premises" and "activity grounds" is utterly bogus and he knows it. He and I have talked about that very issue.

This alleged ambiguity is a red herring folks.

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

They have left the bill pending in committee and Sen. Duncan expressed they would vote tomorrow. Lots of good solid testimony in favor of the bill and I think that will play well for it.

I didn't catch all of Sen. Wentworth's modifications, but curious how badly it may have been butchered?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AnthonyGarcia

Post by AnthonyGarcia »

Would it be worth it or not worth it to fax a message of support for the bill to the committee members this evening?

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrianSW99 »

Keith B wrote:They have left the bill pending in committee and Sen. Duncan expressed they would vote tomorrow. Lots of good solid testimony in favor of the bill and I think that will play well for it.
I watched the afternoon session, but I didn't hear anything that indicated they would take a vote today. Did I just miss it somewhere? I don't see a meeting notice for today either. If they do take a vote on it, is there enough support in State Affairs to pass it out of committee?
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

BrianSW99 wrote:
Keith B wrote:They have left the bill pending in committee and Sen. Duncan expressed they would vote tomorrow. Lots of good solid testimony in favor of the bill and I think that will play well for it.
I watched the afternoon session, but I didn't hear anything that indicated they would take a vote today. Did I just miss it somewhere? I don't see a meeting notice for today either. If they do take a vote on it, is there enough support in State Affairs to pass it out of committee?
I didn't see it on the archived video, but watching the live session Sen. Wentworth was speaking afterward. I was bouncing back and forth, but thought he had stated there were modifications made, and Sen. Duncan stated they would leave it pending and vote tomorrow. I could be mistaken though as I don't see the State Affairs Committee scheduled for today. :grumble

I am not sure about the number of Senators in the committee that are in favor. Maybe Charles can shed light on the balance of A or A+ Senators vs. others on the Committee.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Campus concealed carry is still very much alive. However, without support from us it could die a quiet death and never make it to the floor. I strongly urge everyone on this forum to read this thread

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 92&t=24501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and call the senators and house members to ask for their support. I called everyone and it literally took between 2-3 minutes each. Unless you call, a Senator has to make assumptions on what their constituents think about the bill which may be completely different than the true feelings of the constituents. Let these individuals know what you feel. Even if you are not part of their constituency, they need to know what the people of Texas are feeling in general.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”