Is campus carry dead?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is campus carry dead?

Post by KD5NRH »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Tornado, I have been doing the same. We've had, what, fourteen years of concealed carry in crowded venues like shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. without innocent bystanders being shot. The crowds of students that I pass in the halls of my university building are little different from the ones I pass in HEB.
The local paper ran a front page story about HB1893 dying. (Oddly, it never made it into the online edition.) One of the quotes was from the Tarleton Police Chief about how this meant he wouldn't have to get his officers extra threat recognition training.

Anybody want to help explain to the Chief that "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" isn't really a great theory of campus policing?

Tarleton Police Department
Box T-0560
Stephenville, Texas 76402

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

Skiprr wrote:Just had to post this tidbit from Senator Rodney Ellis, quoted in a Houston Chronicle article today (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6432279.html):
Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

"When there is an alcohol-related tragedy on campus, you don’t hear claims that giving students a 12-pack is the solution," he said.

"Yet, when it comes to gun-related incidents, we seem to think that putting more guns in the mix will lead to a good, rather than bloody outcome," Ellis said.
Absolute master of logic and metaphor, is Rodney.
If I were an undercover LEO I presume that I should be fearful for my life when anywhere near these University Police, correct?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hirundo82 »

KD5NRH wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Tornado, I have been doing the same. We've had, what, fourteen years of concealed carry in crowded venues like shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. without innocent bystanders being shot. The crowds of students that I pass in the halls of my university building are little different from the ones I pass in HEB.
The local paper ran a front page story about HB1893 dying. (Oddly, it never made it into the online edition.) One of the quotes was from the Tarleton Police Chief about how this meant he wouldn't have to get his officers extra threat recognition training.

Anybody want to help explain to the Chief that "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" isn't really a great theory of campus policing?

Tarleton Police Department
Box T-0560
Stephenville, Texas 76402
He appears to have gone to the same training as Rice University's police chief. He testified during the Public Safety Committee hearing on HB1893 that his officers were taught to shoot anybody with a gun--he never replied as to whether that applied to HPD officers when they came on campus.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KD5NRH »

Purplehood wrote:If I were an undercover LEO I presume that I should be fearful for my life when anywhere near these University Police, correct?
Undercover, off duty, whatever; expect to be killed as "acceptable collateral damage" because training would eat into the toy budget.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Skiprr wrote:Just had to post this tidbit from Senator Rodney Ellis, quoted in a Houston Chronicle article today (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6432279.html):
Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

"When there is an alcohol-related tragedy on campus, you don’t hear claims that giving students a 12-pack is the solution," he said.

"Yet, when it comes to gun-related incidents, we seem to think that putting more guns in the mix will lead to a good, rather than bloody outcome," Ellis said.
Absolute master of logic and metaphor, is Rodney.
Is it possible he is that stupid? or is he just pretending to be ignorant of common sense?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Purplehood wrote:If I were an undercover LEO I presume that I should be fearful for my life when anywhere near these University Police, correct?
Only if you're worried about being gunned down in cold blood by trigger happy yahoos.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

Unlikely. They've got pretty much a full-time job writing parking tickets to supplement the University Police budget. Not really enough time to deal with rapes and aggravated assaults and shooting anyone, you know. But if they ever did get around to it, yeah, I guess they'll just start shooting and try to figure things out later. Sheesh.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Please anote the new "Two Urgent Items" posted by Mr. Cotton at 12:58.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Douva

Post by Douva »

I kept checking on the streaming video from the House and couldn't figure out why they were still on the Local and Consent calendar, which is usually knocked out in the first hour or so of each day.

Then I got a call from a friend who's down at the Capitol doing some lobbying. He told me what's going on. Here is the Associated Press report, for those of you who haven't heard.
Democrats use 'chubbing' stalling strategy

By KELLEY SHANNON Associated Press Writer © 2009 The Associated Press

May 22, 2009, 1:11PM

AUSTIN, Texas — Talkative House Democrats used stalling tactics Friday to prevent passage of a voter identification bill they oppose that's scheduled for debate this weekend.

Democrats — who'd warned they would put up a fight to stop the voter ID measure — began talking at length on non-controversial legislation to use up the clock. The Legislature adjourns June 1, and a number of bill passage deadlines are arriving in the next few days.

The Senate already passed a Republican-pushed bill requiring voters to show a photo ID or two non-photo ID alternatives when they cast a ballot. Democrats say that would prevent people without those forms of identification from voting and suppress turnout. If Democrats are going to stop the legislation, it will have to be in the House, where the chamber is almost evenly divided by party.

Veteran Rep. Delwin Jones, R-Lubbock, said Democratic opponents of the voter ID bill were trying to pressure fellow lawmakers to negotiate the legislation, in turn threatening scores of unrelated bills. The delay tactic, using the rules to eat up time, is known as "chubbing."

"In lieu of the filibuster, the House chubs," Jones said. "It keeps a lot of bills from being considered, which puts a lot of pressure on the members who have bills they want to pass."

The House gaveled into session 30 minutes late Friday. Then, after the usual prayer, pledge and welcoming remarks, legislators started in on a long "local and consent" agenda. It's supposed to be a non-controversial agenda of bills that usually breezes along.

But Democrats made it clear they planned to ask lots of questions on those bills and use up all the time permitted — 10 minutes per bill — to slow down the House's work pace.

One Democratic lawmaker during his questioning about a proposed municipal utility district in Waller County brought up a House leadership scandal from the 1970s. Another, questioning a Republican doctor representatives on his legislation, asked about the best remedies for nasal congestion.

Rep. Sid Miller, R-Stephenville, raised a technical point to try to prevent the whole local and consent agenda from being considered so that the House could return to major pending bills, like changes to the top 10 percent college admissions law and, potentially, voter ID, slated for Saturday. He later temporarily withdrew that technical challenge.

"Hopefully we can get back to the people's business and see less chubbing," Miller pleaded, to no avail.

Republicans huddled to talk strategy at the back of the House chamber and in an adjoining conference room, where former Speaker Tom Craddick joined them. The Republicans told news reporters to leave the room.

Rep. Mike "Tuffy" Hamilton, R-Mauriceville, said Republicans were taking a wait-and-see approach, for now.

Speaker Pro Tempore Craig Eiland, a Galveston Democrat, presided over the House early Friday instead of Republican Speaker Joe Straus, as is usually done for a local bill agenda. Eiland reminded lawmakers they had a full three minutes to explain their bills if they wanted to take all the available time.

At one point during the morning stalling, Democratic Rep. Mike Villarreal of San Antonio asked Eiland with a smile: "Mr. Speaker, are we going to break for lunch?"

Lawmakers were told there would be no formal lunch break; there was complimentary shrimp waiting for them in the recently remodeled legislators' lounge.

___

Associated Press writers Jay Root and Jackie Stone contributed to this report.
Unless this ends very soon, the answer to the question posed by this thread is, unfortunately, "yes."

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”