3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I phoned House Calendars and Senate State Affairs folks this afternoon, basically saying I was a University employee in favor of the bill, and asked for their support. 100% polite responses in return.

Thanks for the examples and telephone numbers in previous posts.

And in light of the previous post, I'm going to call my Rep. Brown (again).

John
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

hirundo82 wrote:
As another example, I am a graduate student in Houston. I take public transportation to and from school each day and am therefore disarmed on my commute as well as at school. Although my school is in a relatively safe area (as safe as one can be in Houston), many schools are not--look at the area surrounding Texas Southern University and the University of Houston--it is one of the most dangerous areas of town and that violence has been known to spill over onto campus. There is no magic force field keeping criminals from bringing weapons onto the campus simply because the school or the legislature says they cannot.
I think this is a very important point. A lot of the UT-related opponents of this bill made the point in their hearing testimony that while there is crime off campus, the UT campus is very safe. First of all, there are other campuses/students besides UT. Secondly, not being able to have a concealed weapon in campus buildings means that the off-campus portion of the travel to campus is disarmed and potentially at risk to the crime that these opponents admitted to happening off campus.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Codename46
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Codename46 »

Any word on when the Senate or House is going to vote on this? We have like 6 days left.
I'm gonna call all the Committee members tomorrow.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”