Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

May 11th is the deadline for bills to pass their body of origin! In other words, any House bill that doesn't pass the House by May 11th is dead, and the same with Senate bills in the Senate. We have three urgent action items that must be addressed ASAP.

1. We need telephone calls, faxed and yes, even emails (but not just emails) to the following Representatives who have removed their names as co-authors of HB1893 (Campus-Carry):

Dwayne Bohac http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... Code=A2230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe Heflin http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... Code=A3175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Particia Harless http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... Code=A3150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As always, be polite but at the same time be sure to let them know you are very disappointed to see them withdraw their public support. PLEASE call and fax; emails are a bonus.

2. Also, please call every member of the House Calendars committee and ask them to set HB1893 for debate on the House floor. It has 75 co-authors and denying a debate would be a travesty. House Calendars Committee

3. Please call and fax every member of the Senate State Affairs Committee and ask them to vote on SB1164 by Wentworth (Campus-carry)! Be sure to tell Chairman Duncan's office you want a vote. Also thank Senator Deuell for his very strong support of SB1164 during public hearings.

Please respond to this request ASAP and ask your friends and family to do so as well.

Thanks,
Chas.

Codename46
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Post by Codename46 »

Wow this sucks :(

ETA: Just called Bohac's office. Apparently they're concerned with the "ambiguities" that are in the text of the bill (probably mentioned in yesterday's hearing) and won't cosponsor it until those ambiguities are addressed =\.

I have no idea what they're talking about.

What should I do?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Codename46 wrote:Wow this sucks :(

ETA: Just called Bohac's office. Apparently they're concerned with the "ambiguities" that are in the text of the bill (probably mentioned in yesterday's hearing) and won't cosponsor it until those ambiguities are addressed =\.

What should I do?
As Charles stated in antoher thread, the 'ambiguities' are a 'red herring'. The law is clearly defined on what 'premises' are and IMO they (Senator Duncan and others in the committee) are trying to stall and let it die in committee. We can't let that happen.

I have called Rep. McCall's office and voiced my concern on Campus Carry and the Parking Lot bill. He is my representative and I made it clear they need to get these moving and make sure they have time on the floor. Calls in progress to other committee members in both the House and Senate. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Codename46
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Codename46 »

Keith B wrote:

What should I do?
As Charles stated in antoher thread, the 'ambiguities' are a 'red herring'. The law is clearly defined on what 'premises' are and IMO they (Senator Duncan and others in the committee) are trying to stall and let it die in committee. We can't let that happen.

I have called Rep. McCall's office and voiced my concern on Campus Carry and the Parking Lot bill. He is my representative and I made it clear they need to get these moving and make sure they have time on the floor. Calls in progress to other committee members in both the House and Senate. :thumbs2:
What is the NRA and TSRA and etc. planning on doing to address this red herring?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Codename46 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

What should I do?

What is the NRA and TSRA and etc. planning on doing to address this red herring?
We're getting you folks to start calling and faxing.

Chas.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Codename46 wrote:

Chas.
Thank you for saying that.

People like Chas, and the NRA are important, but only part of the whole engine. They are the conductors of the symphony, but we all are the orchestra. They are useless without us, and they help direct the masses for the best effect.

I think too many gun owners overlook their own important role in all this.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

22 faxes sent. I skipped the obvious Fs.

Like all printed-on-one-side paper around here, these faxes will be made into bullseye targets. :fire

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

nitrogen wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Codename46 wrote:

Chas.
Thank you for saying that.

People like Chas, and the NRA are important, but only part of the whole engine. They are the conductors of the symphony, but we all are the orchestra. They are useless without us, and they help direct the masses for the best effect.

I think too many gun owners overlook their own important role in all this.
This is absolutely right!! Response to action items are critical to our effectiveness.

Thanks,
Chas.

jamullinstx

Post by jamullinstx »

Charles, or other knowledgeable individual,

Please post a summary of the red-herring arguments for the "ambiguities" and the counter arguments so that I (and, possibly, others) can include the counters as rebuttals in our letters.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Here's what Charles said in another thread:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: There is no ambiguity and that is what worries me about Senator Duncan's questions. SB1164 is very clear:

1. You can carry on a college campus;
2. The institution can regulate the storage of firearms in on-campus dorms and and residential housing;
3. The prohibition on carrying at a collegiate sporting event found in TPC §46.035(b)(2) is still applicable, but only if a 30.06 sign is present.

DPS attorney Steve Moninger's testimony about a potential conflict between the definition of "premises" and "activity grounds" is utterly bogus and he knows it. He and I have talked about that very issue.

This alleged ambiguity is a red herring folks.

Chas.
NRA lifetime member

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Called the first 3 names....Heflin's office didn't seem interested in my call at all. The other 2 were polite and I felt they actually would tally my call in favor of Campus Carry.

Called both committee clerks and voiced my concerns there too.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

Mr. Heflin is A rated. Maybe the person who answered the phone was just having a bad day.

I like to send faxes because a piece of paper is harder to ignore than a phone call or e-mail.

- Jim

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I live in Patricia Harless district. She is normally very responsive to input from her constituents.

I e-mailed her minutes ago and asked her to reinstate her sponsorship.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 9

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Well, as a father with a daughter nearing college age, this bill is important to me. Important enough that I made the call to Mr. Bohac, Mr. Heflin, and Mrs. Harless office. Here is the response I got

Dwayne Bohac - I talk to a gentleman named Chris. Chris explained that Mr. Bohac is in support of the bill, and said that Mr. Bohac voted for the parking lot bill. However, Chris said that the ambiguity in the language of the bill caused Mr. Bohac to withrawel his sponsorhip of the bill. Chris said Mr. Bohac is still in favor of the bill, and if the ambiguity is resloved then Mr. Bohoc would move to reinstate his public sponsorship.

Joe Heflin - I talked to Mr. Heflin's assistant, and she told me that she didn't know much about it. She said she literally found out yesterday that he had dropped his sponsorhip. She was not sure what drove him to drop his sponsorhip of the bill. She took down my information and asked if I was in support of the bill. She also said that she would have Mr. Heflin call me.

Patricia Harless - I talked with Mrs. Harless assistant. She indicated that she dropped her sponsorhip of the bill due to calls from her constituents against the bill. While the assistant would not say, this leads me to believe that Mrs. Harless may not vote/support the bill at all.

Guys, I cannot tell you how easy it was to make that call. Literally took 5 minutes to each person. I feel it is each of your duty to show support and call these individuals at this very important time.

David

lj bluesboy

Post by lj bluesboy »

The guy I talked to at Rep Bohac's office (Chris?) mentioned that the Rep had gotten a lot of constituent calls concerning dorms specifically. He said that Bohac has every intention of voting for the bill, but could not keep his co-authorship due to constituent pressure.
Maybe the person who answered the phone was just having a bad day.
I got interrupted and snapped at by the lady in Rep Heflin's office. I didn't get her name. I was about halfway through my (polite) introduction when she interrupted and said "We've heard your script before, you can stop right there!" :shock:
Last edited by lj bluesboy on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Ramblin Rack from George's attack, and an Elephant Engineer!
App received by DPS 5/9; CHL issued day 129, 9/15

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”