HB410 status

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jlangton
Posts in topic: 8

HB410 status

Post by jlangton »

HB410 is showing "Passed to engrossment as amended" on the legislative history page. What exactly does this mean,and where does this put it for actually making it through the session and become law? I'm thinking I like the wording of the amendment as well.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HB410 status

Post by seamusTX »

This bill will have to be "read" one more time on the House floor, then voted up or down. (I say "read" because they don't really read the text of the bill.)

Nearly all bills that reach this stage are passed, but it can still die if the corresponding bill in the other house does not pass.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, SB 838 did not get out of committee, so I think we can forget about this until 2011.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The legislative website has been updated. It passed the House on a unanimous vote. It now goes to the Senate where the Senate companion bill by Senator Hinojosa got a very "cool" reception. No one on the committee liked it, other than Sen. Hinojosa. We'll see what happens, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Chas.

stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

I really for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone up there would be against this, especially with the MPA and all.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

It's a perpetual sore issue with police organizations such as CLEAT. They can't seem to let go of the notion that CHL holders are going to shoot them at traffic stops.

- Jim

Topic author
jlangton

Post by jlangton »

stash wrote:I really for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone up there would be against this, especially with the MPA and all.
Elitist law-enforcement influence. In discussions with guys at work there is one ex-sheriff's deputy here, and he's absolutely against any law that eliminates the duty to inform. His opinion is that law-enforcement officers MUST know every time there is a firearm in any vehicle, any time that there is a stop-no matter what. His opinion is that the public isn't trustworthy, and that he's at risk no matter who it is-if there's a firearm anywhere in the vehicle. We definitely do not agree on this at all. He's also of the opinion that anybody that doesn't come out and announce that there is a firearm is trying to hide something. That's the influence that we're all fighting against in passage of bills like these, and the influence on lawmakers from the elitist law-enforcement types is HUGE.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

boomerang
Posts in topic: 7

Post by boomerang »

I hope it passes but until then I will keep suggesting to friends and coworkers to get a Florida, Utah or other nonresident license.

When it comes time to renew my CHL, I won't bother if there's still a requirement to notify. Someone with a peace officer license doesn't have to notify. Someone carrying under MPA doesn't have to notify. Even someone carrying illegally doesn't have to notify, based on court decisions about self-incrimination. If they don't fix the problem I refuse to renew my CHL. I'll carry under MPA and reciprocity.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

boomerang wrote:I hope it passes but until then I will keep suggesting to friends and coworkers to get a Florida, Utah or other nonresident license.
The possession of a Utah, Florida or other non-resident does not relieve you of the requirement to present a CHL to Texas law enforcement if you are asked for your ID. You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. For example, if I am in Missouri I do not have to present my Texas or any other state's license to a LEO when asked for ID.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I'll pay the fine. "rlol"
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

Keith B wrote:The possession of a Utah, Florida or other non-resident does not relieve you of the requirement to present a CHL to Texas law enforcement if you are asked for your ID. You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. For example, if I am in Missouri I do not have to present my Texas or any other state's license to a LEO when asked for ID.
If someone has CHLs from multiple states are they required to show all of them or is any one enough? If my wallet with my Texas CHL is lost or stolen does it meet the notification requirements if I show the police my old NC permit?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

cbr600 wrote:
Keith B wrote:The possession of a Utah, Florida or other non-resident does not relieve you of the requirement to present a CHL to Texas law enforcement if you are asked for your ID. You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. For example, if I am in Missouri I do not have to present my Texas or any other state's license to a LEO when asked for ID.
If someone has CHLs from multiple states are they required to show all of them or is any one enough? If my wallet with my Texas CHL is lost or stolen does it meet the notification requirements if I show the police my old NC permit?
IANAL, but I would should show whichever permit you are using to carry on. If you have multiples and your Texas is lost or stolen, then I would use another state's if it is a valid CHL for carrying in Texas. However, there may be questions when you don't present the CHL that the LEO shows you to have.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
jlangton

Post by jlangton »

I just spoke with one of Sen. Hinojosa's aides and sent a link to this post to him in reference to SB838 that removes this double standard of "duty to inform".

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =7&t=24637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully it'll do some good to get this bill and it's Senate companion on it's way to the floor for voting.
JL
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Any news on where this is going in the Senate? I know it already passed the House.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CWOOD »

boomerang wrote:Any news on where this is going in the Senate? I know it already passed the House.
This is a link to the Texas Legislature Online. This is a bill lookup function which allows us to find much information about a particular bill.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... umber.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After using the link, just type in the bill number ie.: hb410 , hb1893, sb730, sb729

Another window will then open displaying the number and name of the bill, the caption (brief description, the author, co-authors, committees involved, and the history to date of the bill.

Across the top of that same page you will see tabs to provide more info ie.: Text, Actions, Companions, Amendments, Authors, Spnosors, Captions, Bill Stages

Some of the Tab info is already on the History page.

When the Legislatures is in its hectic periods, some time these pages are not current, but during the bulk of the sessions they are updated at the end of the day.

You might also want to explore the legislature generally at:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a LOT of info there including streaming broadcasts of meetings and archive video.

Hope this helps.

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

seamusTX wrote:It's a perpetual sore issue with police organizations such as CLEAT. They can't seem to let go of the notion that CHL holders are going to shoot them at traffic stops.

- Jim
actually CLEAT doesn't have a position on this

as for me and all the fellow officers I work with/talk to....they don't care about the requirement either, they're more concerned with the non-CHLs
LEO/CHL Certified Glock Armorer
Guns: not enough space here, but G17 duty/G30 off/S&W 642 BU
Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
If loose gun laws are good for criminals, why do criminals support gun control?

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”