Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

T3hK1w1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by T3hK1w1 »

That gives the anti's another entire year to yell, whine, and persuade the general public to neuter or repeal the law before it has a chance to prove itself.
***Edit* It also means that college students like myself go another year unarmed, simply because Sen. Duncan doesn't like us to be self-reliant***

By the way, what's going on in the House at the moment? They are discussing bills that are not on today's calendar, and are also discussing Senate bills.

Douva
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Douva »

T3hK1w1 wrote:That gives the anti's another entire year to yell, whine, and persuade the general public to neuter or repeal the law before it has a chance to prove itself.
***Edit* It also means that college students like myself go another year unarmed, simply because Sen. Duncan doesn't like us to be self-reliant***

By the way, what's going on in the House at the moment? They are discussing bills that are not on today's calendar, and are also discussing Senate bills.
The Texas Legislature won't meet again (unless the Governor calls a special session) until 2011, so the antis most likely won't have a chance to repeal the law before it goes into effect.

Bills must be approved by both houses of the Legislature, so the House hears Senate bills, and the Senate hears House bills. As for the calendars, I still haven't figured out exactly how they work, but I know that it's not a simple list. I believe the official calendar is actually comprised of multiple calendars. Perhaps Charles or someone with a bit more lobbying experience can explain how the calendars work.

Gentoo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Gentoo »

Not happy about the delay, but better in 2010 than never.

Having worked in Academia many moons ago I can understand the need for a year to get their act together. Most people running a university can't wipe their rear without forming a special committee to determine what kind of toilet paper to use, how many sheets, what color it should be, single ply or two, etc.

Gentoo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Gentoo »

double tap.

bad browser!

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 19

Post by TexasComputerDude »

you should really take that as a NO!

makes me think of my mom saying "I'll think about it"
Glock 30 - main ccw

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Aggie_engr wrote:I live off campus so it doesn't affect me directly... I'm just concerned about other chl'rs giving up their identity. Everyone on campus is going to know where the "gun room" is and watch who goes in and out. Maybe the interest in keeping up with who does store their gun will die off after time goes by...

Living in the dorm where you might not know your roomate, what friends they will bring over and what time of the day, I sure wouldn't want to live in the same room with a person I don't know and try to hide a gun from them or have them get all weirded out when they figure out I do carry. I kind of see it as a convenience. That way I don't have to spend money that I don't have on a safe/vault to store my gun in. Most people who are old enough to get a license move off campus by that time anyway, but I know that some students are required to live in the dorms.

You wouldn't be comfortable with a combination locker/vault novaman? What would provide enough security in your opinion? I'm curious... :coolgleamA:
this amendment got killed . I don't think it will effect many people at all. Not many CHL holders are living in Dorms.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Russell wrote:Trust me, I know the feeling. I work for a university and I swear they've formed committees to discuss forming a committee that's in charge of debating the possibility of a new committee about committees.

All because I wanted to purchase some software.
Ahh, yes, the Department of Redundancy Department.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

I've sent in faxes and calls to Rep. Edwards and Sen. Ellis, and will be sending in paper copies of the faxes, in which I outlined my personal reasons for supporting these bills. I work at a university campus, which has had its fair share of violent crime, so it's very important to me that these bills pass., that sort of thing. Nothing specific yet about amendments or the current status. I'll write those next.

I called Rep. Edwards' office, and had a nice chat with an aide that actually lives in my neighborhood. He wasn't sure of Edwards' position on it, but said he'd call me back with that information. I mentioned the fax, and outlined my basic reasons for wanting this bill to pass, and politely asked if he would pass that along.

I then called Sen. Ellis' office, and when I asked the aide what Ellis' position was, I got passed to a senior staff, who informed me that Ellis does not support it. I politely asked, what are his reasons behind that? The staffer told me nothing new, that Ellis does not think putting more guns on campus would make it any safer. (My next letter will address this very issue, pointing out the inconsistency that the same people who believe this believe that adding more police to campus would make it safer, and police protect themselves and others with guns...so the issue isn't really about guns, it's about not trusting everyday citizens with them). But for this phone call, I didn't debate the staffer, I simply summarized my reasons for wanting it passed, again as politely as possible.

Getting ready for the next round of communication...
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Vic303
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vic303 »

Made another call to my Sen today based on an email from TSRA that we need 21 senators to allow any bill to be debated by Friday.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Vic303 wrote:Made another call to my Sen today based on an email from TSRA that we need 21 senators to allow any bill to be debated by Friday.
Everyone PLEASE call your Senator and ask them to vote to send SB1164 to the floor. People who should be our friends are working against this bill!

Chas.

Senate Contact Information

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Senator Harris' aide just confirmed he's a co-sponsor and said he appreciated call with support.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Locke
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Locke »

Unfortunately my Senator is Wendy Davis (D). I called her office and her aide Marshall was very polite, took my contact information, and noted I was in support of the bill. He said he had not talked to the senator about this bill in some time but at the time she had not been in support as written. He mentioned that it had just had hearings. I told him that it had come out of committee yesterday and that it was now awaiting a vote to reach the senate floor. I told him I felt this was an important bill for the safety of students on campus, that it deserved a floor vote by the full senate, I would appreciate her vote to send it to the floor, and as a constituent I would be watching closely how Senator Davis voted.

Since she is a Democrat I was likely wasting my time but we can't give up just because things look bad.

Keep calling!!

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

Locke wrote:Unfortunately my Senator is Wendy Davis (D). I called her office and her aide Marshall was very polite, took my contact information, and noted I was in support of the bill. He said he had not talked to the senator about this bill in some time but at the time she had not been in support as written. He mentioned that it had just had hearings. I told him that it had come out of committee yesterday and that it was now awaiting a vote to reach the senate floor. I told him I felt this was an important bill for the safety of students on campus, that it deserved a floor vote by the full senate, I would appreciate her vote to send it to the floor, and as a constituent I would be watching closely how Senator Davis voted.

Since she is a Democrat I was likely wasting my time but we can't give up just because things look bad.

Keep calling!!
I consider that an inaccurate statement. Many Democrats are pro-2A in the state of Texas and elsewhere.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”