CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Re: CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB1164 passed on a 19 to 12 vote with one amendment exempting "teaching" hospitals.

It's now on to the House.

Chas.
and the odds of it passing the house?
I think the odds of it passing in the House are great, IF and only IF it will get through committee and Calenders quickly enough to be set on the House calender far enough up the list to get to debate and vote.
The votes are clearly there, but as you noted, time is not on our side. Any delays like we are seeing with employer parking lots and it's dead.

Chas.

BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Question, will the same calendars committee in the House (that drug their feet on get it finally scheduled) be the same one that schedules this bill coming from the Senate?

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Russell wrote:
BigBlueDodge wrote:Question, will the same calendars committee in the House (that drug their feet on get it finally scheduled) be the same one that schedules this bill coming from the Senate?

It would be an absolute travesty if the House drags their feet *again* on this.
I realize that I may be overly optimistic, but wouldn't it be "bad-form" to shelve something from the other side of the house that has been approved, as it may happen to your stuff that you already approved also in retaliation?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BigBlueDodge wrote:Question, will the same calendars committee in the House (that drug their feet on get it finally scheduled) be the same one that schedules this bill coming from the Senate?
Yes, there's only one.

Chas.

GaryAdrian
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GaryAdrian »

And as they drag their feet, we are sitting ducks!
On Wednesday May 20, 2009 at approximately 9:50pm, two UH students were robbed by an unknown male at gunpoint. The incident occurred at different times and locations on the UH campus, in a continuous episode, in which both of the victims described the suspect as the same person. In the first incident the student reported that at about 9:50pm the male suspect approached him in UH Lot 1E and displayed a small frame semi automatic pistol and demanded his wallet. The student stated that he surrendered his cash from inside the wallet and the male suspect went to a waiting vehicle and entered into the passenger side, at which time the vehicle left the immediate area. The second student reported that the male suspect approached her in the Bayou Oaks Apartments courtyard, at about ten minutes later, and demanded her cellular phone and personal tote (containing a small amount of cash and a debit card). The second student advised that she observed the male suspect approach an awaiting vehicle in the Bayou Oaks North Parking Lot and left the immediate area. Neither of the students were injured in the incident.

This has got to stop! UH has done everything it can to stop these continuing crimes but it has not abated!
Chas,
Is there anything we can do?
Gary
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Boy, that's really frustrating. I attended UH Central in the mid 80s through early 90s. I... didn't violate any laws, but I had friends who'd carry on campus because of the crime rate.

And you know what? They didn't shoot up any classrooms, or throw a tantrum if they got a bad grade & shot their professor.
GaryAdrian wrote:And as they drag their feet, we are sitting ducks!
On Wednesday May 20, 2009 at approximately 9:50pm, two UH students were robbed by an unknown male at gunpoint. The incident occurred at different times and locations on the UH campus, in a continuous episode, in which both of the victims described the suspect as the same person. In the first incident the student reported that at about 9:50pm the male suspect approached him in UH Lot 1E and displayed a small frame semi automatic pistol and demanded his wallet. The student stated that he surrendered his cash from inside the wallet and the male suspect went to a waiting vehicle and entered into the passenger side, at which time the vehicle left the immediate area. The second student reported that the male suspect approached her in the Bayou Oaks Apartments courtyard, at about ten minutes later, and demanded her cellular phone and personal tote (containing a small amount of cash and a debit card). The second student advised that she observed the male suspect approach an awaiting vehicle in the Bayou Oaks North Parking Lot and left the immediate area. Neither of the students were injured in the incident.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

Spoon?
NRA Life Member

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

GaryAdrian wrote:Spoon?
I believe that's a "Matrix" reference.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I just sent this to John Davis, my Rep in the House.

I got this this morning. I work here and I support HB 1893.

An aggravated robbery occurring on the University of Houston campus was reported to the University of Houston Department of Public Seafety. For more details in the incident, go to https://www.piersystem.com/go/doctype/1093/21522/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

This keeps going on and on. I know UH is doing everything it can, but UHPD can't be everywhere 24/7.
Something must be done. That something is HB 1893.

I hope he reads this. I know he is a supporter of this bill and I hope he can help.
NRA Life Member

Douva
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Douva »

GaryAdrian wrote:And as they drag their feet, we are sitting ducks!

This has got to stop! UH has done everything it can to stop these continuing crimes but it has not abated!
Chas,
Is there anything we can do?
Gary
I got this breaking news email on Tuesday:
BREAKING NEWS: UTPD investigate knife-robbery

UT Police officers are investigating a knife-point robbery that took place early Tuesday morning but have yet to identify the assailant.

An unidentified student was assaulted from behind, forced onto the ground on Inner Campus Drive between Gebauer and Painter Halls and robbed at knife-point.

The suspect, in his 30s, stole $425 in personal possessions including the student's backpack, cell phone, iPod and some textbooks, said Rhonda Weldon, a UTPD spokes woman.

Police officials are unclear as to who the assailant is, but are confident the person is not a UT student, Weldon said.

"UTPD typically would tell me," Weldon said. "That would be part of the description."

The student alerted UTPD officials using a police call box and informed them the robbery took place at around 3:45 a.m.

An investigation has been launched and UTPD investigators are working with the student to identify and locate the assailant. The exact circumstance in which the assailant found the student remains unclear.

The student was on their way to study early in the morning at which point the assailant either followed the student onto campus or saw him on campus. The assailant then grabbed the student from behind, displayed a knife and robbed him, Charles Bonnet, a UTPD Srgt overlooking the investigation, said.

"We are following all sorts of leads," Bonnet said. "We are looking into any surveillance footage as well as any witnesses."

In a campus-wide alert released around 6:20 a.m., the male assailant was described as dirty and dusty, being of medium build, having brown hair and wearing a camel colored jacket.

"The procedure is to notify the campus of the description and heighten awareness," Weldon said.

William Pieper, a crime prevention officer with UTPD stressed the importance of being aware of ones surroundings at all times. While there is no guarantee everybody on campus is a student or a UT faculty member, Pieper said he recommends students pay attention to their instincts, walk with others when moving around campus and being aware of all one?s senses.

Pieper said being distracted by listening to music, texting or talking on a cell phone can increase the ease with which an assailant can assault you. If assaulted or threatened, Pieper said it is best if one complies rather than resist.

"Nothing is worth more than your life," Pieper said.

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Where is SB 1164 being held up right now. I've printed the UH security alert out to fax to the appropriate people to make this crime issue known,but don't know where to send it. Is it stuck in Calendars,or is it going to go to another committee?
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”