CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Rep. Joe Driver has pre-filed an amendment to HB 2730, the DPS Sunset bill, which would de-criminalize the carrying of a concealed handgun by a CHL on the campus of public or private college or university. It would not affect the ability of institutions to adopt administrative policies regulating CHLs.

While this amendment represents only part of the original bills filed by Driver and Sen. Wentworth, it may also represent the most realistic chance for advancing the issue this session. Both time and legislative procedure are working against HB 1893/SB 1164.

Driver's amendment is currently #42, although amendments are frequently pulled down by their authors, so it may move up in order of consideration from that slot. The House could begin debate on amendments to HB 2730 after the lunch recess, so please contact as many House members as possible this afternoon and urge them to SUPPORT REP. DRIVER'S AMENDMENT TO DPS SUNSET BILL TO DE-CRIMINALIZE CHLs ON CAMPUS! Don't just say Amendment #42. It's fine to say it's currently #42, but be sure to identify it as "Representative Driver's amendment to de-criminalize CHLs on campus."

This is realistically our last chance this session folks, so please respond. Call your own representative, then call all the rest. We need to let them hear from us on this amendment or it will fail.

Here is a link to the House members' contact numbers: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... ?Chamber=H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all of your efforts thus far and please stick with us.
Chas.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 4

Re: CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Post by BrianSW99 »

Charles,

I'm sure there's probably a good reason, but I'm curious; if there was enough support on the house floor for HB1893 to pass as it's currently written, why could Rep. Driver not add in the prohibition against administrative policies preventing carrying to his amendment?

Thanks,
Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

jlangton
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jlangton »

Called McReynolds office,and they're still not even able to see the text of the amendment as of yet. it's listed,but nothing is there for them to see,at least in the office. I'm pretty sure Jim will back this-he's been rock-solid on firearms rights in the past,and in my talks with him.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BrianSW99 wrote:Charles,

I'm sure there's probably a good reason, but I'm curious; if there was enough support on the house floor for HB1893 to pass as it's currently written, why could Rep. Driver not add in the prohibition against administrative policies preventing carrying to his amendment?

Thanks,
Brian
HB1893 is never going to be reached. Time is going to run out. If by a miracle it is reached, then the amendment to the Sunset Bill will not hurt it.

SB1164, the Senate version of the campus-carry bill doesn't have the 21 votes necessary to bring it up for debate.

Chas.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Rep. Miller contacted. Hopefully we'll be able to get something done this session.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

Rep. Hughes contacted.
NRA lifetime member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Fred Brown has been contacted (twice -- at Bryan and Capitol offices).
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hheremtp »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Rep. Joe Driver has pre-filed an amendment to HB 2730, the DPS Sunset bill, which would de-criminalize the carrying of a concealed handgun by a CHL on the campus of public or private college or university. It would not affect the ability of institutions to adopt administrative policies regulating CHLs.

So basically the amendment would not prevent colleges from posting the buildings 30.06 or puting in the student handbook that they do not allow CC. Is that correct?
Steve

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I'll accept any form of progress on this issue. But University Lawyers being what they are, unless there is explicit protection of the University from liability related to having CHL's in campus buildings (something I think I remember Sen. Wentworth talking about), then they will likely maintain administrative policy for faculty, staff, and students prohibiting legal, licensed concealed carry.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Douva
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Douva »

hheremtp wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Rep. Joe Driver has pre-filed an amendment to HB 2730, the DPS Sunset bill, which would de-criminalize the carrying of a concealed handgun by a CHL on the campus of public or private college or university. It would not affect the ability of institutions to adopt administrative policies regulating CHLs.

So basically the amendment would not prevent colleges from posting the buildings 30.06 or puting in the student handbook that they do not allow CC. Is that correct?
Depending on how the amendment is worded, I think it's likely that TX PC §30.06[e] would prohibit public colleges from posting 30.06. SCCC President Mike Guzman and I discussed this with former Texas Senator and current Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson (author of the original Texas concealed handgun licensing law), a little over a year ago, and it was Commissioner Patterson's view that public colleges would qualify as property "owned or leased by a governmental entity" and would, therefore, be prohibited from posting 30.06. If that's correct, public colleges would still be allowed to expel students and fire employees caught carrying on campus, but they wouldn't be able to take legal action against anyone caught carrying on campus.

Locke

Post by Locke »

Contacted Rep Truitt's office.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: HB1893 is never going to be reached. Time is going to run out. If by a miracle it is reached, then the amendment to the Sunset Bill will not hurt it.

SB1164, the Senate version of the campus-carry bill doesn't have the 21 votes necessary to bring it up for debate.

Chas.
I understand that it's not looking good for HB1893 and SB1164, but I guess my question is why couldn't the same language in those bills regarding the university adopting administrative policies be included in the amendment? Do they think there just wouldn't be enough support for it if they included it? I know we'll have to take what we can get, but it sounds like the end result with this amendment will still be that we won't be able to carry because I think the odds of the university I work for allowing it will be next to none if they have a choice on the matter.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

scott_dfw
Posts in topic: 9

Post by scott_dfw »

Chas.[/quote]
I think the odds of the university I work for allowing it will be next to none if they have a choice on the matter.[/quote]

Mine as well. They have already made it painfully obvious here that they'll do whatever they can to prevent concealed carry on campus. So if there are any loopholes, catches, or other gotchas that an institution can use to prevent or make hellish to achieve....my campus will walk the earth to find and use them.
(triple checked for profanity)

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Joe, or anyone else that might know. What are the odds of SB 730 progressing? It is getting late in the game and not much happening from my view.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Rep. Tan Parker's (co-sponsor) office called at 1:50 p.m.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”