CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Re: CAMPUS CARRY: TIME CRITICAL ACTION ITEM!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

FuziDave wrote:that was some good TV.

that guy with, I think it was, amendment #4. his rude response "read the amendment!!". you could tell he didn’t have much thought behind it. just read from a script.
That amendment was surprising as Senator Lucio is a co-author of the bill and when the record vote is available, I'd be surprised if he didn't vote for it. I was afraid that "parental request" amendment might pass and it would have created a nightmare scenario.

Chas.

sss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sss »

So, for those of us who haven't had a chance to watch... What the heck happened today? Good news or bad?
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

sss wrote:So, for those of us who haven't had a chance to watch... What the heck happened today? Good news or bad?
Very good news; the Senate version of the campus-carry bill passed to 3rd reading which means it will pass the Senate, unless something very unusual happens. Then it goes to the House.

Chas.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kalrog »

We still have a potential time crunch in the House though, right?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Kalrog wrote:We still have a potential time crunch in the House though, right?
Absolutely. Things will have to fall into place just right to get this done. That's why people need to be ready to respond literally on a moment's notice.

Chas.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:That amendment was surprising as Senator Lucio is a co-author of the bill and when the record vote is available, I'd be surprised if he didn't vote for it. I was afraid that "parental request" amendment might pass and it would have created a nightmare scenario.
Why? I'd think that a "mugger safety zone" that CHL students don't have to enter would be irrelevant to our safety, and a high crime rate there would be an excellent argmuent in favor of loosening other restrictions.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 4

Post by hirundo82 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was afraid that "parental request" amendment might pass and it would have created a nightmare scenario.

Chas.
I'm glad it didn't. I have nothing against students being able to request a non-CHL roomate (Utah has such a system), but the vast majority of college students are legally adults and it should be their responsibility (not Mommy and Daddy's) to make such a request.

Douva
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Douva »

On of our opponents just posted on her Facebook page that they're going to try to persuade Rep. Phil King (V: 512-463-0738 / F: 512-463-1957) and Rep. Tryon Lewis (V: 512-463-0546 / F: 512-463-8067), who previously voted FOR HB 1893 in the House Public Safety Committee, to vote AGAINST SB 1164 when it comes before the committee.

If you get a chance, you might want to call Rep. King and Rep. Lewis to thank them for their past votes in support of legalizing licensed concealed carry on Texas college campuses and to ask them to show the same support for Senate Bill 1164.

Owens
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Owens »

Wow!
Hadn't been watching.
I was too busy heating the tar and getting the chickens plucked. So for now, I'll turn it down to a simmer and let the rest of the chickens be. For now.

Looking at the bill text, something is a bit confusing. I thought it had been delayed for enactment until 2010, but the last line says 9/1/2009. Do I misunderstand? and what does the floor amendment mean for us. Assuming of course that this all flies over the rest of the hurdles without being further molested.

The chickens are eyeing me closely.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 4

Post by hirundo82 »

Owens wrote:Wow!
Looking at the bill text, something is a bit confusing. I thought it had been delayed for enactment until 2010, but the last line says 9/1/2009. Do I misunderstand? and what does the floor amendment mean for us. Assuming of course that this all flies over the rest of the hurdles without being further molested.
It is confusing (lawyer language gives me a headache :banghead: ), but the section delaying implementation of parts of the bill is still there.
SECTION 7. Subsections (a) and (c), Section 46.03, Penal
Code, as amended by this Act, and Subsection (k), Section 46.035,
Penal Code, as added by this Act, apply only to an offense committed
on or after September 1, 2010. An offense committed before
September 1, 2010, is covered by the law in effect when the offense
was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that
purpose. For purposes of this section, an offense was committed
before September 1, 2010, if any element of the offense occurred
before that date.
It delays implementation of the changes in the Penal Code, without which the bill is worthless.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 1

Post by UpTheIrons »

What can I do?

My Rep. is Edmund Kuempel (one of the co-authors of the House bill), who is in Brackenridge Hospital recovering from a heart attack and now pneumonia. When this passes the Senate and moves to the House, what happens? Can Kuempel vote from the hospital? Should I lean on someone else? Call his office and tell them to lean on someone else?

I think the ijits in Calendars caused his heart attack, because every time I called his office, whoever I spoke to seemed almost exasperated that yes, he was doing all he could, and yes, they were working hard to get it out of Calendars, and no, they weren't sure what the final outcome was going to be. Not mad that I was calling, but obviously they had been getting a lot of calls like mine and if they could have willed it done, they would have.

ETA: I will call Sen. Wentworth in the AM and offer my moral support.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SB1164 is now up for third and final vote in the Senate.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SB1164 passed on a 19 to 12 vote with one amendment exempting "teaching" hospitals.

It's now on to the House.

Chas.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB1164 passed on a 19 to 12 vote with one amendment exempting "teaching" hospitals.

Chas.
and the odds of it passing the house?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

pbwalker wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB1164 passed on a 19 to 12 vote with one amendment exempting "teaching" hospitals.

Chas.
and the odds of it passing the house?
I think the odds of it passing in the House are great, IF and only IF it will get through committee and Calenders quickly enough to be set on the House calender far enough up the list to get to debate and vote.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”