TWO URGENT ACTION ITEMS: Parking lots & Campus-Carry

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 4

Re: TWO URGENT ACTION ITEMS: Parking lots & Campus-Carry

Post by mikeintexas »

Coogan wrote:I know the NRA/TSRA has not asked us to, but I am halfway tempted to call Gov. Perry´s office tomorrow morning about this situation. I know he has no control over the legislature, but with his re-election campaign gearing up for the Republican ticket, he may be willing to make some public statements or exert some influence about this mess that could make him look really good with Texas gunowners. I know he wasn´t afraid to make some interesting comments during the Tea Parties.

I would start the call with something like this... ¨Hello, I´m calling Gov. Perry today because Texas gunowners are frustrated with some of the Republican leadership in the House. I know the Governor has no power over the legislature, and I´m not blaming him for anything, but I just want to let him know what´s going on and how I feel about it........¨

I know I´m grasping at straws, but do you guys see any harm in calling his office?
Governor Perry is following me on Twitter. I posted a message on there for him regarding 730 and 1164. Can't hurt!

:txflag:

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

Just got this message from the Texas Legislature Online.

SB 730
Relating to an employee's transportation and storage of certain firearms or ammunition while on certain property owned or controlled by the employee's employer.
5/23/2009 H Placed on General State Calendar

Locksmith
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

[quote="Charles L. Cotton"]We need everyone to call Rep. Brian McCall, Chairman of the House Calendars Committee and politely but strongly tell him that you want both SB730 (employer parking lots) and SB1164 (campus carry) set on the House MAJOR Calendar, not the General Calendar.

Tell him you are aware that:
1. SB730 - parking lots has been in the calendars committee for two weeks and a day;
2. You have watched other bills going into Calendars then being set to the Floor within 2 to 3 days;
3. That the Calendars Committee pulled the same stunt with the employer's parking lot bill last session;
4. That you know putting a bill on the House General Calendar is a move designed to kill the bill.

But according to Charles' first post on this subject, the General Calendar isn't the Major Calendar.

Is this bad news? That's the way I read this.

jamullinstx

Post by jamullinstx »

Faxes sent to Chairman McCall and Speaker Strauss this evening.

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TrueFlog »

mikeintexas wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:We need everyone to call Rep. Brian McCall, Chairman of the House Calendars Committee and politely but strongly tell him that you want both SB730 (employer parking lots) and SB1164 (campus carry) set on the House MAJOR Calendar, not the General Calendar.

Tell him you are aware that:
1. SB730 - parking lots has been in the calendars committee for two weeks and a day;
2. You have watched other bills going into Calendars then being set to the Floor within 2 to 3 days;
3. That the Calendars Committee pulled the same stunt with the employer's parking lot bill last session;
4. That you know putting a bill on the House General Calendar is a move designed to kill the bill.
But according to Charles' first post on this subject, the General Calendar isn't the Major Calendar.

Is this bad news? That's the way I read this.
If it has indeed been placed on the General Calendar, then it's in bad shape. Items on the General Calendar are unlikely to be heard in time for a vote and may well die on the floor. That's what happened to the Parking Lot bill last session. We still need to keep fighting for SB1164.

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

mikeintexas wrote:Just got this message from the Texas Legislature Online.

SB 730
Relating to an employee's transportation and storage of certain firearms or ammunition while on certain property owned or controlled by the employee's employer.
5/23/2009 H Placed on General State Calendar
I just looked at the House Supplemental Calendar, and the list is HUGE! At the rate the House seems to crawl each day, I seriously doubt they will have enough time to vote on the bill.

I feel like calling Rep. McCall´s office and telling him thanks for nothing...

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I'm getting ready to kiss the entire republican party goodbye. If they want my support (and money) then they had better step up.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TexasComputerDude wrote:I'm getting ready to kiss the entire republican party goodbye. If they want my support (and money) then they had better step up.
The Libertarians should be completely unwavering in these issues.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Plato

Post by Plato »

TexasComputerDude wrote:I'm getting ready to kiss the entire republican party goodbye. If they want my support (and money) then they had better step up.
Amen.

I'm calling today in a last ditch effort to help em see the light -but the Republicans who are allowing these procedural tricks to thwart the will of the people are seriously harming their party's future in Texas.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

This bill passed through the Senate and was passed unanamously. Why doesn't someone in the Senate put pressure on the Calenders committee to get their bill on the House floor? Or is this some plot by the Senate to make themselves look like the "good" guys knowing all along it's not going anywhere once it reaches the House?
CHL since 01/26/09

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

In addition to faxes to McCall and Strauss, I wrote to Rep. Kolkhorst as she's on the calendar committee.

Should we also be contacting Lucio since he's Vice-chair?
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Douva
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Douva »

MBGuy wrote:In addition to faxes to McCall and Strauss, I wrote to Rep. Kolkhorst as she's on the calendar committee.

Should we also be contacting Lucio since he's Vice-chair?
Yes, contacting Rep. Lucio is a good idea, but keep in mind that he was an author of HB 1893. Calls and Faxes to him should be along the lines of "Thank you for supporting this bill. Is there anything you can do to help push it through the Calendars Committee and get it placed on the House MAJOR calendar?"

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Good deal then, I wasn't aware of that.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CWOOD »

In calling/faxing/visiting members of Calendars Committee regarding SB730 (parking lot storage) and SB1164 (campus carry) please keep in mind some of the members of this committee authored/coauthored the house companion bills .

SB730
Companion HB1301 was authored/coauthored by the following members of Calendars Committee:
Vice-Chair: Lucio III
Members:Cook
Kuempel (still in hospital from heart attack)
McReynolds

SB1164

THIS BILL IS STILL IN HOUSE PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE. FOR A LIST OF MEMBERS OF THIS COMMITTEE CLICK HERE:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Committees ... eCode=C420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chair Merritt (supported HB1893)
Vice-chair: Frost (supported HB1893)
Members: Burnham
Driver (wrote HB1893)
King,Phil (supported HB1893)
Lewis
Mallory-Caraway
Rodriguez,Eddie (my rep and very anti)
Vo

If it gets out of Public Safety Committee, then it will go to Calendars Committee.

Companion HB1893 was authored/coauthored by the following members of Calendars Committee:
Vice-Chair: Lucio III
Members: Cook
Geren
Keffer
Kolkhorst
Kuempel (in hospital)
McReynolds

Please acknowledge their support when asking for action on getting these two bills to MAJOR calendar.
Last edited by CWOOD on Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”