MOVING FROM GENERAL CALENDAR TO 'MAJOR' CALENDAR??

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 5

Re: MOVING FROM GENERAL CALENDAR TO 'MAJOR' CALENDAR??

Post by CWOOD »

The MAJOR CALENDAR items have priority over GENERAL CALENDAR items.

SB730 and SB729 are items number 1 and 3 on the GENERAL CALENDAR. That in and of itself looks pretty good but it could all be set back for a continuation of yesterday's business...and there was a LOT of unfinished business yesterday due to the 'chubbing' delays to prevent SB362 (voter ID) from coming before the house.

All that being said, everything could change for better or worse. The members can suspend the rules, change the order, withdraw bills from consideration, and do any number of things to speed up or delay further the activities of the house.

Unfortunately we do not have (except Charles and Alice Tripp) a direct line to the floor to see know exactly what is going on. While the Charles/Alice link is important to us, I am sure they are bound to silence of any inside info they may have so as not to spill any beans and thereby potentially negating an opportunity we may have...or not have.

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

I'm watching now, and they're doing this Chubbing junk again. Aargh.

This is ridiculous, and people are even pointing out on the floor that it is.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

I am sure I dont like it either but will someone define Chubbing for me??? :confused5
wikapita did not have definition for it. :headscratch Thought they had everything. :rules:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dicion

Post by dicion »

As I understand it, it's house members intentionally using the maximum 10 minutes allowed for questioning for EVERY SINGLE BILL in order to delay, or prevent other bills from being reached, intentionally.

As one rep said earlier 'This bill passed it's earlier reading with 1 10 second question, I don't see why all of the sudden there's all this renewed interest in it unless it is to intentionally delay the calendar.'

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

That is what I thought. I dont understand all this politics. I just know right from wrong. I wish they did.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dicion

Post by dicion »

Also, the speaker just clarified:

If there is more then 10 minutes of discussion, the bill is automatically withdrawn from the calendar. Eg: KILLED.

So apparently, theyre KILLING Bills??!?!

This is ridiculous.

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I haven't been able to follow this closely but can someone make a list of all the traitors so it can be posted for all the world to see. I don't want to accidentally donate money to or support any of these people who fight against our rights.
Glock 30 - main ccw

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Watching these guys work is like watching an episode of the Key stone Cops. Too bad we cant get a Grand Jury to indict everyone of them on theft of taxpayer money, this session as been a joke to say the very least.

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

I think Perry should call a special session for each and every bill that dies in calendars. Teach em that they can stall and delay all they want... but they can't go home till the work is done.

It would be a great stand against the political bull that everyone hates... and wouldn't waste political capital on any specific topic since by doing it for every bill it would be a stand against wasting the legislative session vs a stand in support of any particular bill.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Sangiovese wrote:I think Perry should call a special session for each and every bill that dies in calendars. Teach em that they can stall and delay all they want... but they can't go home till the work is done.

It would be a great stand against the political bull that everyone hates... and wouldn't waste political capital on any specific topic since by doing it for every bill it would be a stand against wasting the legislative session vs a stand in support of any particular bill.
I agree 100%.
I happen to not like the voter ID requirements (if an ID is required to vote, getting that ID should be free and relatively easy) but the bill should come up before a vote.

Hate this garbage.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Ziran

Post by Ziran »

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Chubbing_c ... _taxpayers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The odds of a special session keep getting greater as House members run out the clock to avoid a vote on voter ID.

This is the first time in the history of Texas almost that you've seen a local calendar go two days," said Rep. Mike Hamilton, R-Mauriceville.

The House hasn't passed a major bill since Wednesday and spent a rainy Saturday afternoon debating bills that usually go uncontested. House Democrats are spending 9 1/2 minutes questioning the author of each local bill, the maximum amount of time allotted, in order to burn time and get Republicans ready for a deal on voter ID.

"It needs to be stopped legislatively, so we are using the tools we have in our toolbox to fight it," said Rep. Lon Burnam, Fort Worth.

The Democratic caucus has said they will vote to suspend rules and take up major bills, as long as voter ID isn't one of them. The controversial bill that requires voters bring photo identification to the polls is next up on the House calendar. "We are not going to change the calendar," said the Chair of the Calendars committee, Rep. Brian McCall, R-Plano. McCall said he was shocked by the chubbing (the House's version of a filibuster) since he spent all session working with Democrats to get their bills to the floor for debate. "I'm frustrated," he said. "We're all frustrated."

Since the deadline for the House to pass any more state bills is Tuesday at midnight, the two sides could reach a compromise. However, some Republicans said they won't relent on seeing voter ID make it to the floor for a vote.

"My people sent me here to work, " said Rep. Rick Hardcastle, R-Vernon. "If some people's idea of work is playing games, then my folks expect me to saddle up and play."

There are still major bills waiting in queue, like Texas Windstorm Insurance, one of the Governor's emergency items. If it dies because the clock runs out, then a special session is likely. The estimated cost of a special session is $60,000 per day and each one can last up to 30 days.

Opponents of voter ID said it's worth it. "I'm not willing to kill people for defending the right to vote, but I'm more than willing to kill lots of bills defending the right to vote," said Burnam.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

McCall said he was shocked by the chubbing (the House's version of a filibuster) since he spent all session working with Democrats to get their bills to the floor for debate. "I'm frustrated," he said. "We're all frustrated."
To bad he wasn't as interested in getting our bills to the floor for debate. I think this quote is gonna be a keeper.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

nitrogen wrote:I happen to not like the voter ID requirements (if an ID is required to vote, getting that ID should be free and relatively easy) but the bill should come up before a vote.
Getting an ID should be easy? Aw come on. You don't enjoy waiting in line ALL day at the local DPS? :lol: It's a great way to finish up all the books you're in the middle of!

Actually though, you may be onto something. If there could be a fast and easy way to get a generic Texas photo ID, then it would obviously mean resourcing and staffing DPS a whole lot more...which could lead to faster processing times for CHL. Hmm, kill two birds with one stone?
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ClarkLZeuss wrote:
nitrogen wrote:I happen to not like the voter ID requirements (if an ID is required to vote, getting that ID should be free and relatively easy) but the bill should come up before a vote.
Getting an ID should be easy? Aw come on. You don't enjoy waiting in line ALL day at the local DPS? :lol: It's a great way to finish up all the books you're in the middle of!

Actually though, you may be onto something. If there could be a fast and easy way to get a generic Texas photo ID, then it would obviously mean resourcing and staffing DPS a whole lot more...which could lead to faster processing times for CHL. Hmm, kill two birds with one stone?
Although I've only been to 2 local DPS offices both in Galveston county. I've never had to spend more than 10 minutes to get a Drivers lisence. Except when I took my Class B test that took 4 of us an hour. I've always been impressed with the politeness and friendliness of the people. Maybe it is different in the big city.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I think the voter ID bill is a waste of time on both parties, but mostly because it should be at the registration and not the actual vote that you prove your residency and citizenship.

But the easy way for the Democrats to compromise and make the bill work is to add one clause to it. The bill already is written to accept mail addressed to the voter from a government agency as one of the alternative IDs. So, add a clause saying the voter registrar (whoever it is in each county) must mail each registered voter a letter notifying him of the election within 30 days before the absentee voting begins. This way, we insure that all registered voters can meet the requriements and we also ensure everyone is told about the election coming up. It might actually help get some turnout in lesser elections.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”