Interesting day VISITING the Capitol today

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 2

Interesting day VISITING the Capitol today

Post by CWOOD »

I decided to make use of a day off and go to the Capitol to visit with each of the members of the House Public Safety Committee.

I managed to talk to a real person in all of the Members' offices except Rep. Joe Driver and Rep. Barbara Mallory Caraway. When I got home I emailed them to express regret at missing them and expressed thanks to Rep. Driver for his efforts on our behalf, and to urge Rep. Mallory Caraway to support SB1164 in committee.

Every office I was able to visit mentioned that there had been a lot of contact regarding SB1164..."the gun bill" or the "guns on campus bill". My impression that most contacts had been in support. The sign in sheets seemed to support that view.

I had a very pleasant experience when I called on the office of my own Rep. Eddie Rodriguez. I knew from previous contact that Rep. Rodriguez was strongly against SB1164.

When I arrived at his office and spoke to one of his assistants, I mentioned that I was a constituent and wanted him to vote on a couple of issues. Rep. Rodriguez happend to come from his personal office to the general office area as I spoke. He graciously invited me into his personal office and invited me to sit. I started off with SB729 (defense to prosecution in a non-posted 51% location) and after explaining the bill to him, he said that he would have not problem supporting that bill. A pleasant suprise.

I then mentioned SB730 (parking lot) and he said that he was undecided on this one. I mentioned that the legislature had established precedent of the vehicle being and extension of one's home on several occasions and that this was a similar situation. Also mentioned that MY employer (large retailer) chooses to NOT restrict the general public but ONLY employees and that this would not affect possession in the premisis of the business. He listened closely and again said that he was undecided, but at least he listened.

Then he brought up SB1164 and his strong opposition to it. I noted that I was aware of his position and that we would have to agree to disagree but appreciated the gentlemanly manner with which he disagreed. Followed up with a 'thank you' email.

Suprisingly, I think he will vote FOR SB729 which he had not really considered, and may vote for SB730. One and one-half out of three is better than I had anticipated.

It is always interesting visiting the Capitol.

By the way, the House and Senate Chambers ARE posted 30.06, have metal detectors, and several DPS troopers at the entrances.

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Interesting day VISITING the Capitol today

Post by Mithras61 »

Sounds like a good visit, all in all.

I can't say I'm surprised by their desire to bar firearms from the chambers. It'd be mighty tempting to "encourage" a little "action" on some of the bills there

:fire :anamatedbanana :fire :anamatedbanana :fire :anamatedbanana

:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

A-R

Post by A-R »

Nice work, cwood.

But I'm curious why the the chambers would need a 30.06? Isn't any area where a meeting of a governmental entity is regularly held already off limits? Or is this only DURING such meeting?

Douva

Post by Douva »

austinrealtor wrote:Nice work, cwood.

But I'm curious why the the chambers would need a 30.06? Isn't any area where a meeting of a governmental entity is regularly held already off limits? Or is this only DURING such meeting?
Per TX PC §46.035, concealed carry is only prohibited at a meeting of a governmental entity IF the meeting is posted 30.06.

Per TX PC §30.06[e], the 30.06 signs securing the House and Senate galleries must be removed when the respective bodies of the legislature are not convened. When the House adjourns for the day, the signs will come down, the metal detectors will be shut off, and concealed carry will once again be allowed in the gallery. The same goes for the Senate gallery, when the Senate adjourns for the day.

For more information, check out page 11 of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition."

http://www.StudentsForConcealedCarryOnCampus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (PDF version)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11922308/SCCC ... as-Edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Flash version)

Douva

Post by Douva »

CWOOD wrote:I decided to make use of a day off and go to the Capitol to visit with each of the members of the House Public Safety Committee.

I managed to talk to a real person in all of the Members' offices except Rep. Joe Driver and Rep. Barbara Mallory Caraway. When I got home I emailed them to express regret at missing them and expressed thanks to Rep. Driver for his efforts on our behalf, and to urge Rep. Mallory Caraway to support SB1164 in committee.

Every office I was able to visit mentioned that there had been a lot of contact regarding SB1164..."the gun bill" or the "guns on campus bill". My impression that most contacts had been in support. The sign in sheets seemed to support that view.

I had a very pleasant experience when I called on the office of my own Rep. Eddie Rodriguez. I knew from previous contact that Rep. Rodriguez was strongly against SB1164.

When I arrived at his office and spoke to one of his assistants, I mentioned that I was a constituent and wanted him to vote on a couple of issues. Rep. Rodriguez happend to come from his personal office to the general office area as I spoke. He graciously invited me into his personal office and invited me to sit. I started off with SB729 (defense to prosecution in a non-posted 51% location) and after explaining the bill to him, he said that he would have not problem supporting that bill. A pleasant suprise.

I then mentioned SB730 (parking lot) and he said that he was undecided on this one. I mentioned that the legislature had established precedent of the vehicle being and extension of one's home on several occasions and that this was a similar situation. Also mentioned that MY employer (large retailer) chooses to NOT restrict the general public but ONLY employees and that this would not affect possession in the premisis of the business. He listened closely and again said that he was undecided, but at least he listened.

Then he brought up SB1164 and his strong opposition to it. I noted that I was aware of his position and that we would have to agree to disagree but appreciated the gentlemanly manner with which he disagreed. Followed up with a 'thank you' email.

Suprisingly, I think he will vote FOR SB729 which he had not really considered, and may vote for SB730. One and one-half out of three is better than I had anticipated.

It is always interesting visiting the Capitol.

By the way, the House and Senate Chambers ARE posted 30.06, have metal detectors, and several DPS troopers at the entrances.
Rep. Rodriguez didn't happen to give you any indication as to whether or not the two parties are close to a compromise on the voter ID bill, to end the current filibuster (or "chubbing" or whatever you want to call it), did he?

Topic author
CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

Douva, he did not. The ID bill was not mentioned.

Sadly, he did express some concern about whether or not SB729 and SB730 would get addressed Saturday even thought they are very high on the General Calendar.

By the way, I DID carry concealed the entire time.

The above explanation regarding 30.06 and public meetings was correct. Only during meetings and only if posted is CCW prohibited. I remember a couple of sessions back where I could carry into House and Senate chambers durings sessions. I have frequently observed and even testified a couple of times before committee meetings while using my CHL.

It may be too late for this session for most, but I highly recommend anyone who can to visit the Capitol while it is in session. Visit with your reps. It is really very enlightening, meet/observe some very interesting folks, maybe do a little good. Great place to visit anytime.

I did happen to meet a part-time lobbyist for the American Federation of Teachers. I was having lunch in the Capitol Cafeteria(good food reasnonably priced). As I sat at my table I said hello to a gentleman at the next table. We exchanged some pleasantries, he invited me to sit at his table and we ended up having a very nice chat.

He is a retired teacher from Victoria and only comes up to lobby during sessions on a couple of items. Mr. Harris is a very cordial and interesting man. We may not agree on certain items but it was still a very rewarding experience.

Additionally, parking is available in a structure one block east of the Capitol. There is a fee but with a free grace period. For the time I was there, there was no charge...and I was in the shade.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/r ... eweek.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some people are just now starting to get the idea that not a whole lot is going to get done in the regular session...

Funny how some sessions are this big sucking vacumn of bills getting voted on, and then on to the govenor's desk, and others like this one, which remind me of a log jam on the Colorado River...

I'll be in Austin this Friday...Might be able to ask a few pointed questions to some key people...Or not...

Of course I'll have the entire 4th grade class (Wife Units school) in tow...10 year old daughter rule in place... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”