In case anyone is looking for SB730 and SB729

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

In case anyone is looking for SB730 and SB729

Post by CWOOD »

They are located on Page 83 of the 90 page (approximately as I began losing count) of the House Supplemental Calendar for Monday 5-25-09.

AAARRRG!! :mad5
I couldn't even find SB1164. Maybe the eyes were starting to go by then.

Salty1

Re: In case anyone is looking for SB730 and SB729

Post by Salty1 »

I am really upset with the political games that the Dem's are playing this session, I am at the point where I will become politically active and assist in defeating any Dembot running for office in my area. How dare anybody want voters to show an ID, guess the Dem's really count on votes from people who cannot legally cast them, and because of this they are willing to hold up lot's of good bills that need to be passed. Guess they are showing their true colors..... :mad5 :mad5 :mad5
Salty1

Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Douva »

CWOOD wrote:They are located on Page 83 of the 90 page (approximately as I began losing count) of the House Supplemental Calendar for Monday 5-25-09.

AAARRRG!! :mad5
I couldn't even find SB1164. Maybe the eyes were starting to go by then.
Calendars did not schedule SB 1164 for a vote by 11:59 PM Saturday (May 23), so it died.

After placing SB 362 (the voter ID bill) on the major calendar and kicking of the filibuster, the Calendars Committee didn't bother placing any more bills on the general calendar, which is now, for all intensive purposes, nothing more than a bill graveyard. Despite receiving enough phone calls from SB 1164 supporters to lead several of the committee members to shut down their phone lines, the committee apparently wasn't interested in placing SB 1164 on the major calendar.

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

So these folks on the Calendar Committee are responsible for killing our bills?

Brian McCall (chair)
Eddie Lucio III
Norma Chavez
Garnet Coleman
Byron Cook
Brandon Creighton
Charlie Geren
Jim Keffer
Lois Kolkhorse
Edmund Kuempel
Jim McReynolds
Allan Ritter
Burt Solomons

We will need to try to remove several of them before the 2011 session.

Douva

Post by Douva »

O.F.Fascist wrote:So these folks on the Calendar Committee are responsible for killing our bills?

Brian McCall (chair)
Eddie Lucio III
Norma Chavez
Garnet Coleman
Byron Cook
Brandon Creighton
Charlie Geren
Jim Keffer
Lois Kolkhorse
Edmund Kuempel
Jim McReynolds
Allan Ritter
Burt Solomons

We will need to try to remove several of them before the 2011 session.
Keep in mind that several of these members were authors/sponsors of one or more of our bills, so we'd we be well advised not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are definitely some legislators in both houses of the Texas Legislature whose handling of SB 1164 rubbed me the wrong way, but there were also some legislators in both houses who fought tirelessly for us, and there were a lot of legislators whose actions fell somewhere between the two extremes.

scott_dfw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by scott_dfw »

I think that any of the politicians that engage in 'chubbing' or any shady delay tactic designed specifically to disrupt the system should be voted out or removed.

This would be a deterrent to them in the future. If scientists would hurry up and invent the "virtual slap" device for our TV...I would have worn it out on Joe Pickett. :lol: His little game with the "HUD, PUD, MUD" story, and his "look at me, I'm funny" grin the whole time was enough to make me sick.

sigh.... anyone want to move to Utah? :shock:

(triple checked for profanity)

will381796

Post by will381796 »

What I find insulting is that Speaker Straus said something to the effect of: "I don't think that the people necessarily want us passing thousands of new bills."

What do these people think that they were elected to do? Their SOLE purpose is to pass legislation. Anything else is secondary.

And am I the only one that thinks it's silly that they meet only once every two years?! What are they doing during that second year, besides trying to get re-elected?
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

AEA

Post by AEA »

will381796 wrote:And am I the only one that thinks it's silly that they meet only once every two years?! What are they doing during that second year, besides trying to get re-elected?
They are drawing their Pay and Benefits for the lousy job they did the previous year.......... :oops:

I agree, anyone that was involved in the chubbing which killed our bills should be placed on the no vote list next time they come up! Make all of them realize that they work for us, not themselves! :smash:

This of course would not work with Federal Politics as our votes go right in the same pot as the rest of the Nation and all the dumb Libs........

But, as Texans, in Texas, I am sure that we can let them know in no uncertain terms that they are not performing to our expectations and therefore they are FIRED! We should be able to get a large majority of the 300,000+ CHL Holders and numerous 2A proponents who are not CHL holders to get rid of these bums!
Let's put our mind to this goal and make them learn not to mess with us again!

Someone who knows enough about all of this needs to make the list of who we need to kick out and we all need to pledge to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

will381796 wrote:And am I the only one that thinks it's silly that they meet only once every two years?! What are they doing during that second year, besides trying to get re-elected?
Actually, it isn't so much what they ARE doing as what they are NOT doing. They are NOT passing more laws to screw up our daily lives. They are NOT spending their time thinking up "wouldn't it be great if we passed law xyz" solutions to problems that they created with their previous efforts to fix things that are none of their business. They are NOT finding ways to extract ever more taxes from us...

Doesn't seem all that crazy to me, actually. In fact, I often find myself wishing that our congresscritters in Austin and D.C. both only met when a special session was called by a 2/3 majority of registered voters for a specific purpose and that any laws unrelated to that purpose were automatically sent to file13. I suspect it would cut down quite a bit on the busybody laws. Of course, it would be much harder to address emergencies and much of the Constitutional requirements of the Legislature if they only met in that fashion, but it sure seems like a good idea at times.

scott_dfw

Post by scott_dfw »

...often find myself wishing that our [legislators] met when a special session was called by a 2/3 majority of registered voters for a specific purpose....
Hmmmmm...

What would it take to get a special session called? Perhaps we could get one specifically to have the campus carry and parking lot bills heard and voted this time? :reddevil :reddevil
Last edited by scott_dfw on Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

It would appear the desire to let illegals, dead people, people who vote mutiple times, and others who are disqualified to vote was more important to the Texas demorats than the other couple hundred or so pending bills.

From NBC DF/W:
Dems Kill Voter ID Bill, and Nearly All Others Too

Texas Democrats declared victory in the partisan battle over tightening voter identification laws, but their five-day filibuster left hundreds of bills dead and threatened to spark a special session this summer..........
and
Hoping to avoid a special legislative session this summer, the Texas Senate passed legislation that would restore Texas' depleted windstorm insurance fund.......... They barreled past a midnight deadline with the help of a little legislative trickery: A Senate aide simply unplugged the lock at 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, allowing senators to keep debating as though midnight had never arrived.
So much for parking lot and college campus carry :mad5 :mad5 :mad5
Last edited by Jason73 on Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Well, how about 300,000 + calls to the Governor's Office DEMANDING a Special Session?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

scott_dfw

Post by scott_dfw »

I'm game.

Also, I believe an automated FAX every 30 minutes or so...to every representative and senator would be alllmost as annoying as the chubbing.

:txflag:

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

scott_dfw wrote:I'm game.

Also, I believe an automated FAX every 30 minutes or so...to every representative and senator would be alllmost as annoying as the chubbing.

I like that idea. "rlol" "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

scott_dfw wrote:I'm game.

We did that to "collect" some delinquent bills. It "persuaded" them to go ahead and pay up.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”