Current status?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Current status?

Post by AEA »

TEX wrote:In laymans terms, what does the knife bill do for us. It looks as though it keeps knives that can be opened by one hand or have slightly assisted opening (like Kersaws) from being declared switchblades. Am I right on this or am I missing something?

TEX
Correct.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 6

Post by AEA »

sss wrote:I believe this clears the "grey area" around assisted-open knives. I've been carrying one for years that works on a pivot, which is biased toward being closed but allows the knife to be opened with one hand. Not a switchblade or gravity in the traditional sense (or as defined by law) - but it could easily be considered illegal by a misinformed LEO/DA.
Correct.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

sss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sss »

I haven't paid close attention to Campus Carry in a few days now. Does anyone know where we are with this? Is SB1164 dead? :(
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

will381796
Posts in topic: 2

Post by will381796 »

sss wrote:I haven't paid close attention to Campus Carry in a few days now. Does anyone know where we are with this? Is SB1164 dead? :(
They're dead Jim.
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

will381796 wrote:
sss wrote:I haven't paid close attention to Campus Carry in a few days now. Does anyone know where we are with this? Is SB1164 dead? :(
They're dead Jim.
I take it that you are only a Doctor, and not a miracle worker?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

will381796

Post by will381796 »

Purplehood wrote:
will381796 wrote:
They're dead Jim.
Precisely :)
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

sss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sss »

will381796 wrote:
They're dead Jim.
What a shame. :( 2011 seems so far away... (because it is)
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Purplehood wrote:
will381796 wrote:
They're dead Jim.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...And I play one on TV...

But seriously, I was in Austin yesterday, and the Chub-fest2009 has had its desired effect...I had a great visit with my State Rep and Senator while the kids (Wife Unit's 4th grade class) went galavanting around the sights yesterday...

And to think we have had to throw the parking lot idea thru twice is almost beyond me, but it will probably be brought up again in two years...

I'm kinda hoping that the gun-owning and Second Amendment supporting voting block really remembers this session in the coming election cycle...

The Voter ID bill is certainly dead, but its demise does not direct me to do anything different when I run the polls in my precinct...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Amazing what a few hours of sleep can do for you...And I need to confirm this as well with someone...

Since this session has pretty much been a bust as far as our bills (progun) are concerned...

I believe that if we are going to have a special session, the govenor will obviously have to call it, and if he doesn't then we know where he stands on the big one...That Voter ID bill is the key...And if they call a special session for that then there may be a chance to get the pro-gun bills back into consideration...We got to hit those goobers in Austin so hard they feel it in 2011...And it is not a time to be nice about it either...

I believe we can still get a few things done in a special session...They need to temper the opposition by generalizing the special session to include what they can get done in regards to what is in calendars at the time this session closes...And get those bills requiring one more "read", and then a vote thru the system...Period!!!

Lessee what happens...Who knows...There may be a way to do this...

Call me an optamist, I have been called worse... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Owens

Post by Owens »

I believe we can still get a few things done
1) make a list of the traitors
2) vote them out! (i.e. FIRE them!)

They seem to have conveniently forgotten who their boss's really are. The citizens who sent them there to do their constituent's bidding, not listen and abide by what they want. The way I see it, they gave that up when they took the oath to SERVE.

In the mean time, it's time for some tar and feathers, spread out appropriately.

I'll start the list:
Sen. Duncan
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Just a comment that I don't believe our only reaction to this should be to grab the tar and feathers. Some of our legislators did support and do what they could to push our bills. In our frustration, let's not forget them.

For example, last Thursday I received an unexpected but appreciated follow-up letter from an aide of my Representative, Gary Elkins. His office had kept my information on file following my fax and email communications urging his support. In part, the email reads:
Rep. Elkins is a strong advocate of strengthening the second amendment rights of the citizens of Texas. Last session he voted for legislation that strengthened the rights of gun owners by legalizing their right to carry a hand gun in their vehicle and protecting their right to privacy. As you may be aware, Rep. Elkins is a coauthor on HB 1301. Under state law, Texans who are legally eligible to possess firearms may lawfully transport them in their motor vehicles. However, many companies with operations in Texas have adopted "No Firearms" policies that extend beyond the physical workplace to include employee parking lots, areas that are often accessible to the general public and not secure. By passing this legislation, employees would have been protected and employers would still have had control over regulating policies on the possession of firearms inside their business. Unfortunately Rep. Elkins was not able to vote on this legislation because HB 1301 died in committee and SB 730 died on the House Calendar due to the stalling tactics of the Democrats over the past five days. I understand that this is not the outcome you were hoping for and we feel your frustration.
I know Rep. Elkins' history in support of our issues, I received a nice snail-mail confirmation letter from him after my first fax asking for his support during the 2009 session, and I think the follow-up email was a solid message to reinforce to me that he did, and will continue to, support Second Amendment issues.

There are good guys on the Austin Hill as well as some who should seek other employment. I think the good guys are extraordinarily frustrated with the outcome of this legislative session. And I believe it is just as important for us to thank them for their efforts, tell them that we also feel their frustration, and reaffirm our polling-place support for their continued good work.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Owens

Post by Owens »

Skiprr,
I fully agree. There are those that did all they could and maybe then some. However, I was aiming my comments (frustration, anger) at those who claimed to be on our side and then crawfished on us.

Lots of thanks to go around for some, T&F for others.
Owens
Life Member NRA, TSRA

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Owens wrote:Skiprr,
I fully agree. There are those that did all they could and maybe then some. However, I was aiming my comments (frustration, anger) at those who claimed to be on our side and then crawfished on us.

Lots of thanks to go around for some, T&F for others.
Owens
Two days ago, I emailed my Senator chastising the entire legislature for letting "our bills" die. I have never heard of the expression "crawfished on us", but that is exactly what they did. I guess that is like a "crab walk"?
NRA Endowment Member

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

it was used in that movie, you might have seen, called Tombstone. Curly Bill uses it in the scene where they're watching the performance of Faust in the theater.
He asks his buddy if he would sell his soul, and Johnny Ringo responds, "I already did."
Curly Bill remarks, "I'da signed the deal then crawfished and shot that ol' devil."

or something to that affect. been awhile since I seen it....
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

Remember in November!
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”