Reflections on the 2009 Texas Legislative Session

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Dexdahex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reflections on the 2009 Texas Legislative Session

Post by Dexdahex »

Thanks Charles for all the updates :tiphat: There's always the next time...
"Every Citizen Shall Have The Right To Keep And Bear Arms In The Lawful Defense Of Himself Or The State"

CHL Holder
NRA Member

Fabrique Nationale Herstal (FNH) FN-40

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Everyone in my family is an NRA life member. I'm a TSRA member, and I'm working on getting my wife and son to join.

...And Charles, thanks for the clear-eyed and dispassionate assessment of our current legislative position.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Douva
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Douva »

Douva wrote:
joe817 wrote:I was in the process of blogging in The Daily Couger, demanding full retraction, and getting the records straight.

When I hit the submit button, "object could not be found". They've already removed the article. It's not there anymore, but it was 5 minutes ago. Wow! This was so embarrassing to them they could not even print a retraction. Some journalism, IMO.
Pulling the article from the website was the right thing to do because removing it prevents other news organizations from picking up the misinformation. It doesn't mean they won't print a retraction.

I just got a response from Matt Miller, editor-in-chief of the The Daily Cougar, and his exact words were, "I'm the biggest idiot in the world," so I think it's safe to say they're assuming responsibility for their mistake.
I thought you all might appreciate this response from the author of the article that received the egregiously inaccurate headline:
I have resigned due to the improper treatment of my CORRECTLY written and FACT CHECKED article which never mentioned 'Gov Perry' or the word 'Veto'. As a student, this could very seriously damage my reputation when entering the workforce, and that is a risk I cannot take. A retraction is being printed by the paper and one is on the web now. It clears me by name, publicly. The students involved, sadly, did not know the difference between a bill dying in commitee and it being vetoed by the cheif executive of our state. (Anyone with ahalf a brain knows Perry would support such a bill!) I would never attach my name to an organization who so carelessly "invented" news for the sake of a salacious headline. Keep taking crack pot journalist to task... someone needs to.

On your side.

Respectfully,

Eric Miller

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mithras61 »

Douva wrote: I thought you all might appreciate this response from the author of the article that received the egregiously inaccurate headline:
I have resigned due to the improper treatment of my CORRECTLY written and FACT CHECKED article which never mentioned 'Gov Perry' or the word 'Veto'. As a student, this could very seriously damage my reputation when entering the workforce, and that is a risk I cannot take. A retraction is being printed by the paper and one is on the web now. It clears me by name, publicly. The students involved, sadly, did not know the difference between a bill dying in commitee and it being vetoed by the cheif executive of our state. (Anyone with ahalf a brain knows Perry would support such a bill!) I would never attach my name to an organization who so carelessly "invented" news for the sake of a salacious headline. Keep taking crack pot journalist to task... someone needs to.

On your side.

Respectfully,

Eric Miller
Sadly enough, he may very well be right about others not knowing the difference between a bill dying in committee and a chief executive vetoing it. Our educational system lacks much in its teaching of how our government works, and many people sleep through what little there actually is. The problems with the article as it appeared suggest that a great deal of editorial license was taken with it, since even the re-edited version contained many of the same errors as the original. Since Matt Miller took responsibility for the original containing these errors, it seems reasonable to suppose that his is the "pen" responsible for their presence in the first place.

At any rate, if Eric Miller feels that his journalistic integrity has been damaged by association with The Daily Cougar, his resignation is an appropriate response.

Also, it appears that any articles which mention SB1164 have been removed, and I was unable to locate any retractions.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Douva wrote:
GaryAdrian wrote:Maybe if everybody writes this will nip this in the bud before the liberal leaning Universities start touting this as a win.
Speaking of claiming a win, anyone who hasn't seen this should definitely check it out:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... er-of-fail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had to literally go back and look at the source, just to make sure that was in the DailyKos...

But what is funny, and something I saw a couple of months ago...That the Main UH campus and the Clear Lake campus of the University of Houston system are not always in lock step...As the innaccuracies of the main campus were being spewed (and retracted after the fact), it had already been determined that the Clear Lake campus had studied and came to the conclusion that the Campus Carry bill should be passed and made law...Demographic differences between the two campuses set aside...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”