Effective September 1

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Effective September 1

Post by boomerang »

dicion wrote:Exactly. Just a nice 'I understand officer.' Is all you need.
Let him think that he's going to actually suspend it. You can laugh to yourself inside your own mind if you want, but it'll be quicker if you just go with the flow.

They'll learn when they get a notice back from DPS that they no longer do that, and that they wasted their time for not knowing the new laws.

Let their ignorance of the law be their own punishment ;-)
(Because, as we're told, Ignorance of the law is no excuse!, right?)
"rlol"
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

txbirddog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txbirddog »

So can someone please explain to me, WHY you wouldn't want to hand your license to a LEO in the first place. They are going to find out about it from dispatch whenever they run you license for warrants. I mean, it is not like a "secret" decoder ring that only has power when noone knows about it. I read posts on other forums and some states don't require it and those citizens are so adamant about not showing. I just don't get it.

juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

txbirddog wrote:So can someone please explain to me, WHY
It was explained 1000 times already.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

txbirddog, there IS no valid reason to withhold showing your CHL to a LEO. it's the law. I plan on abiding by the law and handing it to the LEO along with my DL if he asks me for ID.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

txbirddog wrote:So can someone please explain to me, WHY you wouldn't want to hand your license to a LEO in the first place. They are going to find out about it from dispatch whenever they run you license for warrants. I mean, it is not like a "secret" decoder ring that only has power when noone knows about it. I read posts on other forums and some states don't require it and those citizens are so adamant about not showing. I just don't get it.

Most of us are opposed to LEO's getting the information on their computers as well. There's not a 'registered gangbanger' flag, nor a 'democrat' or 'republican' flag. There isn't a 'Hunting License' Flag, etc.. why should there be a CHL Flag? Why should we, as CHL's, who have proven ourselves to be among the most law-abiding people through voluntary background checks and fingerprinting, be flagged?

Someone here once said that it comes up as Red Text on their screen. I don't know if that's true or not... but if anything, it should come up as GREEN Text.
We live in a world where Red means Stop or Bad, and Green means good or go. The connotations from the color of the text alone, if true, means that we are somehow viewed as negative. I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

However, with that said, While it is still the law, I will always show my CHL. But you can bet that I'll be doing whatever I can to promote the law being rescinded.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

dicion wrote:Most of us are opposed to LEO's getting the information on their computers as well. There's not a 'registered gangbanger' flag, nor a 'democrat' or 'republican' flag. There isn't a 'Hunting License' Flag, etc.. why should there be a CHL Flag? Why should we, as CHL's, who have proven ourselves to be among the most law-abiding people through voluntary background checks and fingerprinting, be flagged?
Ignorance and bigotry.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

dicion wrote:There's not a 'registered gangbanger' flag,
Side note that is a little off topic, but there really is a registered gangbanger flag. Chapter 61 of the Code of Criminal Procedure allows cities to build databases of gang members. A lot of cities check every name agains that database automatically when a person is run also. The cops in major cities (small towns generally do not have the resources to do this) really do get a registered gangbanger flag on some people.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”