Houston Mayor's Race 2009

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

Houston Mayor's Race 2009

Post by tomneal »

It's less than a month out and I don't know which candidate is the most Pro-Gun.

Anyone have an opinion on the subject?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

psijac

Re: Houston Mayor's Race 2009

Post by psijac »

I too am an uniformed voter. too bad we can't keep Bill White i thought he has done a pretty good job
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

I too would like to know where the candidates stand on gun control and concealed carry. I tried searching the internet for positions on those subjects and found next to nothing. If they have stated their positions I can't find it. I did see some reports from blogs and polls that said Annise Parker supported concealed carry by CHL holders, but I can't verify that directly. I guess the best thing to do is just contact their respective headquarters and ask.

Ziran

Post by Ziran »

Not gun related but Houston Going Bankrupt could present a real security problem:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... o-are.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The short version:
Houston is broke and is spending pension money (police etc) to pay bills.

Select quotes:

The City of Houston is financially broke and it appears that the mayor who takes office in January 2010 may have to captain the City through bankruptcy procedures.

It appears to us that there may be no viable alternative to bankruptcy proceedings and thereby positioning the City to regain control over its overspending, through addressing structural spending problems such as overstaffing and overly generous employee benefits

But even on the modified accrual basis of accounting (essentially cash basis) followed by the City and all other municipalities, the $236.8 million fund balance in the City’s general fund as of July 1, 2009 (the beginning of this current fiscal year) would not exist except for the City having deposited the proceeds of pension obligation bonds into the City’s general fund instead of depositing them in their legally required immediate destination, the pension plans’ bank accounts

Thus, as of June 30, 2008, the City’s elected officials essentially had transferred financial ownership of the City from the taxpayers to the City’s employees, about 43.7% of who do not live in the City, according to documentation we have received from the City’s human resources department. Very troubling, 63.3% of first responders (police officers and firefighters) do not live in the City

The City’s deficiency in unrestricted assets is so severe that in their yet to be completed audit for fiscal year 2009 the City’s independent auditors apparently will have to address the audit reporting issue as to whether the City was a “going concern” as of June 30, 2009.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”