Possible bill of interest

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Possible bill of interest

Post by srothstein »

I don't know what is in the bill, but it looks like we need to pay attention. HB 356 was filed today (11-29-2010) by Rep. Burnam. The text is not available on line yet, but the bill is entitled "Relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun."

Given our recent discussions and news events, I would guess that this bill makes it illegal for a Texas resident to carry with an out of state CHL. It is just a guess (and fear) since I have no knowledge of the bill other than the title. I will try to post again when the on-line registry gets the text.
Steve Rothstein

carlson1

Re: Possible bill of interest

Post by carlson1 »

It will be a bill with watching. I hope it is NOT a bill that would make it illegal for a Texas resident to carry on an out of State license.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

With an F rating from the TSRA, it can't be welcome news. However, I would not expect it to see the light of day.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks, I had forgotten to check today's filings, looks like several others might be interesting too

HB 348 Author: Walle
Last Action: 11/29/2010 H Filed
Caption: Relating to education and training for school district peace officers, school resource officers, and school security personnel employed by a school district.

HB 349 Author: Walle
Caption: Relating to requiring a school district to adopt a policy and collect data regarding restraints administered and citations issued by a school district peace officer.

HB 351 Author: Veasey
Caption: Relating to the expunction of records and files relating to a person's arrest.

HB 356 Author: Burnam
Caption: Relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Here's the link for when more information is available.

Doesn't look good. Burnam introduced an income tax in the last session - went nowhere. Big Bill White supporter, so probably anti-gun as well.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

steve817

Post by steve817 »

Is this it?

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a
concealed handgun.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 411.173, Government Code, is amended by
adding Subsection (b-1) to read as follows:
(b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), a person's license
issued by another state may not be recognized in this state if the
person has established a domicile in this state. For purposes of
this subsection, "domicile" has the meaning assigned by Section
522.003, Transportation Code.

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

That is it. This is what I have expected to see introduced due the ot he stink that was raised about Utah licenses being used to usurp the Texas resident license. Not a good bill for those who can't get a Texas resident license.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

But....but.....the legislature is on our side! We were going to get campus carry, parking lots, open carry, constitutional carry passed and the GCA of 68 repealed this session!!! Theres no way that ANY anti gun bills are being drafted, right?

:evil2:
TANSTAAFL

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:That is it. This is what I have expected to see introduced due the to he stink that was raised about Utah licenses being used to usurp the Texas resident license. Not a good bill for those who can't get a Texas resident license.
This is what we are facing because of the irresponsible advertising by two Utah instructors in Texas. This could have been easily avoided, but putting one's commercial interest ahead of Texas gun owners is always a bad plan. I wonder if those instructors bothered to tell their Utah students that a bill such as Burnam's was inevitable because of the bad publicity they were causing and that they may not be able to carry on their Utah CFP afterall? I suspect not.

This topic generated a lot of emotional discussion previously and I recommend that we not go down that path again; it won't help. We are now faced with fighting and defeating this bill. Emotional, saber-rattling, "kill them all and let God sort it our" arguments will be harmful, not helpful. There are two major weak points to this bill and one is the fact that it has been filed by arguably the most anti-gun Member of the Texas House of Representatives who has earned an "F" rating from the NRA and TSRA. Anyone who signs onto this Bill, votes favorably for it in committee, speaks in favor of it, or votes for it on the House Floor will be aligning themselves with the one of the most outspoken enemies of Texas gun owners. Pro-Second Amendment Republicans have enjoyed a huge victory at the polls just over a month ago and neither Rep. Burnam nor his HB356 represent the will of Texas gun owners who contributed greatly to that victory.

I will keep the second weakness of the Bill to myself at this point. There is no need to forewarn our opposition.

Chas.

boba

Post by boba »

Is he also sponsoring a law to ban sports cars because of irresponsible advertising by manufacturers and dealers?

:biggrinjester:

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”