Cornyn and McConnell Will Not Back Ted Cruz

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 50

Re: Cornyn and McConnell Will Not Back Ted Cruz

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

TexasCajun wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:I'd love to see multiple parties. Its healthier for democracy.
On that, we can agree. That speaks to another one of the institutional weakness of the republicans. They've made their choice. Now they have to sleep with it. From now on, they will only ever govern by coalition, and that weakens their position even further. In the other corner, the commies are all happy little bots because they get free stuff.

Lots of Republicans get free stuff off the government too. Every government contract out there is someone's meal ticket.
You can't intelligently equate someone living on welfare, using their obamaphone, and soon getting their medical through obamacare to a company being awarded a government contract.

Sure I can. The government industrial complex is a hungry beast. More relevantly in an earlier position I dealt with several clients who's majority of cash flows were from government contracts. Extremem good old boy with "bidding" contracts tailored to their products. They certainly weren't OWS protestors.

Democrats do it too (Solyndra, Tesla). Its all crony capitalism.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:I'd love to see multiple parties. Its healthier for democracy.
On that, we can agree. That speaks to another one of the institutional weakness of the republicans. They've made their choice. Now they have to sleep with it. From now on, they will only ever govern by coalition, and that weakens their position even further. In the other corner, the commies are all happy little bots because they get free stuff.

Lots of Republicans get free stuff off the government too. Every government contract out there is someone's meal ticket.
You can't intelligently equate someone living on welfare, using their obamaphone, and soon getting their medical through obamacare to a company being awarded a government contract.

Sure I can. The government industrial complex is a hungry beast. More relevantly in an earlier position I dealt with several clients who's majority of cash flows were from government contracts. Extremem good old boy with "bidding" contracts tailored to their products. They certainly weren't OWS protestors.

Then hang your hat on your president. You've taken this thread beyond the theater of the absurd. If you can't/won't distinguish between the leeches living off the hardworking taxpayers, political payola, and companies that provide critical product and/or services; there's not much that I can say that will get through to you.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 17

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

The key word here is "Products." People living institutionally on welfare, using obamaphones, and getting their healthcare paid for by the fines assessed against people like me, are not making any products that benefit society in any way whatsoever. At least overpaid bidders for government contracts have to actually produce and deliver a product or they can go to jail for fleecing the rest of us. Nobody is throwing welfare recipients in jail for fleecing the rest of us.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 17

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Lone Ranger and Tonto while on an adventure chasing the bad guys across the west Texas desert, made camp for the night. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep.

Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, 'Kemo Sabe, look towards sky, what you see?

The Lone Ranger replies, 'I see millions of stars.'

What that tell you?' asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, 'Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorological, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.

What's it tell you, Tonto?'

"You dumber than an Obama voter. It means someone stole the tent."

Cruz plays Tonto in this story, which is a perfect metaphor. In spanish, "tonto" is roughly equivalent to "village idiot," which is what all of his detractors are saying about him. But like Tonto in the above parable, the real "tonto" is the Lone Ranger—in this case, Harry Reid and any of the other enablers who refused to support Cruz's attempts to point out the obvious.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A rousing, heart-pounding speech before a coming battle can be the difference between victory and defeat -- if the battle is even winnable. Here is a portion of an article on http://www.FoxNews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; discussing who wins and loses if the government shuts down. The entire article can be read here: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... -shutdown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing worse than losing the fight to defund/kill ObamaCare would be losing the House to the Democrats, losing Republican-held Senate seats to the Democrats, and putting a Democrat in the White House. If that happens, a Democrat will put at least two new Justices on the U.S. Supreme Court and Heller will be overturned. Focusing on one battle and losing the war will be a disaster for gun owners and Americans in general.

Chas.
Government by Gridlock: Why Some Want a Shutdown wrote: . . .

President Obama: It’s not exactly the worst outcome for the Democrats if the government shuts down, especially if it’s only for a few days. Having hammered the Republicans as blackmailers for recklessly risking a shutdown, Obama would have a dramatic example to drive home the point. See? They actually pulled the trigger.

As the pain mounted, the Republicans would inevitably have to agree to a compromise that doesn’t defund ObamaCare, allowing the president to declare victory. Of course, both sides will look bad. But polls show that more people will blame a shutdown on the GOP.

- John Boehner Republicans: The House speaker very much wanted to cut a deal to avoid the shutdown drama, but was undercut by his Tea Party wing. Now he’s in a box, needing to maintain control of his caucus while knowing his party will bear the brunt of the political fallout.

But if the government is forced to close, it’s the conservative crusaders who will feel the heat to relent, without Boehner having to lift a finger. Once they start hearing from constituents back home, it may be easier for Boehner to cobble together a compromise.

. . .

atticus
Posts in topic: 8

Post by atticus »

Charles,
If you are suggesting that Ted Cruz will be responsible for losing the House to democrats, I would point out the 2010 election that took the House away from the democrats. It was a similar wave of conservative enthusiasm that resulted in Cruz defeating Dewhurst in the primary last year. Without the base that elected Cruz, where will the Republican party be in 2014?

bdickens
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bdickens »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:Lots of Republicans get free stuff off the government too. Every government contract out there is someone's meal ticket.

Equating businesses that make money providing goods and services to the .gov with professional couch potatoes getting a paycheck (welfare) for doing nothing but sucking up other people's oxygen is just silly.
Byron Dickens

mojo84
Posts in topic: 18

Post by mojo84 »

The republicans/tea partiers need to do a better job of explaining and getting their message out. Doing the right thing is not the problem. Not properly communicating the message is the problem.

One person on hear predicted the stock market would crash today and it would be Cruz's fault. I don't think the DOW going down 128 points constitutes a crash. If the message is properly conveyed, I think we can so the right thing and still gain ground politically.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The key word here is "Products." People living institutionally on welfare, using obamaphones, and getting their healthcare paid for by the fines assessed against people like me, are not making any products that benefit society in any way whatsoever. At least overpaid bidders for government contracts have to actually produce and deliver a product or they can go to jail for fleecing the rest of us. Nobody is throwing welfare recipients in jail for fleecing the rest of us.
Not disagreeing with you there.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

TexasCajun wrote:Then hang your hat on your president. You've taken this thread beyond the theater of the absurd. If you can't/won't distinguish between the leeches living off the hardworking taxpayers, political payola, and companies that provide critical product and/or services; there's not much that I can say that will get through to you.
Evidently you're not familiar with the terms nepotism and crony capitalism I take it.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

atticus wrote:Charles,
If you are suggesting that Ted Cruz will be responsible for losing the House to democrats, I would point out the 2010 election that took the House away from the democrats. It was a similar wave of conservative enthusiasm that resulted in Cruz defeating Dewhurst in the primary last year. Without the base that elected Cruz, where will the Republican party be in 2014?
Cruz didn't lead the 2010 Republican win. That was us. He just took advantage of it.

BUT this theater may lead to the fall of the House, with no victory.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

bdickens wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:Lots of Republicans get free stuff off the government too. Every government contract out there is someone's meal ticket.

Equating businesses that make money providing goods and services to the .gov with professional couch potatoes getting a paycheck (welfare) for doing nothing but sucking up other people's oxygen is just silly.
They both take money from me without consent and minimal color of law thank you.

atticus
Posts in topic: 8

Post by atticus »

Hey CPD, It's sure a drag to read stuff you write that mischaracterizes what someone else writes. Who said Cruz led the 2010 election movement? Not me. Geez, you get tiresome. Behave yourself.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

atticus wrote:Charles,
Don't read more into the post and related article than is written. A "shutdown" of the government will not work to the advantage of Republicans and/or conservatives. Cruz isn't to blame for a shutdown, nor did Cruz have anything to do with the Republican takeover of the House in 2010.

2010 was a mid-term election year when the party in the White House traditionally loses seats in the House. To make matters worse for the Democrats, public backlash against the Democrats' for the passing of Obamacare and Pelosi's record unpopularity as Speaker of the House, resulted in the largest midterm change of seats since the 1930's. Republicans gained 63 seats and became the majority Party in the House. They also picked up 6 seats in the Senate. Ted Cruz was not a factor.

Just two years later, in 2012 the Republicans lost 8 seats in the House. They lost 2 seats in the Senate at a time when the Democrats had almost three times as many incumbents up for reelection as did the Republicans. After four years of Obama, with the implementation of Obamacare looming on the horizon, and in spite of political pundits predicting that the Republicans would pick up seats in the Senate and possibly take a majority, we lost ground in both the House and Senate. Some who share my strong conservative beliefs claimed that the Republican candidates in 2010 (McCain) and 2012 (Romney) were not conservative enough to get conservatives to the polls. While this was somewhat true in 2010, it's absolutely false as it relates to the 2012 election. White voters turned out for Romney in record numbers, undoubtedly to vote against Obama more than to vote for Romney. Nevertheless, Obama won and the Democrats picked up seats in the House and Senate.

I don't think the Republicans are going to lose the House, but with only a 17 seat margin, it's certainly possible, and some Republican consultants are clearly worried. As the article I referenced indicated, a governmental "shutdown" will likely benefit the Democrats, but it will undoubtedly hurt the Republicans in 2014. At the end of the day, Obamacare is still the law, it's still funded, Democrats hold the majority in the ever-so-important Senate, and Obama is still President. Until and unless the Republicans take control of the Senate and White House, and retain a majority in the House, Obamacare will not be repealed or defunded. Anything that makes it more difficult to obtain the necessary Republican control is counterproductive.

I don't like this one little bit, but these are the hard cold facts. Many of the folks who ignore these facts are the some people who loudly and proudly proclaimed that it would be impossible for Obama to be reelected in 2012.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

atticus wrote:Hey CPD, It's sure a drag to read stuff you write that mischaracterizes what someone else writes. Who said Cruz led the 2010 election movement? Not me. Geez, you get tiresome. Behave yourself.
No.

Also, then don't intone that Cruz helped lead that turn around.

He didn't.

But he may have helped kill it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Chas who said it better than I.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”