CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

Post by Excaliber »

In view of the fact that ISIS is actively promoting these kinds of attacks and the recent incident is proof that some will answer the call, this might be a good time for those whose EDC is a tiny "something is better than nothing" pocket pistol to consider how well they'd fare in a live incident against this type of adversary.

ISIS won't run out of brainwashed martyrdom candidates any time soon. It would be wise to be well prepared to encounter them.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Bearing Arms takes a stab at what went on.

http://bearingarms.com/pushed-forward-b ... errorists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't say all the info presented is solid, but there are pictures I had not seen elsewhere yet.
USAF 1982-2005

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Whether the terrorists were using auto or semi-auto, that is one brave hero to do what he did under the conditions he did it in. Taking on fanatics with long guns with a pistol, and winning on top of that is pretty awesome!!!! Kudos to the officer for saving many lives.

I pray other terrorists will meet the same or similar fate when they attempt future attacks on our soil whether the first responder is a cop or not. We are all in this fight together and we need to be prepared and willing to respond. If not, the fanatical terrorists will win.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

mojo84 wrote:Whether the terrorists were using auto or semi-auto, that is one brave hero to do what he did under the conditions he did it in. Taking on fanatics with long guns with a pistol, and winning on top of that is pretty awesome!!!! Kudos to the officer for saving many lives.

I pray other terrorists will meet the same or similar fate when they attempt future attacks on our soil whether the first responder is a cop or not. We are all in this fight together and we need to be prepared and willing to respond. If not, the fanatical terrorists will win.
More info: Garland PD spokesperson last night said the terrorists were firing "assault rifles", and they began shooting at police immediately after arriving. It sounds like they never made it past the perimeter of the site before being shot by PD. The officer that took them down was using a 45 cal. Glock. He said they planned the extra security at the event at a cost of about $10K.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /26848435/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

K5GU wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Whether the terrorists were using auto or semi-auto, that is one brave hero to do what he did under the conditions he did it in. Taking on fanatics with long guns with a pistol, and winning on top of that is pretty awesome!!!! Kudos to the officer for saving many lives.

More info: Garland PD spokesperson last night said the terrorists were firing "assault rifles", and they began shooting at police immediately after arriving. It sounds like they never made it past the perimeter of the site before being shot by PD. The officer that took them down was using a 45 cal. Glock. He said they planned the extra security at the event at a cost of about $10K.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /26848435/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't understand why you quoted me. I also heard the police spokesman use the term "assault rifles". To me, that doesn't confirm whether they are auto or semi-auto as I've heard many police chiefs and spokesmen not make the distinction properly.

Regardless, I don't think the cop is any less a brave hero whatever the weapons they used.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

mojo84 wrote:
K5GU wrote:

I don't understand why you quoted me. I also heard the police spokesman use the term "assault rifles". To me, that doesn't confirm whether they are auto or semi-auto as I've heard many police chiefs and spokesmen not make the distinction properly.

Regardless, I don't think the cop is any less a brave hero whatever the weapons they used.
I don't know why I quoted you either. A senior moment? I agree that from reports I've heard here locally from the PD that the officer that scored the take down is a hero for sure. He's is being mentioned on all the local news stations today.
Life is good.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
philip964 wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 5-07-17-22

ISIS takes credit for the attack.
That's like the French taking credit for Waterloo!

Chas.

I thought "credit" was given for something that worked out as planned. I doubt the terrorist thugs thought they would get dropped before inflicting any real carnage.
Not to get anyone upset by comparisons, but I think the terrorists think, this is a big deal. They were able to reach half way around the world and launch an attack against their enemy. It did not work out as planned, the enemy was prepared ( I have read but I don't know how accurate, if they had killed the brave hero and gone inside the building there were seven heavily armed SWAT members inside). But none the less they launched an attack on their enemy. Even Obama's press secretary said it was terrorism. The comparison that I will draw is with the Doolittle Raid. We lost a lot of guys, it didn't go as planned, but we hit the enemy in their home. In their eyes it is a great victory, just as we did with the Doolittle Raid.

If the first time did not work out as well as hoped, they are very good at trying a second time. (think World Trade Center) So they will try again. Will it be Garland Texas at the same venue, but this time at a more crowded function with less security and nothing to do with cartoons? Or will they try a soft target, a shopping mall in Dallas or Houston? More and better fighters this time. A school like they did in Russia.

They will not forget this. We should not underestimate the enemy. They want to die for their religion. Sirhan Sirhan killed Robert Kennedy almost 50 years ago, for these same beliefs. It hasn't stopped.

Previously I have never been a fan of open carry. I like the new law that has been proposed. I see a real need for it now. I don't plan to open carry, but now I will feel more comfortable carrying a better larger gun.

The next time, there may not be a hero police officer right there.

My apologies in advance to the memory of the fighting men of World War 2 or to any former or current service member, no offense was intended. The Doolittle Raid was a brilliant plan that raised the moral of an entire nation, who at the time needed a victory of any kind.

robster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by robster »

txglock21 wrote:
A spokesman for GISD (owners of the venue) was interviewed yesterday and said because it was built with bond monies, local, state and federal, that they could not pick and choose who they rent to or not. But, he also said they are going to meet with the attorney to see if they could find a "loophole" for in the future. My biggest issue is the center in posted 30.06, but that is a whole other rabbit hole I'm not going down. :coolgleamA:

I'll go down the 30.06 rabbit hole. Is this venue an "educational institution" where CC is prohibited, or is it a government-owned building where CC can't be prohibited? I already wrote to my state senator and representative. Here's what I sent them:

[Mr./Ms. Senator/Representative],

In light of Sunday's terrorist attack at the Garland ISD Special Events Center, the law needs to be changed to provide clarity on whether a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holder can legally carry a concealed weapon into a facility that is owned by a school district, but that is commonly leased out to the public for non-school activities.

The Texas Penal Code (PC) §46.03(a)(1) states that weapons are prohibited at an educational institution, but the statute does not clearly define "educational institution". PC §30.06(e) says that concealed carry generally may not be prohibited in a government-owned building; but if the building is deemed an "educational institution", then it seems that PC §46.03(a)(1) would prevail.

I personally have attended a non-school religious cultural event at the GISD Sepcial Events Center. As a CHL holder, I would have felt much safer if I could have carried a concealed weapon to protect myself and my family against senseless violence such as what we saw on May 3.

Maybe concealed carry is already legal for most non-school events at the GISD Special Events Center. But maybe it isn't. This is a gray area caused by a lack of legislative clarity. Most CHL holders will not carry a concealed weapon there because they don't want to be a legal test case. I certainly don't.

To summarize, a special events center owned by an Independent School District and commonly leased out to third parties should be treated no differently than any other government-owned arena/convention center/events center. Concealed carry should be allowed here. Please update the Penal Code to clarify that mere ownership by an Independent School District does not make a facility an "educational institution". (Alternatively we could legalize concealed carry at all educational institutions, but that's another discussion.)

Thank you,

[me]

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Given the terrorists were armored, were they taken down with head shots?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Abraham wrote:Given the terrorists were armored, were they taken down with head shots?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
The news has been very slow on how awesome this police officer was.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article ... 245034.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second terrorist.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 12

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote:Given the terrorists were armored, were they taken down with head shots?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
I'm hearing first one taken down with a head shot, second with a "spine" shot, but no details on where on the spine.
Follow up fire from SWAT over-watch, but uncertain still what role that played.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RoyGBiv,

Thanks!

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

AJSully421 wrote:"We take credit for two of our guys getting beat down before they killed even one single infidel."

"Cower in fear infidels... we will do this more and more... until we run out of idiots."
"We shall batter your fists with our faces until you surrender."

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”