FL professor on campus-carry: women cannot use guns effectively

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FL professor on campus-carry: women cannot use guns effectively

Post by Oldgringo »

tomtexan wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Anybody got a picture of this so-called professor. Therein might lie the answer to the reasoning of her post. :shock:
http://www.law.miami.edu/faculty/mary-anne-franks

Well, she ain't no Janet Reno look alike.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

AndyC wrote:
During October 20 testimony on the campus carry legislation currently under consideration by Florida lawmakers, Miami University law professor Mary Anne Franks contended that allowing women to be armed for self-defense will not accomplish much because they cannot use guns effectively.

According to the Herald-Tribune, Franks argued that guns are “highly effective” when they are being used for crimes, “but are rarely effective in preventing them.” And she suggested the idea that women will be able to stop a sexual assault with a gun is simply not realistic.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... fectively/

The Breitbart headline is taking Franks disingenuous statements out of context. What the anti Frank posits is a straw man argument:
According to the Herald-Tribune, Franks argued that guns are “highly effective” when they are being used for crimes, “but are rarely effective in preventing them.” And she suggested the idea that women will be able to stop a sexual assault with a gun is simply not realistic.
She claimed that armed women will not be successful because most victims of such assault know their attackers. She said the only way arming a woman will help is if the woman plans on “going out on a date with her hand on a gun.” The Tallahassee Democrat quoted Franks saying, “Studies done by many, many professional[s] have shown that it is really, really unlikely for anyone to use a gun effectively in self defense, especially in cases of sexual assault.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... fectively/

Her argument focuses only on the reactive use of a gun, when in fact studies support that just the perception of a potential victim being armed can prevent an attack:
Through in-depth interviews with 1,874 imprisoned felons conducted between August, 1982, and January, 1983, the government-funded researchers delved into the deep-seated attitudes of criminals on the questions of weapons choice, deterrence, attitudes toward “gun control,” criminal history, and firearms acquisition. The prisoners, studied under a grant from the National Institute of Justice of the U.S. Justice Department
Fifty-six percent of the felons surveyed agreed that “A criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun;” 74% agreed that “One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot.”
A 57% majority agreed that “Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police.” In asking felons what they personally thought about while committing crimes, 34% indicated that they thought about getting “shot at by police” or “shot by victim.”
Interesting article. You should save the link to share with other "know it all experts"
https://twg2a.wordpress.com/2011/11/05/ ... -a-victim/
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:There seems to be an epidemic in academic circles of professors taking stances and making statements about issues they have no personal experience with or understanding of. The media seems to flock to them lending an air of legitimacy to their views that is unwarranted.
For some reason credibility is granted to people with zero experience in the subjects they speak about simply because they have the title of professor, or have a doctorate.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Don't be so quick to assume she's a moron. The signature feature of the anti-selfdefense crowd and liberals in general is that they are pathological liars. I'm sure she doesn't actually care what is real or true if it doesn't serve her agenda. She may be a feminist, and the current goal of feminism is not mere equality, as it used to be, but to make women free from any responsibility or accountability for their choices, decisions, or actions. You can't have that goal and also have women using good judgement and taking responsibility for their own defense.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

AndyC wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:There seems to be an epidemic in academic circles of professors taking stances and making statements about issues they have no personal experience with or understanding of. The media seems to flock to them lending an air of legitimacy to their views that is unwarranted.
For some reason credibility is granted to people with zero experience in the subjects they speak about simply because they have the title of professor, or have a doctorate.
As you probably know, that's a pretty good example of the logical fallacy called 'Appeal to authority".

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... ority.html
definitely! We just went over fallacies in a philosophy class I am in!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

VMI77 wrote:Don't be so quick to assume she's a moron. The signature feature of the anti-selfdefense crowd and liberals in general is that they are pathological liars. I'm sure she doesn't actually care what is real or true if it doesn't serve her agenda. She may be a feminist, and the current goal of feminism is not mere equality, as it used to be, but to make women free from any responsibility or accountability for their choices, decisions, or actions. You can't have that goal and also have women using good judgement and taking responsibility for their own defense.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I sent the link to my daughter (Major, USMCR). Her response was "What a Bozo."
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

oohrah wrote:I sent the link to my daughter (Major, USMCR). Her response was "What a Bozo."
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

She doesn't know some of the women I know.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Pawpaw wrote:
VMI77 wrote:Don't be so quick to assume she's a moron. The signature feature of the anti-selfdefense crowd and liberals in general is that they are pathological liars. I'm sure she doesn't actually care what is real or true if it doesn't serve her agenda. She may be a feminist, and the current goal of feminism is not mere equality, as it used to be, but to make women free from any responsibility or accountability for their choices, decisions, or actions. You can't have that goal and also have women using good judgement and taking responsibility for their own defense.
I remember that scene. But at the time it was supposed to be a sign of his attitude about women. Since then the new wave feminists have been working hard to make it a reality.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

oohrah wrote:I sent the link to my daughter (Major, USMCR). Her response was "What a Bozo."
Did your daughter write a letter to Ms. Mary Anne Franks to tell her she is a Bozo? Ms. Franks might not know she is. She may just be living her life believing she is as intelligent or more so than the average person.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

VoiceofReason wrote:
Did your daughter write a letter to Ms. Mary Anne Franks to tell her she is a Bozo? Ms. Franks might not know she is. She may just be living her life believing she is as intelligent or more so than the average person.
It doesn't matter if she is more intelligent. Any human can make a mistake at anytime. GOD built that into the design
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

VoiceofReason wrote:
She probably is more intelligent than the average population, she is just ignorant concerning this subject.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”