His full Name is: Willard Mitt Romney

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 77

Re: His full Name is: Willard Mitt Romney

Post by RoyGBiv »

2firfun50 wrote:In my opionion, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are not "entitlements". They are forced investments in the future. We have paid into that system since 1939 and it is too late to call a mulligan. For me, "Now" is the future I have been investing in it for a total of 47 yrs. It is time.

Its time to quit playing the shell game and get serious. The balloon payments are due. Neither party. nor the American people have the will or the courage.
Maybe you didn't catch this bit of news this week.
http://blog.aarp.org/2012/08/06/the-tak ... -get-back/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How mad does it make you to know that putting your money in a passbook savings account would leave you better off than putting it into the SS Trust fund? It certainly makes me :mad5

If you LISTEN to Obama/Biden/Romney/Ryan, and then critically evaluate what they're saying, there's only one guy with un-impeachable credentials as a deficit and spending Hawk... Ryan. Ryan was the only guy in Congress with the testicular fortitude to put forward his own budget, including fixes to entitlements, then show it to the world and stand the heat and fury of being the guy that would push granny off the cliff. Listen to Ryan, give him the chance. He'll win you over. And he's open to negotiation and better ideas. But he's the ONLY guy brave enough to put his flag in the ground and start the discussion. He's an easy target, but thus far still standing. He's flourishing, because he's the only 100% true to himself guy on either ticket.
Teamless wrote: 1 - they already paid their 23% on money they earned, then they took that earned (and taxed money) and invested it, and paid another 15% on earnings there, so they are essentially DOUBLE TAXED.
2 - they are [only] paying 15% on investment gains, but how much did they actually lose on their other investments?
So in the end, how much are they really paying out?
23% originally
15% on earnings
??? of losses?
Spot-on :thumbs2:
Investors create jobs for the rest of us.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
glockstero
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by glockstero »

Excellent post Teamless. I would love to have the tax debate using real dollar amounts instead of rates. Romney paid more tax dollars last year than I will pay my entire life. I'm not jealous of his success one tiny bit.

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2firfun50 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:In my opionion, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are not "entitlements". They are forced investments in the future. We have paid into that system since 1939 and it is too late to call a mulligan. For me, "Now" is the future I have been investing in it for a total of 47 yrs. It is time.

Its time to quit playing the shell game and get serious. The balloon payments are due. Neither party. nor the American people have the will or the courage.
Maybe you didn't catch this bit of news this week.
http://blog.aarp.org/2012/08/06/the-tak ... -get-back/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How mad does it make you to know that putting your money in a passbook savings account would leave you better off than putting it into the SS Trust fund? It certainly makes me :mad5

If you LISTEN to Obama/Biden/Romney/Ryan, and then critically evaluate what they're saying, there's only one guy with un-impeachable credentials as a deficit and spending Hawk... Ryan. Ryan was the only guy in Congress with the testicular fortitude to put forward his own budget, including fixes to entitlements, then show it to the world and stand the heat and fury of being the guy that would push granny off the cliff. Listen to Ryan, give him the chance. He'll win you over. And he's open to negotiation and better ideas. But he's the ONLY guy brave enough to put his flag in the ground and start the discussion. He's an easy target, but thus far still standing. He's flourishing, because he's the only 100% true to himself guy on either ticket.
Teamless wrote: 1 - they already paid their 23% on money they earned, then they took that earned (and taxed money) and invested it, and paid another 15% on earnings there, so they are essentially DOUBLE TAXED.
2 - they are [only] paying 15% on investment gains, but how much did they actually lose on their other investments?
23% originally
15% on earnings
??? of losses?
Spot-on :thumbs2:
Investors create jobs for the rest of us.

Excellent post and I really appreciate your entering into a real discussion!!!!!!!

I could easily be moved over to Ryan's side. However, as Vice President, he loses his powerful seat in the house. He now becomes a non factor after the election if Romney wins. I can only support him if he is at the top of the ticket, not second fiddle. I believe the Republican party is doing the same thing they did with Teddy Roosevelt, getting him out of the way. Worked out pretty good for the country, not so good for JP Morgan.

I flat do not trust Mitt Romney. In my eyes, he represents the worst of the "connected class".

Topic author
glockstero
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by glockstero »

"I flat do not trust Mitt Romney. In my eyes, he represents the worst of the "connected class"."

Me thinks you are too worried about how he may benefit instead of how his "connections" may get this country moving in the right direction. You can't tell us you are happy with the results of Obama's policies thus far. The man has gotten EVERYTHING he has wanted so far, by hook or crook, and where are we......$15 trillion in debt and all he wants to do is spend more and keep dividing the country.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

2firfun50 wrote:As near as I can research, the Social Security trust Fund is owed 27% of the national debt. That money has been borrowed to support other government spending. That equates to over $3 trillion owed to everyone. With the aging population and more people becoming eligble for benefits, that money needs to be paid back (with interest) so it is available to pay benefits. That and with continuing contributions should be plenty for retirement and inproved medical benefits.

The Federal reserve is owed 17% of the national debt. That money needs to be paid back (with interest) and made available for private investment to start new business, grow current business, and be available for private consumer lending. All of which will stimulate the economy and be beneficial for job growth. $2+ trillon dollars should be plenty to get us out of this recession. The holders of these securities are also getting older and will want to "cash in" and begin spending what they have earned in their later years (money goes straight into the economy).

Where is the money to pay back these loans? Tax money of course. So taxes for everyone are going to have to increase in a fair and equitable manner. I'm tired of paying 23% while those living off investments are paying 15%. We cannot expect the working poor to pay much, there is no blood left in the turnip. Tax breaks for overseas profit, overseas investments, and yes even the beloved home mortage deduction must go. That is nothing more than a government subsudy for the housing industry.

On the spending side, budgets near and dear to many are going to be forced downward. Military spending, foreign aid, pet congressional projects (pork which gets you re-elected). They must be cut far enough to allow substantial regular, routine payments to Social Security and the Federal Reserve (buy back the bonds, notes etc and force the money into the private sector).

In my opionion, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are not "entitlements". They are forced investments in the future. We have paid into that system since 1939 and it is too late to call a mulligan. For me, "Now" is the future I have been investing in it for a total of 47 yrs. It is time.

The problem I have is that its not only old folks who paid in that are getting benefits...but lots of others who haven't done one thing to earn a bit of it...just sat around and likely used illegal substances and want everyone to keep paying for them...not to mention all the fine folks from other countries who have come across the border and lined up with their hands out, too...why don't we see what happens if we cut off all that stuff? Also, I love it that we have to fix it NOW, in your opinion, because its YOU that are ready to get paid...yep, I love it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 91

Post by The Annoyed Man »

2firfun50 wrote:As near as I can research, the Social Security trust Fund is owed 27% of the national debt. That money has been borrowed to support other government spending. That equates to over $3 trillion owed to everyone. With the aging population and more people becoming eligble for benefits, that money needs to be paid back (with interest) so it is available to pay benefits. That and with continuing contributions should be plenty for retirement and inproved medical benefits.

The Federal reserve is owed 17% of the national debt. That money needs to be paid back (with interest) and made available for private investment to start new business, grow current business, and be available for private consumer lending. All of which will stimulate the economy and be beneficial for job growth. $2+ trillon dollars should be plenty to get us out of this recession. The holders of these securities are also getting older and will want to "cash in" and begin spending what they have earned in their later years (money goes straight into the economy).

Where is the money to pay back these loans? Tax money of course. So taxes for everyone are going to have to increase in a fair and equitable manner. I'm tired of paying 23% while those living off investments are paying 15%. We cannot expect the working poor to pay much, there is no blood left in the turnip. Tax breaks for overseas profit, overseas investments, and yes even the beloved home mortage deduction must go. That is nothing more than a government subsudy for the housing industry.

On the spending side, budgets near and dear to many are going to be forced downward. Military spending, foreign aid, pet congressional projects (pork which gets you re-elected). They must be cut far enough to allow substantial regular, routine payments to Social Security and the Federal Reserve (buy back the bonds, notes etc and force the money into the private sector).

In my opionion, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are not "entitlements". They are forced investments in the future. We have paid into that system since 1939 and it is too late to call a mulligan. For me, "Now" is the future I have been investing in it for a total of 47 yrs. It is time.

2firfun50, I dumped on you pretty hard in my last post, but if FIXING Social Security and Medicare are priorities, and not just kicking the can down the road, go to this page were I have amassed some videos of Paul Ryan speaking about how to fix it, WHY we need to fix it, and exactly, in hard numbers, what will happen if we don't do it now. And by the way, he wants to make sure you GET your SS and MC, not take it away. That is just democrat lies and hype and appeals to fear: http://pronetreferralgroup.com/componen ... e/119.html

I strongly urge you to do your fiduciary duty as a voter and watch each of these videos from beginning to end, with a calm spirit. Then match what is in those videos against the vicious lies that are being spread by the democrat propaganda machine. If you are a thinking person, you can only come to one conclusion. It NEEDS to be fixed, and it needs to be fixed NOW. Obama's plan hides numbers in some places, counts them twice in others (an accounting illegality), and kicks the can down the road everywhere.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Teamless
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Teamless »

2firfun50 wrote:he loses his powerful seat in the house. He now becomes a non factor after the election if Romney wins
Well, the republicans already have the house and unless something changes in November, that will remain.

He gains an actually bigger seat in the senate as the VP is over the Senate, so if the Senate actually goes 50/50 this year, he has the deciding vote.
ETA: I am thinking back 25 years to school, I hope my memory is right about the deciding vote
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Jim Beaux »

Teamless wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:'m tired of paying 23% while those living off investments are paying 15%.
You are paying 23% on money you earned working.
They are paying 15% on money they invested and were on the right side of the investment.

There are 2 things to consider:
1 - they already paid their 23% on money they earned, then they took that earned (and taxed money) and invested it, and paid another 15% on earnings there, so they are essentially DOUBLE TAXED.
23% originally
15% on earnings
??? of losses?

There is more: When one buys stock (with after tax dollars) they are buying a share of the company and thus, they become owners of the company.

If the company makes a profit, it is taxed; and then, when the profit is shared among the owners (dividend) IT IS TAXED AGAIN. Simply double taxation added to what Teamless posted above.

My question for the parasitic liberals are, "how many poor people have you ever worked for?"
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Jim Beaux »

Teamless wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:he loses his powerful seat in the house. He now becomes a non factor after the election if Romney wins
Well, the republicans already have the house and unless something changes in November, that will remain.

He gains an actually bigger seat in the senate as the VP is over the Senate, so if the Senate actually goes 50/50 this year, he has the deciding vote.
ETA: I am thinking back 25 years to school, I hope my memory is right about the deciding vote
Youre correct.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Slowplay »

I know the Obama gang has been calling for 10 years of tax returns and now the Obama campaign has now stated they will be happy with just five years of Romney's tax returns. Well, I'm thinking we should actually know more about this Romney guy. How much do we really know about him?

So, in an effort to reach out to our fanatically, curious liberal/progressive friends, I'm asking that Mitt Romney go ahead and answer some of the mystery surrounding him. I'm calling for Mitt Romney to start by releasing his college records! Let's find out what kind of a student Mitt was as BYU and Harvard! Let's see how the candidates stack up, starting with their respective college records - then we can get to round two, looking into their working/organizing careers. :boxing
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Slowplay wrote:I'm calling for Mitt Romney to start by releasing his college records!
Obama never released his, so how are you going to compare the two?

You cannot ask one to do it, when the other will not.

I am 100% sure MItt would also release his Birth Certificate!
League City, TX

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

Teamless wrote:
Slowplay wrote:I'm calling for Mitt Romney to start by releasing his college records!
Obama never released his, so how are you going to compare the two?

You cannot ask one to do it, when the other will not.

I am 100% sure MItt would also release his Birth Certificate!
I could be wrong, but I think you missed the sarcasm ;-)

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

G26ster wrote: but I think you missed the sarcasm
hmmm, could be, its hard to go from a "real' debate to "sarcasm" and see it!
League City, TX

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Slowplay »

Teamless wrote:
G26ster wrote: but I think you missed the sarcasm
hmmm, could be, its hard to go from a "real' debate to "sarcasm" and see it!
Yes, it was meant to be tongue in cheek - however, I do seriously think any continued chatter from the Obama surrogates about tax returns should be countered by the Romney camp choosing to go back even further in time and release his college records. Until Obama matches Mitt in releasing his full college records, then the Obama drones can shut up about the tax records (which is simply a diversion tactic).

I was waiting for a flight out of Chigago at an airport club, where I couldn't escape the idiocy of MSNBC on most TV's, when I wrote the comment. The lapdogs and advocates for Obama (most of the media) are simply going to attack Romney & Ryan, so I'd like to see things thrown back in their faces.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 17

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know who was the first politician to publish their tax returns, but he/she was an idiot. Tax returns are not relevant to a person's qualifications for the job, they only provide fodder for more negative campaigning.

Chas.
Idiot is not an uncommon characteristic among politicians.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”