CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

Post by fickman »

VMI77 wrote:
fickman wrote:WFAA keeps labeling it an "anti-Islam" event, not a free speech event.

I saw a CNN interview where the anchor was clearly insinuating that the free speechers "asked for it and had it coming".

Sad. Very sad.

I think I was in 7th grade when I saw the stupidity of guys goaded into a fight because the other guy "was talking about my mom." The fight always ended up in a suspension and sometimes in a ticket from the campus officer. I asked a few of them, "Does he even know your mom?" "No." "Then why do you care what he says?"

It seems pretty ignorant and immature to give somebody else so much power that their words unilaterally compel your actions. Counterintuitively, it puts you at their mercy, not them at yours.

The proper response is to have ten of these events next week, 100 the week after that, and 1,000 the week after that.
That's what you get for watching CNN. Who does that?

Hahaha, well, not me. I kicked all cable/satellite to the curb years ago. I do have a bad habit of visiting their website, but I found this specific interview from a Facebook link to a conservative website that was calling out the CNN anchor and included the clips as a point of disgust.
Native Texian

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

I was having fun flipping channels last night catching the biases that the 24 hour news channels were pimping:

Fox News: 'Murica!!
MSNBC: Free speech is good but don't pick on Muslims
CNN: After an initial issue with not finding Texas, they decided that everyone at the event deserved it.

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

G.A. Heath wrote:
philip964 wrote:Michael Berry was saying on the radio that the two terrorists were armed with AK47s and had body armor. The brave police officer took them down with his service revolver per Michael. He was promoting the officer as a hero.

I hope the officer gets the recognition he deserves. We here in Texas are all very proud of what he did. He is a true hero.

I'm sure for a second, we all wish we could have helped him. :txflag:
No surprise that a revolver shooter could pull that off since revolver shooters tend to be a bit more sparing with their ammo than autoloader folks... :smilelol5:

Sorry, he could have said service pistol. I'm driving, I'm getting old. It's radio, not something I can reread.

Wager on an invite to the WH?

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:TAM noted: Not only that, but I just saw an Garland PD presser about an hour ago, and the officer said that they were going to rethink allowing these kinds of events in the future.

Rethink = Cave In to the their non-American demands for what they might do?

Oh yeah, cave in while the radicals chortle at our weak kneed response to their evil.

Appeasement doesn't work...

Their latest attempt at squelching free speech got two of them smoked!

As to the Garland PD presser (I'm unfamiliar with the word "presser, I guess it's the same as a PR type/spokesman) stating they may rethink allowing these kinds of events. (I'd love to read a definition of "these kind of events"

As I don't know Garland city ordinances, I guess they have that power, but they may also simply assume it if no one complains.

Anyone know if they can legally disallow "these kinds of events"?
Abraham, for the record, I agree with you. I was just the messenger.

Can they legally disallow certain kinds of events? Sure they can. It's not the cops who will disallow it, it will be the owner of the venue, acting on suggestions from the police and other authorities, who will disallow it. They can pretty much decide to refuse any more rentals for events that have anything to do for or against any religious or spiritual matters, for any purpose whatsoever. As long as they exclude all religions including atheism equally, I don't see that the Constitution OR the law would prevent it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Lol, not a chance. Its open season on LEO out there, with not a shred of support from the guy in charge of this country.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txglock21 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Abraham wrote:TAM noted: Not only that, but I just saw an Garland PD presser about an hour ago, and the officer said that they were going to rethink allowing these kinds of events in the future.

Oh yeah, cave in while the radicals chortle at our weak kneed response to their evil.

As to the Garland PD presser (I'm unfamiliar with the word "presser, I guess it's the same as a PR type/spokesman) stating they may rethink allowing these kinds of events. (I'd love to read a definition of "these kind of events"

As I don't know Garland city ordinances, I guess they have that power, but they may also simply assume it if no one complains.

Can they legally disallow certain kinds of events? Sure they can. It's not the cops who will disallow it, it will be the owner of the venue, acting on suggestions from the police and other authorities, who will disallow it. They can pretty much decide to refuse any more rentals for events that have anything to do for or against any religious or spiritual matters, for any purpose whatsoever. As long as they exclude all religions including atheism equally, I don't see that the Constitution OR the law would prevent it.
A spokesman for GISD (owners of the venue) was interviewed yesterday and said because it was built with bond monies, local, state and federal, that they could not pick and choose who they rent to or not. But, he also said they are going to meet with the attorney to see if they could find a "loophole" for in the future. My biggest issue is the center in posted 30.06, but that is a whole other rabbit hole I'm not going down. :coolgleamA:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

if the best ISIS could get was two meatheads from arizona I feel pretty safe.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 5-07-17-22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ISIS takes credit for the attack.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 12

Post by RoyGBiv »

Taypo wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Taypo wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
philip964 wrote:Michael Berry was saying on the radio that the two terrorists were armed with AK47s and had body armor. The brave police officer took them down with his service revolver per Michael. He was promoting the officer as a hero.

I hope the officer gets the recognition he deserves. We here in Texas are all very proud of what he did. He is a true hero.

No surprise that a revolver shooter could pull that off since revolver shooters tend to be a bit more sparing with their ammo than autoloader folks... :smilelol5:
Its my understanding that he wasn't a revolver guy, he was a .45 guy. Granted, it was a Glock but nobody's perfect :clapping:
My point is that Michael Berry was saying the weapon used was a "service revolver"
My point is that several other sources are indicating otherwise
Glock 21.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... post318492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd have to take my word vouching for the guy making the claim in that link.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

fickman wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
fickman wrote:WFAA keeps labeling it an "anti-Islam" event, not a free speech event.

I saw a CNN interview where the anchor was clearly insinuating that the free speechers "asked for it and had it coming".

Sad. Very sad.

I think I was in 7th grade when I saw the stupidity of guys goaded into a fight because the other guy "was talking about my mom." The fight always ended up in a suspension and sometimes in a ticket from the campus officer. I asked a few of them, "Does he even know your mom?" "No." "Then why do you care what he says?"

It seems pretty ignorant and immature to give somebody else so much power that their words unilaterally compel your actions. Counterintuitively, it puts you at their mercy, not them at yours.

The proper response is to have ten of these events next week, 100 the week after that, and 1,000 the week after that.
That's what you get for watching CNN. Who does that?

Hahaha, well, not me. I kicked all cable/satellite to the curb years ago. I do have a bad habit of visiting their website, but I found this specific interview from a Facebook link to a conservative website that was calling out the CNN anchor and included the clips as a point of disgust.
I'm sometimes confronted with it at places like doctor office waiting rooms.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Taypo wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Taypo wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Its my understanding that he wasn't a revolver guy, he was a .45 guy. Granted, it was a Glock but nobody's perfect :clapping:
My point is that Michael Berry was saying the weapon used was a "service revolver"
My point is that several other sources are indicating otherwise
Glock 21.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... post318492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd have to take my word vouching for the guy making the claim in that link.
I love my Glock 21. 14 rounds of .45 ACP.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txglock21 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

A spokesman for GISD (owners of the venue) was interviewed yesterday and said because it was built with bond monies, local, state and federal, that they could not pick and choose who they rent to or not. But, he also said they are going to meet with the attorney to see if they could find a "loophole" for in the future. My biggest issue is the center in posted 30.06, but that is a whole other rabbit hole I'm not going down. :coolgleamA:
A good and honest attorney will tell them that content-based restrictions on speech violate the First Amendment and they cannot prevent renting to the group again.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

philip964 wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 5-07-17-22

That's like the French taking credit for Waterloo!

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
philip964 wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 5-07-17-22

That's like the French taking credit for Waterloo!

Chas.

I thought "credit" was given for something that worked out as planned. I doubt the terrorist thugs thought they would get dropped before inflicting any real carnage.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

"We take credit for two of our guys getting beat down before they killed even one single infidel."

"Cower in fear infidels... we will do this more and more... until we run out of idiots."

Any hope that this will push OC / HB308 through the inter-chamber squabling going on in the TXLeg?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”