San Jose Ca. To tax gun owners

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

San Jose Ca. To tax gun owners

Post by gtolbert09 »

Gun owners in San Jose, California, will soon face a yearly tax and be required to carry additional insurance after their city council voted unanimously Tuesday evening to impose the new measures.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/s ... compliance
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: San Jose Ca. To tax gun owners

Post by TxRVer »

Instead of taxing gun owners, they should tax people with mental health issues. It makes just as much sense.
Charlie

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Taxing a right? The stupidity of liberals knows no boundaries. This is akin to taxing the right to vote, AKA poll tax, which was found unconstitutional.
Last edited by Lynyrd on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Lynyrd wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:04 am Taxing a right? The stupidity of liberals knows no boundaries. This is akin to taking the right to vote, AKA poll tax, which was found unconstitutional.
Because of that I would expect to see lawsuits filed against San Jose over this.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

So my grandfather leaves me several firearms when he passed away. How is the city going to find that I own them? How is the city going to find firearms that people brought with them if they recently moved to San Jose? This doesn't sound like some put much thought into this concept. I really don't see much traction on this new law.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Deitz83 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:14 am So my grandfather leaves me several firearms when he passed away. How is the city going to find that I own them? How is the city going to find firearms that people brought with them if they recently moved to San Jose? This doesn't sound like some put much thought into this concept. I really don't see much traction on this new law.
Bingo.

Not to mention that it would seem to be completely unconstitutional.

These people are remarkable in their stupidity.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Next up "publishing" tax for any written articles/comments and required murder insurance for murderers.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Deitz83 wrote
So my grandfather leaves me several firearms when he passed away. How is the city going to find that I own them? How is the city going to find firearms that people brought with them if they recently moved to San Jose? This doesn't sound like some put much thought into this concept. I really don't see much traction on this new law.
That is not a bug, but a feature.
The first thing the city will do is force you to report all of the firearms that you own. Its a tax, see. And the SCOTUS has already said the government can tax you. They can also force you to purchase insurance - see Obamacare. Its a tax.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Democrats are really reverting to their old ways here. Doing everything they can to ensure that only the wealthy are able to exercise their civil rights.

Since we are taxing the exercise of rights now, how long until we see a tax on voting? That should be just as constitutional as a tax on the exercise of any other right.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

What is this insurance? And is this a new line for insurance carriers? I'm pretty sure most insurance doesn't cover intentional criminal acts or if it's regular general liability that comes with homeowners' or renters' insurance, then it already covers accidental injuries, regardless of whether a firearm is involved.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

My coworker lives in San Jose. He retired from the sheriff's office several years ago. I will speak to him about this. He also, belongs to a local gun club. I would like too hear what members are saying.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:53 pm What is this insurance? And is this a new line for insurance carriers? I'm pretty sure most insurance doesn't cover intentional criminal acts or if it's regular general liability that comes with homeowners' or renters' insurance, then it already covers accidental injuries, regardless of whether a firearm is involved.

Maybe that's the trick. The municipality "requires" firearms owners to carry insurance which doesn't actually exist. The state does not, so there's no way to actually enforce the law, except if someone has to use their firearm for truly justifiable self-defense (which is actually still legal in California, at least technically), then even if the city can't "get" that person in an actual criminal trial, the city fines the person for violating an ordinance. Just another dirty, underhanded method to chill firearms ownership and the use of firearms in self-defense.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Again, the government punishes the law abiding. Criminals are not going to register their guns or pay a tax on them.
Charlie

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I foresee a lot of boating accidents in San Jose :biggrinjester:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RPBrown wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:10 am I foresee a lot of boating accidents in San Jose :biggrinjester:
yep and a whole lot not registering IAW with a local city ordinance that is above state requirements
but still CRAZY as a bag of rats trapped in a water barrel
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”