Gun Crimes Don't Count

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Gun Crimes Don't Count

Post by chasfm11 »

At least that is my interpretation of the ruling from the Supreme Court
https://www.theepochtimes.com/unanimous ... 2023-06-19

The person involved was dealing drugs and the group murdered a rival gang drug dealer. We certainly want such a pillar of society to be back on the streets as soon as possible so we don't need "adder"sentencing on concurrent will do the job of teaching the offender not to do that again.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Chemist45

Re: Gun Crimes Don't Count

Post by Chemist45 »

If you're a democrat.
Goes double if your last name is Biden.

srothstein

Re: Gun Crimes Don't Count

Post by srothstein »

The SCOTUS ruled correctly according to the law in this case, as they should do. The problem is Congress can't write coherent laws. There is a section of the code that says that for the following list of crimes, you get an extra sentence that must be run consecutively instead of concurrently with any other crimes you are convicted of. Several years later Congress wanted to add more crimes to the list of federal crime for using guns in other crimes. But instead of just adding the crimes to the first list and lengthening it, they added another whole section of code listing these crimes. This time they did not specify how the sentences should be run (concurrently or consecutively). Someone with a very good lawyer (props to the lawyer) realized this and appealed when the judge sentenced them to be run consecutively and referred to the first list.

The whole concept of add-on crimes like this makes no sense to me. If I use a knife to commit an armed robbery, am I somehow less dangerous than if I threatened them with a gun? But this way the feds get to take a prisoner instead of letting the states deal with him. It just seems wrong to me.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”