Fear of crime is motivating factor behind 49 consecutive months of rising gun sales, experts say

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Fear of crime is motivating factor behind 49 consecutive months of rising gun sales, experts say

Post by Paladin »

U.S. gun sales have topped one million for 49 consecutive months
The centrist Pew Research Center's most recent public opinion polling from gun owners found that "72% of U.S. gun owners say protection is a major reason they own a gun."

The Pew report adds that concerns about personal protection "far outweigh" any other reason for owning a firearm, including use for hunting or sport shooting.
According to Newsweek, a 2022 poll “of 2,000 nationally representative Americans analyzed how they feel about their personal safety and found that 52 percent are feeling on edge every day.”
The effect of crime, rioting, and government oppression is real. Soros DA crimewave and Democrat encouraged/unpunished rioting are real.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JRG

Re: Fear of crime is motivating factor behind 49 consecutive months of rising gun sales, experts say

Post by JRG »

Totally agree. Even though I reside in a "safe" area, I don't EVER wonder if I should carry my pistol every time I leave the house. It's automatic.

Even though I have plenty of guns, I bought another one a couple of months ago. The wife looks at me as if I am crazy, but in this day and time, I am my own and our own protection.

Joe

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Fear of crime is motivating factor behind 49 consecutive months of rising gun sales, experts say

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Too many guns? Heck, I don't consider myself to be an overstocked pistolero, but I have 7 handguns.

Who has just one pair of shoes? :--)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

XDgal

Post by XDgal »

I think they are trying to make it sound like there really is no crime to be afraid of in that title. It's not fear of crime, it should say "High crime rate due to democrat policies is motivating factor behind 49 months of rising gun sales."
XDgal

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Not surprising:

U.S. DEPT OF JUSTICE SAID in 1992:
Gun Ownership Provides Effective Self-Defense

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-libra ... -p-142-149
Annotation
Many more criminals are killed or wounded each year by armed citizens than by the police; this proves that owning a gun is possibly the most effective way to protect oneself from crime.
Abstract
Protection of self, of one's loved ones, of one's home and community is the root of the American tradition of gun ownership. It is a concept cherished from the beginning of time and preserved most democratically within the English common law heritage, in which the defense of home, community, and kingdom rested upon an armed and ready populace.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The "experts" say it's fear of crime, because to say the real reasons is not allowed. (It's tyrannical, liberty crushing policies and laws, from homeowner associations, from cities, counties, states and federal governments)

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

NotRPB wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:31 am Not surprising:

U.S. DEPT OF JUSTICE SAID in 1992:
Gun Ownership Provides Effective Self-Defense

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-libra ... -p-142-149
Annotation
Many more criminals are killed or wounded each year by armed citizens than by the police; this proves that owning a gun is possibly the most effective way to protect oneself from crime.
Abstract
Protection of self, of one's loved ones, of one's home and community is the root of the American tradition of gun ownership. It is a concept cherished from the beginning of time and preserved most democratically within the English common law heritage, in which the defense of home, community, and kingdom rested upon an armed and ready populace.
Wow! That sounds exactly like the current stance of the DOJ and the rest of the executive branch. Exactly!
Not. :banghead: Only 30 years ago. How quickly and far we've fallen.

"We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing."
—Gore Vidal
Last edited by Rafe on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I suspect another factor may be the return to something approaching reasonable prices for ammo and increased availability. Buying a gun you can't afford to feed is a lot less fun than buying one you can actually shoot. (Why all my steel challenge shooting the past 3 years has been done with .22 rim fires) :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

If my LTC and Intro To Pistol Shooting classes are any indication, the number of women and ethnic minorities purchasing guns and learning to shoot and carry them is also increasing significantly.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”