Gun Owners Not Welcome on Obama's White House Team?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Owners Not Welcome on Obama's White House Team?

Post by KD5NRH »

IMO, Obama and Biden should be required to publish full answers to this questionnaire for review by their employers.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

*YAWN*
Byron Dickens

boomerang
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boomerang »

nitrogen wrote:
boomerang wrote:Are you or anyone in your family homosexual? Do they have HIV?
Again, medical records. HIV status is arguably protected under the Americans with Disabilities act. It's also not illegal to be a homosexual anymore, and being a homosexual doesn't require registration in any state.
[*]Are you or any member of your immediate family Muslim? If so, provide complete registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and with whom they worship and whether they have been involved in any terrorist act in the United States or abroad.
Again, religious affiliation is specifically protected under the 1st amendment, and federal law. Registration of Muslims would violate the 1st amendment. You'd be better off asking of any family members are members of terrorist groups, i.e. Hamas.[/list]
That's kind of the point isn't it? The supreme law of the land says our right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. If registering Muslims violates the 1st amendment then registering guns violates the 2nd amendment. Same thing with people who have abortions or sex. Especially since I can't find ANYTHING in the Constitution that mentions abortion or homosexuality.

nitrogen wrote:
boomerang wrote:I think the Left's reaction to any of those questions would make our discussion here seem tame by comparison.
And rightly so, as most of those questions, unlike the gun question, violate the law, as well as common decency.
I can't find anything in the Constitution that allows laws to protect gay rights but not gun rights. Maybe my google-fu is weak today. Help me out.

Asking someone how they exercise their 1st amendment rights violates common decency the same amount as asking someone how they exercise their 2nd amendment rights. If one is beyond the pale then so is the other. But I don't see how that's relevant unless you're saying Karl Rove has more class in his pinkie finger than Obama has in his entire administration.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nitrogen »

You're assuming that merely asking about gun posession/use in a high profile job, like a cabinet position somehow infringes someone's right to bear arms. Please explain how asking the question infringes on that right?

I still say that this is a free country, and if you don't like the questions asked of you for this job, you don't have to take it; just like any other citizen is free to do so.

Also, I don't see anywhere where it's assumed that a question answered any specific way means you don't get the job. One of my coworkers has a felony DUI, and we still hired him, but we asked him about it on the job form.

Here is the entire questionnaire. Check it out.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

boomerang
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boomerang »

nitrogen wrote:You're assuming that merely asking about gun posession/use in a high profile job, like a cabinet position somehow infringes someone's right to bear arms. Please explain how asking the question infringes on that right?
It infringes upon the right to keep and bear arms exactly the same way asking about religion prohibits the free exercise thereof. It may be small. It may be large. It may be not at all. Either it's constitutional to ask about both or the constitution prohibits both lines of questioning.
nitrogen wrote:I still say that this is a free country, and if you don't like the questions asked of you for this job, you don't have to take it; just like any other citizen is free to do so.
I'll agree with you when private companies are allowed to ask questions during the hiring process about religion, sexual orientation, number of children, number of spouses, preexisting medical conditions, etc.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nitrogen »

t infringes upon the right to keep and bear arms exactly the same way asking about religion prohibits the free exercise thereof. It may be small. It may be large. It may be not at all. Either it's constitutional to ask about both or the constitution prohibits both lines of questioning.
Not according to current federal law, it doesn't. Companies ask this question of job applicants today; we've had threads about it, and will continue to do so until the EEO laws are changed. I don't see this happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

I'm not saying it's morally right, but it's legally right, like many other things.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

I wonder if Joe Biden had to fill out a "questionnaire", since he owns two shotguns. :???:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”