Sales of rifles/shotguns in other states to Texas residents?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dubya
Posts in topic: 1

Sales of rifles/shotguns in other states to Texas residents?

Post by dubya »

I don't understand why I keep getting notes from the NRA in the State Roundup in their emails saying we cannont purchase rifles and shotguns in 45 other states. Don't we do this daily and have them transferred in via a FFL holder? I am guessing this applies to face to face transactions? I don't plan on heading out to by a rifle (even though I'd like to go to the CMP store in Anniston Alabama) but I just wonder what the deal is. (I searched but did not find this).
Thanks,
JW
TEXAS: Pro-Gun Bill Introduced in the Lone Star State! The pre-filing of bills for the 2009 legislative session has begun. State Representative Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) has introduced House Bill 267, which would allow Texans to purchase rifles and shotgun in non-contiguous states. Currently, federal law allows the interstate sales of such firearms, but a conflicting Texas law only allows residents to buy long guns in the neighboring states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. This state law has prevented the FBI and BATFE from approving sales of rifles and shotguns in 45 other states to Texas residents. Please contact your state lawmakers and respectfully urge them to support HB 267 to bring Texas law into line with federal law. Contact information for returning State Senators and Representatives can be found at http://www.house.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

EDIT. LOOKS LIKE I FOUND THIS IN THE 2009 LEGISLATIVE SECTION OF THE FORUM. NEVERMIND. ;-)
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

amber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sales of rifles/shotguns in other states to Texas residents?

Post by amber »

dubya wrote:I don't understand why I keep getting notes from the NRA in the State Roundup in their emails saying we cannont purchase rifles and shotguns in 45 other states. Don't we do this daily and have them transferred in via a FFL holder?
If you get the gun from a dealer in Texas then you bought the gun in Texas. It doesn't matter where the gun was before the dealer took possession and transferred it to you. The question is why Texas residents can't purchase guns anywhere in the country especially now that dealers in every state have to do a NATIONAL background check.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”