SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

Post by Dadtodabone »

cyphertext wrote:
TVegas wrote:A firearms attorney and Aggie in communication with the administration told me that the school plans on renting gunsafes to CHL holders who live in dorms. Students will be able to order their gunsafes at the same time they order their mini-fridges. :lol:

I'm sad that I graduated before I had the opportunity to take advantage of campus carry, but I'm proud to see that my alma mater has responded in very reasonable ways so far.
How many students would that really affect? First, most students who live in the dorms are not old enough to qualify for a CHL... and second, those who are old enough typically do not live in the dorms. :headscratch
Still about 650-700 'butts and zips in Corp dorms. Some of the 'butts and most of the zips would qualify age wise.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

Dadtodabone wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
TVegas wrote:A firearms attorney and Aggie in communication with the administration told me that the school plans on renting gunsafes to CHL holders who live in dorms. Students will be able to order their gunsafes at the same time they order their mini-fridges. :lol:

I'm sad that I graduated before I had the opportunity to take advantage of campus carry, but I'm proud to see that my alma mater has responded in very reasonable ways so far.
How many students would that really affect? First, most students who live in the dorms are not old enough to qualify for a CHL... and second, those who are old enough typically do not live in the dorms. :headscratch
Still about 650-700 'butts and zips in Corp dorms. Some of the 'butts and most of the zips would qualify age wise.
Well, those guys might as well get prepared to not be able to keep firearms in their dorms, if they continue on with military service.

bigity

Post by bigity »

They might get lucky and sent to a base that rapidly moves non-pipeliners off base, to free up dorm space for pipeline students. I was off base by the time I was E-2.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

bigity wrote:They might get lucky and sent to a base that rapidly moves non-pipeliners off base, to free up dorm space for pipeline students. I was off base by the time I was E-2.
I hope with the benefit of their degree they might become officers hence be able to live off base in most cases. Good luck carrying on base though.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bigity

Post by bigity »

The dorms reference made me assume we were talking about enlisted folks. Officers live in 'residences' :D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

bigity wrote:The dorms reference made me assume we were talking about enlisted folks. Officers live in 'residences' :D
I was assuming that they were talking about the Corps cadets at A&M, the bulk of whom are likely ROTC so hopefully get to be officers after they get their degrees, but have to live in "dorms" in the meantime...or barracks, or whatever the Aggies call 'em. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TVegas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TVegas »

ScottDLS wrote:
bigity wrote:The dorms reference made me assume we were talking about enlisted folks. Officers live in 'residences' :D
I was assuming that they were talking about the Corps cadets at A&M, the bulk of whom are likely ROTC so hopefully get to be officers after they get their degrees, but have to live in "dorms" in the meantime...or barracks, or whatever the Aggies call 'em. :shock:
Haha they're called dorms, but as a collective they're called the Quad.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 20

Post by J.R.@A&M »

First news in a while, and still waiting (until April, they say). http://www.kagstv.com/News/KAGSNews/ID/ ... y-in-April

To my knowledge the only A&M System entities that have drafted rules are the AgriLife Extension and Research Agencies -- none of the schools (College Station, Laredo, Kingsville, Commerce, Canyon, etc.)
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

J.R.@A&M wrote:...
To my knowledge the only A&M System entities that have drafted rules are the AgriLife Extension and Research Agencies -- none of the schools (College Station, Laredo, Kingsville, Commerce, Canyon, etc.)
So if they don't do anything, the concealed carry is legal everywhere on campus, no? Too much to hope for, I suppose.

Still, it would become a Texas Legend if TAMU decided to go with only four rules starting with "All guns are always loaded."
Last edited by ELB on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 20

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ELB wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:...
So if they don't do anything, the concealed carry is legal everywhere on campus, no? Too much to hope for, I suppose.
Sort of like letting a bill become law by executive inaction (not vetoing or signing it). SB11 411.2031.d-1 says the university ***may*** establish reasonable rules bla bla bla, but it doesn't say "must establish". However, subsections d-2 and d-4 imply that something must be submitted to the Board of Regents and to the Legislature, respectively. If there were no additional rules, then wouldn't that just leave unfettered 4.11.2031.b (no prohibition) and .c (shall make no rules prohibiting).
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

SRO1911 wrote:Any information regarding TEEX courses?
I've been to more than a few on the last couple years - some on Aggie property, some elsewhere.
I'm just guessing here, but I would assume it will probably depend on where the classes are held. Many classes are held at city owned facilities and I would be willing to bet that TEEX can't over ride that part of the law. Now classes held on a college campus or TEEX facility, your guess is as good as mine. I just took a class at the TEEX facility in Mesquite a few weeks ago and left mine (secured) in my vehicle. No signs posted, but didn't want to hassle with if it was actually considered "a college campus" or whatever.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

SRO1911 wrote:What I'm planning as well. I start a week long class at the fire field this coming Sunday. . .
Not looking forward to a week 'naked'.
Lockbox in the truck will be used heavily - I'm just wondering what they might say to an empty holster, as it would be easier to just leave it on.
:biggrinjester:
Might get exciting.
If you're in one of the fire houses, I suggest you keep the holster concealed under your bunker gear rather than open carry...er open holster, especially if it is kydex. :mrgreen:

Have fun, I have been there many times, great training place. One of my guys will be there with you some place.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”