SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 20

Re: SB11 Implementation at A&M College Station

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The survey itself is brief and fairly straightforward (see an inactive pdf of them https://tamu.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php? ... RTdgMYA8lf ). I suppose if anybody outside the university wanted to give their feedback, they could email their responses to the task force at campuscarry@tamu.edu .
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Post by casp625 »

Surprisingly, the information found at http://www.tamu.edu/statements/campus-carry.html is pretty accurate and doesn't seem biased. :thumbs2:

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I have more encouraging signs in the form of some draft rules by two institutions of higher learning within the Texas A&M University System (AgriLife Research and AgriLife Extension). These agencies are separate from Texas A&M University (i.e., they have separate state budgets and separate CEOs). Anyway, the draft rules for these agencies look good -- unfettered licensed concealed carry on agency property (buildings and vehicles -- no restrictions on laboratories, etc). Since I drive to and visit these facilities, these rules are a specific benefit to me. But I hope they are indications of the how administration throughout the System is viewing implementation of SB11.

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

J.R.@A&M wrote:I have more encouraging signs in the form of some draft rules by two institutions of higher learning within the Texas A&M University System (AgriLife Research and AgriLife Extension). ...etc.
Good to hear!
USAF 1982-2005

b322da

Post by b322da »

A&M President Michael Young speaks to University House Staff Council on Tuesday:

"A staff member in the audience raised his concerns on the implementation of campus carry legislation and asked what is being done to avoid an adversarial climate on campus.

Starting in fall 2016, students 21 years or older with concealed carry licenses will be permitted to carry concealed firearms into buildings on campus. Young pointed out that concealed carry is permitted in some areas of campus and officials do not know how many metal detectors are located outside of classrooms.

He said the rules as they stand combined with the fact that mass shootings are typically not at the hands of concealed carry permit holders, but rather individuals with mental health issues, makes this topic a psychological and political issue instead of a safety issue.

“What we would like to end up with is limitations that are as consistent with our optimal teaching environment as we possibly can,” Young said. “I think that has to be the goal, and I think we have to do that in the context of remembering we are Aggies who are respectful of each other, that Aggies on one side of this debate should not want to make Aggies on the other side uncomfortable.”

More, http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/in-hou ... 08b13.html

Jim

TVegas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TVegas »

b322da wrote:Starting in fall 2016, students 21 years or older with concealed carry licenses will be permitted to carry concealed firearms into buildings on campus. Young pointed out that concealed carry is permitted in some areas of campus and officials do not know how many metal detectors are located outside of classrooms.
:headscratch

What metal detectors outside of classrooms? There aren't even metal detectors at the gates of Kyle Field.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

I like this comment of his.
He said the rules as they stand combined with the fact that mass shootings are typically not at the hands of concealed carry permit holders, but rather individuals with mental health issues, makes this topic a psychological and political issue instead of a safety issue.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I'm baffled by the "metal detectors" too; I've been around the campus at College Station a bit, and never saw any. ?? And I could quibble with the nonsense about being "comfortable", but overall I like his statement about concealed carry. I read it as telling the staff "look, concealed carry is not a problem, it's really in your head, deal with it" in polite university speak. At least hope that's what he meant.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Nervous about CCW on campus....? Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "Trigger Warning".... "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ELB wrote:I'm baffled by the "metal detectors" too; I've been around the campus at College Station a bit, and never saw any. ?? And I could quibble with the nonsense about being "comfortable", but overall I like his statement about concealed carry. I read it as telling the staff "look, concealed carry is not a problem, it's really in your head, deal with it" in polite university speak. At least hope that's what he meant.
The only metal detectors I have ever seen on the A&M campus are the ones at Easterwood Airport (which technically is a campus building, I think).

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
ELB wrote:I'm baffled by the "metal detectors" too; I've been around the campus at College Station a bit, and never saw any. ?? And I could quibble with the nonsense about being "comfortable", but overall I like his statement about concealed carry. I read it as telling the staff "look, concealed carry is not a problem, it's really in your head, deal with it" in polite university speak. At least hope that's what he meant.
The only metal detectors I have ever seen on the A&M campus are the ones at Easterwood Airport (which technically is a campus building, I think).
It is, but it's leased and operated by a separate airfield company. Strictest TSA agents I've ever seen.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I just remembered one other place on the College Station campus that has metal detectors: the George H.W. Bush museum. A couple years ago after the TEEX annual Municipal Fire School at Brayton Field, I stopped by the museum. I noticed some security guards at the door with a metal detector, so I shed a pointy object or two I had my pockets and went in. Soon as they saw my (VFD) uniform, they smiled and waved me by without going thru the "gauntlet." ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

ELB wrote:I just remembered one other place on the College Station campus that has metal detectors: the George H.W. Bush museum. A couple years ago after the TEEX annual Municipal Fire School at Brayton Field, I stopped by the museum. I noticed some security guards at the door with a metal detector, so I shed a pointy object or two I had my pockets and went in. Soon as they saw my (VFD) uniform, they smiled and waved me by without going thru the "gauntlet." ;-)
Oh yeah! I almost forgot that I had my knife on me when I was walking in, so I asked if they didn't allow them (being federal property and all). I was very surprised when the officer said it was fine and let me keep it on me.

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

J.R.@A&M wrote:I have more encouraging signs in the form of some draft rules by two institutions of higher learning within the Texas A&M University System (AgriLife Research and AgriLife Extension). These agencies are separate from Texas A&M University (i.e., they have separate state budgets and separate CEOs). Anyway, the draft rules for these agencies look good -- unfettered licensed concealed carry on agency property (buildings and vehicles -- no restrictions on laboratories, etc). Since I drive to and visit these facilities, these rules are a specific benefit to me. But I hope they are indications of the how administration throughout the System is viewing implementation of SB11.
One more bit of information that I previously missed. The memo that came with the draft rules included this:

Prior to preparing these draft rules, representatives from AgriLife met with an A&M System attorney and the A&M police chief. A few points from this meeting for you to consider:

· Concealed handguns are already legally carried elsewhere in public; this law will extend where they can be legally carried.

· To completely restrict concealed weapons at an off-campus AgriLife Research and Extension facility or activity will require strong justification and it will have to be something greater than simply trying to avoid someone getting hurt.

The second bullet looks like a favorable reading of the law's intent on the part of A&M administration.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

mojo84 wrote:I like this comment of his.
:iagree:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”