Gun Laws: What Should We Get In Return

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Gun Laws: What Should We Get In Return

Post by Solaris »

Off shoot from other threads.

I see a lot of folks on this forum OK with more gun control. Are we OK with more gun freedom? How about instead of spending so much time talking about what gun control we are OK with, we talk about what gun freedom we are OK with! Here is a compromise that directly benefits Texas CHL'ers.

If they want to keep bad guys from getting guns by putting preventing watchlist folks from buying guns, how about they allow good guys to carry guns in all 50 states?

What say you? What should we get in return for for giving them what they want?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Laws: What Should We Get In Return

Post by Vol Texan »

Solaris wrote:Off shoot from other threads.

I see a lot of folks on this forum OK with more gun control. Are we OK with more gun freedom? How about instead of spending so much time talking about what gun control we are OK with, we talk about what gun freedom we are OK with! Here is a compromise that directly benefits Texas CHL'ers.

If they want to keep bad guys from getting guns by putting preventing watchlist folks from buying guns, how about they allow good guys to carry guns in all 50 states?

Forgive me for no having read every other thread, and every other argument...but can you show me where forum members are in favor of more gun control?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

We do not need any more laws.

Murder is already a crime.

The basic tenet of gun control is that everyone will obey the laws which is a fallacy.

No more laws. No more restrictions. I will give up nothing else. I am responsible for my security.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

anygunanywhere wrote:We do not need any more laws.

The basic tenet of gun control is that everyone will obey the laws which is a fallacy.

No more laws. No more restrictions. I will give up nothing else. I am responsible for my security.
:iagree:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Yes but that is not today's reality.

Today's reality is the GOP caved to the Democratic filibuster, and have promised them votes on watchlists and universal background checks. We got nothing in return.

What should we get in return?

Washington JUN 16 2016, 7:52 AM ET - Senate Democrats ended a nearly 15-hour filibuster early Thursday after Republican Party leaders reportedly agreed to allow votes on two proposed gun control measures.

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said that a compromise had been reached. Votes would be held on whether to ban people on the government's terrorist watch list from obtaining gun licenses and whether to expand background checks to gun shows and internet sales, he added.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

How about reduced tax stamp costs? Quicker stamp approvals. Remove silly NFA statutes. If we have to prove we are the good guys, then at least trust us to be good guys and take this rope off our necks.
Last edited by FastCarry on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Solaris wrote:

Yes but that is not today's reality.

Today's reality is the GOP caved to the Democratic filibuster, and have promised them votes on watchlists and universal background checks. We got nothing in return.

What should we get in return?

Washington JUN 16 2016, 7:52 AM ET - Senate Democrats ended a nearly 15-hour filibuster early Thursday after Republican Party leaders reportedly agreed to allow votes on two proposed gun control measures.

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said that a compromise had been reached. Votes would be held on whether to ban people on the government's terrorist watch list from obtaining gun licenses and whether to expand background checks to gun shows and internet sales, he added.
A senate vote does not mean we will be passing new laws, but I'll play along.

Background checks are fine. Make it a requirement that a private seller either sees a LTC / CWP / CHL / whatever that state calls it. If the person does not have a license, then have a site where I, as a private seller can enter a DL # and get an instantaneous yes or no. Better yet, include a restriction on your drivers license if you cannot buy a gun, then a seller can just look at the DL. That would accomplish the stated goal / address the stated concern of the liberals.

No registration. No databases of gun sales. No records kept or required at all. No requirement to use a FFL for a private sale.

In exchange? Since we are messing with gun transfer laws, let's start with no requirement to go through an FFL for interstate transfers. Constitutional carry in all states and cities would also be nice. No additional limitations on any weapon that can legally be owned by a law enforcement agency since we know everyone has passed a background check.

Topic author
Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Vol Texan wrote: Forgive me for no having read every other thread, and every other argument...but can you show me where forum members are in favor of more gun control?
See post above, quoted below.
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Background checks are fine. Make it a requirement that a private seller either sees a LTC / CWP / CHL / whatever that state calls it. If the person does not have a license, then have a site where I, as a private seller can enter a DL # and get an instantaneous yes or no. Better yet, include a restriction on your drivers license if you cannot buy a gun, then a seller can just look at the DL. That would accomplish the stated goal / address the stated concern of the liberals

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Vol Texan wrote:
Solaris wrote:Off shoot from other threads.

Forgive me for no having read every other thread, and every other argument...but can you show me where forum members are in favor of more gun control?
Exactly. That's why this thread is locked.

Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”