And people wonder why I carry?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

And people wonder why I carry?

Post by Texsquatch »

http://kxan.com/2016/10/17/tourist-atta ... ue-bridge/

This could have gone all kinds of wrong. This guy is lucky to get away and even luckier his daughter wasn't harmed.
At the least he should have been on the line with 911 when he realized she was after them. I know it's easy to be a critic when you are not in the heat of the moment, but this proves crazy can be stronger than a grown man, so be prepared.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: And people wonder why I carry?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

My wife used to think it was odd that I would carry my gun even if we were simply going out to a McDonalds drive through or something simple like that.
No longer does she think it's odd.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Thanks for posting. I must have missed this on the local news.

With winter coming up, anticipate an increase in the homeless population. Many tend to migrate south for the winter months, then gradually back north when the climate eases up.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Yikes, that is awful to hear, glad the guy and is daughter came out physically unhurt, as far as I can tell. He could do with a course managing unwanted contacts that I've talked about before in other threads, the one like SouthNarc and others offer.

But I have to admit, I got a laugh out of the topmost (at least when I was reading it) comment to the story:
JP • 15 hours ago

"She was talking a bunch of gibberish. You couldn’t understand her"

Was this woman on our city council by any chance?

18 △ ▽ • Reply • Share ›
Last edited by ELB on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

ELB wrote:Yikes, that is awful to hear, glad the guy and is daughter came out physically unhurt, as far as I can tell. He could do with a course managing unwanted contacts that I've talked about before in other threads, the one like SouthNarc and others offer.

But I have to admit, I got a laugh out of the topmost comment to the story, at least when I was reading it:
JP • 15 hours ago

"She was talking a bunch of gibberish. You couldn’t understand her"

Was this woman on our city council by any chance?

18 △ ▽ • Reply • Share ›
:smilelol5:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

it was in Austin, so she was probably triggered by his male white privilege

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I've been wondering what the 3 professors who sued about campus carry have been up to. Now they're terrorizing tourists! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

MJR

Post by MJR »

In the above story what could be done if you were to carry?
Not sure if pulling a weapon is or is not justified?
I am betting it is not.
Need help on this by someone who understands much better than I.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

KXAN spoke with a representative of Cartwright’s family who told us that in the past, she has struggled with some mental health issues.

Ya Think!!! Talk about an understatement.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote:KXAN spoke with a representative of Cartwright’s family who told us that in the past, she has struggled with some mental health issues.

Ya Think!!! Talk about an understatement.
And in other news....water is wet!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

MJR wrote:In the above story what could be done if you were to carry?
I am betting it is not.
As I understand Texas law, a judge or jury would likely find that use of force was justifiable in this instance. I am not a lawyer. Here is what one lawyer has to say about the use of force in Texas:
https://www.uslawshield.com/portal/texas-gun-law/
"A person may use force against another to the degree the person believes that it is reasonably necessary to protect themselves or a third person from another’s unlawful use of force."

This is what Texas says: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... m/PE.9.htm

My main take away from this story is not whether or not force in the form of a handgun was or was not justified. Rather, it is that, according to the news report, the OP did not guess he was going to be attacked as he was taking a Sunday morning walk with his daughter.

I don't know what the OP was thinking as I cannot read minds (just ask my ex-wives). I do know that I am a bad guesser. That is why the OP and I always carry: we are bad guessers. I cannot guess when the threat will present. I can be prepared, as the OP was prepared, to respond with violent force. However, the fact that I carry a handgun does not mean that I must respond with a handgun. In this case, although he was prepared to respond with force, the OP did not.

In my opinion, the teaching point here is that the violent threat will present and we must be prepared to respond. I cannot guess when the appropriate response will be deadly force. So I always carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ELB

Post by ELB »

MJR wrote:In the above story what could be done if you were to carry?
I am betting it is not.
She was choking him. I think that qualifies as deadly force.

Add in disparity of force: she was 23, and from what I can tell from her picture, looks to be in OK shape (at least not a trigglypuff; he looks to be a pudgy mid-50s.

Add in that he said he was losing consciousness. The attacker also stated she was trying to kill him, and while this came to light after the incident, her actions were clearly congruent with that.

I notice the police charged her with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon -- since the article does not mention any weapons, I am guessing that her arms qualified as the deadly weapon, since she was using them to choke with.

I think she qualified to be legally shot or stabbed.
USAF 1982-2005

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Not sure wether I would have tried to shoot her or just hurt her, if my first thought was to shoot her, I would have rolled my pistol over my shoulder and fired at point blank range. If I just wanted to get her to let go and hurt her to take the fight out of her, I would have reached back and took hold of her and then just fall straight back and let her body cushion my fall
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

For me, it's not so much whether I would shoot her in this exact scenario, but that we cannot control these events and when they happen and who knows how far this could have gone. Maybe I could fight her off and keep my kid safe and get the heck out of there which would be great. But what if I was overpowered? Totally possible when you are fighting a crazy and/or drugged person regardless of how big I am. What if she came out with a knife as she jumped on his back? What if she tried to grab his daughter?

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Texsquatch wrote:For me, it's not so much whether I would shoot her in this exact scenario, but that we cannot control these events and when they happen and who knows how far this could have gone. Maybe I could fight her off and keep my kid safe and get the heck out of there which would be great. But what if I was overpowered? Totally possible when you are fighting a crazy and/or drugged person regardless of how big I am. What if she came out with a knife as she jumped on his back? What if she tried to grab his daughter?
Without actually being in the fight most of it is speculation, from personal experiences most of what limits somebody is their ability to feel pain, if you can't hurt them, they'll keep fighting or attacking as the case maybe.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”