RIP - Fines for Signs

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 15

Re: RIP - Fines for Signs

Post by ScottDLS »

MeMelYup wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
locke_n_load wrote: ...
Scott, I know you know the law, but if you really do go through with this, please get some sort of legal representation before going through with it. I would go prepaid because I think it would be much cheaper and would really be a slam dunk for pretty much anyone who managed to pass the bar exam.

And my question: how do you get police to notice you once you get in concealed? Go to bathroom and switch to open carry? Could the company that runs the show ask you to leave because they can deny service to near everyone, and if you refused it would be just regular old trespassing? If they claimed it had nothing to do with your handgun?

If I really wanted to push the issue, I'd open carry right up to the entrance, but I think the loophole that they would use is that the show promoters are prohibiting me from carrying "loaded, and not zip tied". I don't believe they could get me on a criminal 30.05 trespass, because the reason for exclusion would be that I was carrying a handgun, and I have a LTC. However, in KP-108 AG Paxton seems to suggest that the right of civil trespass enforcement may still be available to the lessee (show promoter). So they would simply bar my entry.

My intent is really just to be able to carry where it is legal regardless of improperly posted restrictions, rather than become the proverbial "test case" via openly protesting the invalid restriction. So therefore if I manage to conceal and carry into the show, I will simply go about my business (armed). Somebody needs to push the point someday if we want to make progress, but I am not financially/legally prepared to do so, unless some sort of legal foundation wanted to support me. :banghead:
I don't think that was his intent. What he stated was that he was unable to prosecute a vendor for displaying a 30.06 sign on government property because they are not government.
My reading was more that he couldn't fine a city for allowing the non-government lessee to post the signs. There isn't a legal mechanism to fine private entities for posting the signs, even if they are legally unenforceable (which they are).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

Maybe a gofundme page for legal fees prior to the incident with the promise to refund money proportionally if not needed/used at all or in it's entirety?

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigtek »

If the signs on government property were neither posted by nor authroized by the government entity then is it a crime to take them down?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 15

Post by ScottDLS »

bigtek wrote:If the signs on government property were neither posted by nor authroized by the government entity then is it a crime to take them down?
Probably criminal mischief. If the lessee sets up a sign that says anything (welcome, get your free beer here, no Glocks, etc.) it's not a given that you have a right to tear it down.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”