NICS Firearm Background Check numbers for 2016

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

NICS Firearm Background Check numbers for 2016

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nic ... h_year.pdf

2016 Total: 27,538,673

Obama's tenure 2009-2016: 157,233,157

Since Nov 1998 the NICS system has done 253,217,165 background checks.

Not included are how many background checks were approved for purchase, which would be a good number to publish. Although that still wouldn't give a 1 to 1 correlation of actual purchases considering multiple firearms purchased at one time and purchases made in states like Texas that do not require an NICS check for LTC holders.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott B.

Re: NICS Firearm Background Check numbers for 2016

Post by Scott B. »

Some of that number are NICS background checks for licenses too. NSSF does some breakdowns on those numbers from time to time.

The new NICS system got off to a rough start last year, but I've noted lately that it seems to be running as intended.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

That is a lot of guns. It wasn't all me buying them. Someone else had to get a few. :patriot:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I also think that's a low ball number (with regards to comparing this to the number of guns being puchased) since, at least in Texas, an NICS check isn't required for purchases by folks with a CHL/LTC. I have not idea how many other states are like this.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

C-dub wrote:... I have not idea how many other states are like this.
Twenty-four other states, if I counted correctly. This includes states where either a license to carry or a license to purchase firearms qualifies.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... rmit-chart

I believe Kentucky runs NICS checks on all of their concealed deadly weapons license holders every month, which skews the number a bit as well.
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote:I believe Kentucky runs NICS checks on all of their concealed deadly weapons license holders every month, which skews the number a bit as well.
I wonder how much that costs and who pays for it. Kinda overkill just a bit? I would expect something like that from Kommiefornia, but not Kentucky.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

I double checked, yes Kentucky runs background checks every month on every license holder. I assume the Kentucky Legislature budgets for this, since, as Nevada showed, the Feds don't do it for free.

I found this document on the FBI website detailing NICS checks by month and by state for 2016:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... R_SSU4ru-Q

It breaks out "permit checks" from handguns, rifles, etc,
USAF 1982-2005

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

If you look on the FBI document posted on the sight mentioned by ELB, Kentucky shows 388 thousand and something checks. The second column says "permit rechecks", and they show "0". I would think legally someone could tear them a new one over that. It's a known fact that they recheck every permit holder, which is waisting someone's time and money. IANAL, but it sure looks fishy to me. :headscratch
Larry D. Price

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”